BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Think about it..........EVERYTHING is made out of protons neutrons and electrons (simplflied due to other things such as quarks and such alike) but how do we THINK!!!!!!! how do those small things enable us to IMAGINE!!!! we can view anything we wish in our heads and how do these small things enable this to happen.

Also EMOTIONS!!!!!!!! HOW!!!!!!!! how do these particles and suchlike cause emothion such as love and guilt and pity???

Does anyone have any ideas???

I am very open to opinions on this topic as i myself have no clue

Thanks for reading

14 answers to this question

Atoms are like building blocks. They are made of building blocks too, but let's not go there :D atoms make up compounds... just the 114 different atoms or whatever make millions of complicated compounds, which make up everything and have energy and stuff, including life... we arent exactly sure how our brains work but we are constantly learning more about how our nerve cells as a whole make our brain and stuff. Think of a colony of ants. No single ant knows the whole picture of the colony, not even the queen (she knows the least, actually, she's just there to lay eggs), but each ant has things to do, jobs to carry out, all for the good of the colony, etc. There is no central leader of the colony, yet each ant has its own duties and stuff and together, as a whole, they make up the colony as if the colony was a living organism. That's kinda like our cells- they are "alive" but its not like each of our cells know's the big picture of what's going on, yet collectively, they form like a colony intelligence kinda thing- which is our intelligence, our mind, our hormones and chemicals and feelings and stuff.

At least that's my understanding of what I've come to believe about the wonder that is Life ;D

Its so much to try to fathom. Why particles too small to see dictate my being, control my health, and regulate my temperature. The thought alone the all matter is made of atoms that are constantly moving, I am incapable of comprehending!

This the line where science no longer satisfies and faith can be applied. With faith an explanation is not required nor requested! It just is! and in THAT you find satisfaction!

Its so much to try to fathom. Why particles too small to see dictate my being, control my health, and regulate my temperature. The thought alone the all matter is made of atoms that are constantly moving, I am incapable of comprehending!

This the line where science no longer satisfies and faith can be applied.

If you're incapable of comprehending that molecules are made of moving atoms, maybe you should spend more time learning how and why that is and you'll find that science does satisfy. No faith in anything is needed to do this.

With faith an explanation is not required nor requested! It just is! and in THAT you find satisfaction!

If the OP was satisfied with hearing "It just is", he wouldn't be asking for explanations. What is it you're asking him to have faith in?

This the line where science no longer satisfies and faith can be applied. With faith an explanation is not required nor requested! It just is! and in THAT you find satisfaction!

So not having an answer requires you to make one up?

That doesn't seem right

If you want to further discuss this, go to the Relgious Debate thread,

it's a more proper place for faith as an answer

I apologize that my personal beliefs and opinions offend the two of you! I was simply expressing my ideas, as that is what was asked. Apparently ‘Maximus’ is the only one who is “very open to opinions.”

“If you're incapable of comprehending that molecules are made of moving atoms, maybe you should spend more time learning how and why that is and you'll find that science does satisfy. No faith in anything is needed to do this.”

Allow me to clarify, its not that I don’t understand the concept and structure of atoms and molecules; My reason for saying that I was “incapable of comprehending” is because to imagine that this keyboard I’m typing on right now is constantly reconstructing its self as atoms shift and move directly beneath my finger tips is wild! I know its happening but the fact that I cannot see it (with a natural eye) makes it hard to believe, I have to know that is “just is!”

“So not having an answer requires you to make one up?

That doesn't seem right

If you want to further discuss this, go to the Relgious Debate thread,

it's a more proper place for faith as an answer”

That’s the problem right there! I’m not debating with you, and I was not declaring faith as the ‘solve all’ answer, it is strictly MY opinion! Why that makes you uneasy and a bit catty is beyond me. – should I blame that on my faith too?

I apologize that my personal beliefs and opinions offend the two of you! I was simply expressing my ideas, as that is what was asked. Apparently ‘Maximus’ is the only one who is “very open to opinions.”

You don't need to apologize for anything. Opinions and beliefs do not offend me. Being open to opinions does not mean never challenging them. If you're going to post here, you have to be prepared for any of your thoughts and ideas to be criticized by others with their thoughts and ideas about what you have to say. The discourse here would be pretty boring and superficial if we didn't discuss why we disagree with another's post.

Allow me to clarify, its not that I don’t understand the concept and structure of atoms and molecules; My reason for saying that I was “incapable of comprehending” is because to imagine that this keyboard I’m typing on right now is constantly reconstructing its self as atoms shift and move directly beneath my finger tips is wild!

