BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Shakeepuddn

A Simple Riddle

No. Just a simple little thing. A bit out of the ordinary for a riddle answer.
  3. Shakeepuddn

A Simple Riddle

Nah
  4. codybene

I'm Back

Greetings, my name is Cody and I am new here in this forum. Nice meeting you all. Although I have never heard of it, I am actually quite curious about what it is!
  5. Wilson

A Simple Riddle

Gestures involving.......
  6. Molly Mae

A Simple Riddle

Can has...
  7. rocdocmac

Ranks and Files : Dominoes

Possible solution ...
  8. rocdocmac

I now understand! Forget my previous stupid questions!
  9. TimeSpaceLightForce

the above gif was copied from googled image .. i guess it is also a puzzle: where you place all 28 pieces of the double six set..vertical and horizontal dominoes are allowed.
  10. Shakeepuddn

A Simple Riddle

No
  11. rocdocmac

What I'm trying to say is that, if the layout was made by using 2 complete domino sets, there should be two 0-0's and two 6-6's. In the figure there is only one 0-0 and one 6-6. So I guess that the given layout makes use of one 6-6 and one 0-0 only, but adding duplicate dominoes from a third set, e.g. a third 5-5.
  12. Wilson

A Simple Riddle

8mm
  13. Thalia

A Simple Riddle

Generic meaning... on a house? Cards?
  14. TimeSpaceLightForce

@Thalia the columns can contain two of any of 0 1 2 3 4 5 6.. (8squares)
  15. Yesterday
  16. Shakeepuddn

A Simple Riddle

Nah. Generic deck.
  17. Thalia

A Simple Riddle

18. Thalia

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. A domino consists of 2 squares. So while there are 56 squares, there's only 28 dominoes. So for example, A2 and A3 together are a single domino. TSLF- Do you want them arranged in an 8x7 grid like the picture? That would mean some rows and columns would contain more than one of a number. Is that correct?
  19. rocdocmac

Cutting pizza

All cuts should be vertical and in any direction ... I only emphasized that no horizontal cut is allowed, e.g. one could possibly divide a cake with three cuts to yield 8 pieces ... 2 vertical cuts and 1 horizontal cut! (1) 125251 pieces after 500 cuts (correct) (2) 3162 cuts gives 500704 pieces (also correct) (3) Never mind the 3rd answer since I reckon that it must be infinity, although 199999 cuts as a first approximation comes very, very close! However, there will always be a remainder of either 1 or a pretty large number. Therefore, 2 remains the minimum and maximum pieces-to-cuts ratio. I cannot, though, prove this mathematically (yet)! I wasn't aware of an entry at "Mathworld"! So, my question should actually have been a straight-forward quickie!
  20. Shakeepuddn

A Simple Riddle

Well, it's outside the box, I'll give you that : )
  21. phil1882

Cutting pizza

i dont really understand the question. your picture seem contrary to your description. your picture seems to suggest you can cut in any direction, but your description suggests all cuts have to be in the same direction. i'll solve both. for lines in any direction: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CircleDivisionbyLines.html 1/2*(n^2 +n +2), n=500; 125251 5000000 = 1/2*(n^2 +n +2) n=3162 for cuts in the same direction: each cut adds 1 new region. for 500 cuts, that 501 rejoins to get 5000000 peices 4999999 cuts are needed
  22. rocdocmac

Cutting pizza

Rather change "pizza" to an enormous 2D circle then! I used pizza as to eliminate any horizontal cut, but it will be a hell of a mess should one really had to cut a pizza into so many pieces!
  23. rocdocmac

Thank you Time-LSF! Good one, but ... Apology for raising this, but there is only one "double 0" and one "double 6" combination directly adjacent next to each other in the grid, although the total of 56 (7x8) matches twice the number of 28 domino pieces in a normal set! The "double 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5" are fine.
  24. plasmid

A Simple Riddle

25. Shakeepuddn

A Simple Riddle

Nope
  26. flamebirde

A Simple Riddle

27. TimeSpaceLightForce

Cutting pizza

1. Load more activity