BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Chew on it some more - let me know when you find identical apples !!!

If it takes a man a week to walk a fortnight how many apples make a pair?

Edited by Lost in space

23 answers to this question

I disagree with your premise. If you need "identical" anything to define a pair, then you have just eliminated the word from practical usage. NOTHING has an exact identical. Shoes in a pair, for example, are far from identical and are purposefully NOT identical. The only meaningful measure of "identical" that a "pair" would need is a modifier that allows distinction from among "other." For example, if you have 10 oranges and 3 apples on a table and ask me to get a pair of apples, I will choose any 2. However if you have 4 granny smith apples and 4 fuji's, you either leave the term "pair" open to the hearer's discretion, or you must use a modifier to further limit the hearer's interpretation of your words - either a pair of reds or a pair of greens.

That being given, the answer for a pair is “two” for any group of things distinguishable, by any given characteristic, from among other things.

Well geez ... if I reckoned that I could walk a fortnight in half a fortnight, then I would probably reckon that I could have a pair of apples with only 1 apple and hey, while I'm on a roll, I reckon first thing in the morning I'll tell the boss to cut my schedule in half and I'm reckonin' he'll still pay me the same. :D

Writers block you have'nt got, and you are going a little deep.

Magicians have the answer.

Remember, if you purchase a travel ticket to go around the world the last half of the journey is coming back. Would a return fair from a given destination be cheaper - that's also a clue.

On the other hand, if it does NOT take a man a week to walk a fortnight,

then any answer makes a valid implication. B))

Three apples, or none at all.

What? This isn't trivial pursuit were most answers are none, ( and most questions are What? Instead of Which? )

Edited by Lost in space

You claim that it takes a man 1 week to walk 2 weeks, so either everything only counts for half of this man and the answer is 1, or that is just extraneous information and the answer is still 2.

Yes, I see that I connected your "hint" and question based upon an assumption. Sorry 'bout that.

I'd say that if the week and the pair are the operative measures, then for this man, 4 apples make a pair.

Yes, I see that I connected your "hint" and question based upon an assumption. Sorry 'bout that.

I'd say that if the week and the pair are the operative measures, then for this man, 4 apples make a pair.

Interesting thought!

on or off??? i am 110011

or use Fermats last theorium. That may work?

Writers block you have'nt got, and you are going a little deep.

Magicians have the answer.

Remember, if you purchase a travel ticket to go around the world the last half of the journey is coming back. Would a return fair from a given destination be cheaper - that's also a clue.

one apple (and a mirror or polaroid/digital camera... or a knife...

i'm not saying its a bad thing but i find a LOT of confusion in your posts...

i'm not saying its a bad thing but i find a LOT of confusion in your posts...

one apple (and a mirror or polaroid/digital camera... or a knife...

Easier with the clue - there is another answer too.

If you say this out loud, it kind of has a rhythm to it. I don't think any number of apples make a pear ... I mean a pair.

Yes, verbally it's a trick question (maybe)

But this was not verbal.

Still unanswered

Well...

if everything is divided by 2, then 1 apple (which is identical to itself I guess)

In as much as two organic things are never exact, then there are no pairs (proven - like snow flake prob.), however the text has a wording that inimates something else.

what if it was a tiny acorn?

No matter how much a man walks(he can walk a week in a fortnight or a fortnight in a week) A pair constitutes TWO. :)

Maybe in your puzzle a week is identical to a fortnight . So 2 apples constituting a pair are also identical , making one apple the mirror image of the other. :D

Maybe in your puzzle a week is identical to a fortnight . So 2 apples constituting a pair are also identical , making one apple the mirror image of the other. :D

No matter how much a man walks(he can walk a week in a fortnight or a fortnight in a week) A pair constitutes TWO. :)

Works for one way - still another answer to come (with explanation, anyone can say a number)

Which is the odd one out? a pair of gloves, a pair of socks, a pair of underpants?

Gloves. you need legs to put on a pair of socks and underpants.

Even though this has nothing to do with anything, I can't help but answer:

underpants, because gloves and socks are actually 2 things making the pair