BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

superprismatic

Question

11 answers to this question

so at first when i read this i thought you said/meant bitwise operations. And well I found out (or my program did) that and,or,not,xor all dont work if anyone cared. but im thinking now (as i reread it) you mean that the numbers are just ordered differently in a consistent way. anyway whether i messed up or misread it im done thinking about it for right now maybe later.

so that way was a little easier to program and Im so dense bonanvas response sailed right over my head when i first read the problem and once i figured out what i was really suppose to do I didnt reread it. I still am a little lost on bushindo's response but I can never fully understand what he says anyway. Is there a way to do this other then the program or brute force method. I know there's some quick eliminations you can do, but other then that the brute force method would have taken a while.

uzmlidvhrt (it's German)

so that way was a little easier to program and Im so dense bonanvas response sailed right over my head when i first read the problem and once i figured out what i was really suppose to do I didnt reread it. I still am a little lost on bushindo's response but I can never fully understand what he says anyway. Is there a way to do this other then the program or brute force method. I know there's some quick eliminations you can do, but other then that the brute force method would have taken a while.

uzmlidvhrt (it's German)

I don't know german, but I'm pretty sure that solution looks more like Klingon than german.

I think you used the following scrambling transformation for the above solution

(a, b, c, d, e) --> ( c, a, b, e, d)

If you brute forced this then you probably missed that 1 english word that is technically the 'true' solution among the 120 possible words. The answer i posted earlier is the plain text english word, but with the letters scrambled up.

Edited by bushindo

oh no i was just kidding i got the answer, I used a program to out put all possible answers and found it among the giberrish ones

Ah, i see. You got me there. I also examined this with a brute force method, although there were only 120 options, which are not too bad. If someone found the solution by hand with some ingenious elimination method, I'd like to hear about it.

yah well i started by hand and i eliminated anything that would make any one start with 111-- definitely and 11--- probably but after writing a couple of the still viable answers down i decided to write the program. The magic of computers.