You actually said you're incapable of comprehending it, but okay, so you're changing it to it being wild but you do comprehend it. So then how does science not satisfy and what is faith needed for? And faith in what?

I know its happening but the fact that I cannot see it (with a natural eye) makes it hard to believe, I have to know that is “just is!”

Well, you know it "just is" because that's what you learned through others teaching you science. But that's not the context you used "just is" in earlier.

You said, "This the line where science no longer satisfies and faith can be applied. With faith an explanation is not required nor requested! It just is! and in THAT you find satisfaction!"

You were telling the OP that if he has faith, he wouldn't require explanations and wouldn't request any and he would be satisfied knowing that it "just is". Do you see why you might get the kind of responses that you did?

You actually said you're incapable of comprehending it, but okay, so you're changing it to it being wild but you do comprehend it. So then how does science not satisfy and what is faith needed for? And faith in what?

The scientific theories of creation itself do not satisfy me! Now don’t get all hissy this is just me! But the big bang theory and the entire aspect of evolution has been disproved so many times. Now is it a lot to ask that one believe that an all knowing, all seeing God created man (not ape) from dust and thus we became? Yes, this is a bit far fetched, and hard for me to wrap my mind around to completely comprehend, but this has never been dis-proven in any way, and many who attempt to disprove, only return to confirm. Can I explain creation as I believe it without it merely sounding fiction? Probably not. I don’t have all the answers, and the only ones I do have are from a book written thousands of years ago! That in itself is a hard one to completely grasp! But that’s just me. That satisfies me where the big bang theory cannot.

You were telling the OP that if he has faith, he wouldn't require explanations and wouldn't request any and he would be satisfied knowing that it "just is". Do you see why you might get the kind of responses that you did?

I don’t feel that I use ‘faith’ as an excuse to neglect truth. And unfortunately the faith based culture lives under the stereotype of a naïve people, partly due to fault of our own. I feel that too often people use faith as a crutch. Instead of discerning the truth for oneself (whatever it may be) he or she quickly classifies them self as spiritual and then speaks on behalf of all ‘spiritual folks’ with comments and remarks that broadcast their ignorance and in return reflect upon the appearance of an entire culture!

And yes, I see where my original post can be misinterpreted, and can be argued. But how can you argue with a belief. Darwin- as much as we may differ in theory and belief I admire his humility concerning his beliefs, he refused discussions and debates regarding his own theory in attempt to avoid conflict and controversy.

The scientific theories of creation itself do not satisfy me! Now don’t get all hissy this is just me! But the big bang theory and the entire aspect of evolution has been disproved so many times....

Oh brother. Please, take it somewhere else. This has nothing to do with what I asked you about the OP's questions and it has nothing to do with the OP. We're not going to have this thread hi-jacked to talk about your erroneous notions that the Big Bang Theory and evolution have been disproven. That goes for everyone.

Here's a pseudo-religious theory from me.

String theory shows that all matter and energy are made of little loops of "stuff" that vibrates in a symphony to create the eleven dimensions of time-space. This includes every form of matter and describes how and why things work together. The harmony of the strings is the stuff of creation. The question (even for physicists) is how and why these strings of “stuff” vibrate in harmony, even in the light of the law of entropy. (Look up the laws of strings to see the basics of how strings function.) They seem contrary to the known laws of physics and operate under the command of some unknown force.

In any event, these strings vibrating make both the carbon compounds that create our brains, and the energy that flows through it. I call that energy spirit. As long as your spirit inhabits your brain, it creates chemicals that store in the brain, causing emotion, thought, and sentience. :)

Spirits create chemicals?

Has it actually been proven that their is a force or energy that causes emotions and things to occur? Or do diffferent people just have different ideas and opinions?

Im hoping to take my career after school into the field of biochemistry so would love to investigate this at some point in my life

Anyone else have any ideas how these things happen??

Writersblock was making an abstract guess, trying to connect science with spirit. But what he's basing his spiritual idea upon is something called 'string theory', which is that little loops of stuff, as writersblock said, make up everything. I do not personally support this theory... it is more of a speculation by bored scientists than a full blown theory. I have not followed it but as far as i can tell there really isnt any major evidence saying that string theory is likely, it's one of many "unification theories"

Check the newest on it, they have really solid mathmatical evidence for it. Of course it's one of the "unprovables" like black holes - only math and observation surrounding the theory, but it's a very interesting explanation for the so called quantum/reletivistic paradox.