BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pouring water I.

Pouring water I. - Back to the Water and Weighing Puzzles

If you had a 5-liter bowl and a 3-liter bowl, and an unlimited access to water, how would you measure exactly 4 liters?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Pouring Water I. - solution

Fill the 5-litre bowl and overspill water to the 3-litre bowl, which you empty afterwards. From the 5-litre bowl overspill the 2 remaining litres to the 3-litre bowl. Refill the 5-litre bowl and fill in the 3-litre bowl (with 1 litre), so there stay the 4 required litres in the 5-litre bowl.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps a few more steps--more wasting of water too. But it works.

1) Fill the 3. Pour it into the 5.

2) Fill the 3 again. Pour 2 into the 5. 1 remains in the 3.

3) Empty the 5. Pour the 1 from the 3 into the 5.

4) Fill the 3 again. Pour it into the 5 that already has 1 in it. Voila!

That's correct. BTW, this one was mentioned in a movie called Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) with Bruce Willis - measuring 4 gallons of water at a fountain. For more check http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112864/trivia - 3rd paragraph from the bottom where it begins as follows: "There are two solutions to the water jug riddle ...".

• 1 month later...
Perhaps a few more steps--more wasting of water too. But it works.

1) Fill the 3. Pour it into the 5.

2) Fill the 3 again. Pour 2 into the 5. 1 remains in the 3.

3) Empty the 5. Pour the 1 from the 3 into the 5.

4) Fill the 3 again. Pour it into the 5 that already has 1 in it. Voila!

Doesn't work that way. If you were able to pour out only 2 units of water from the 3 unit bowl (as stated in line 2) then why not just do that twice, and you would have 4 parts. Point of the riddle is that you are not able to Eyeball 2 parts (meaning the bowls must not be marked or there would be no point for the riddle) You need to figure out a way to accurately measure 4 parts Without Guesswork...

Best I can figure is like this.

Fill the 5 unit bowl. Fill the 3 unit bowl from the 5 unit bowl leaving 2 units in the 5 unit bowl. Mark the 2 unit water line in the 5 unit bowl. Empty the 3 unit bowl. Transfer the pre measured 2 units from bowl 5 into bowl 3. Now bowl 3 has 2 units of water in it for sure! Refill the 5 unit bowl to your mark (2 units) and the dump the other 2 units in the other bowl into that one. B. I. N. G. O and BINGO was her NAME-----O

But that's assuming that you were able to mark the bowls, and I do not think that that is allowed in the rules. So it's still not really valid..lol

Pouring water I. - Back to the Water and Weighing Puzzles

If you had a 5-litre and a 3-litre bowl and access to water. How would you measure exactly 4 litres?

Pouring Water I. - solution

Fill the 5-litre bowl and overspill water to the 3-litre bowl, which you empty afterwards. From the 5-litre bowl overspill the 2 remaining litres to the 3-litre bowl. Refill the 5-litre bowl and fill in the 3-litre bowl (with 1 litre), so there stay the 4 required litres in the 5-litre bowl.

Hey Rookie. I'll start by saying that I LOVE this website and the time you put into it. It is a Serious Accomplishment to get your site featured on GOOGLE's homepage. Congrads... Now with that out of the way...

I have read through LOTS of your puzzles and such, and all have well written explainations, EXCEPT THIS ONE. I read it 30 times, AND I CAN NOT MAKE SENCE OF IT! When you say overspill water into the 3 litre bowl and "from the 5 litre bowl overspill the remaining 2 litres,,, WAIT........ OOOOOOHHHHHHHH I GET ITTTT!!!! LMAO

Very Cool!

@Veracity

The point is: You have already got 3 litres in the 5 litre bowl, so you dont have to guess what 2 litres will be. 2 Litres will exactly fill the 5 liter bowl, because 2+3=5. So, maybe now it will make sense.. And it IS valid.

@Veracity

The point is: You have already got 3 litres in the 5 litre bowl, so you dont have to guess what 2 litres will be. 2 Litres will exactly fill the 5 liter bowl, because 2+3=5. So, maybe now it will make sense.. And it IS valid.

Yeah, I know, That's why I said "Oh, I Got It" Just took me a minute. I was unclear on his use of the term "Overspill"

I have never heard the word in fact. Had he said POUR the water from the 5 liter bowl, it would have made sense to me. It just took me a minute, that's all. When I heard overspill it had me thinking he was putting the 3 liter bowl in the 5 liter bowl and overfilling it until water OVERSPILLED into the 5 liter bowl. lol

No Doubt his answers are valid, if they were not he would not be all over the front page of Google... But thanks for your 2 cents worth..

• 1 month later...

You can't mark the water line since this is not exact. Do the following:

1. Fill 5 liter and pour into 3 liter container leaving 2 liters (in the 5 liter container)

2. Empty 3 liter container (no rules about emptying out water) and pour the 2 liters from the 5 into the 3 liter container leaving 1 liter of head space.

3 Fill 5 liter and pour as much as the remainder of the 3 liter will handle (1 liter from step 2) leaving 4 liters exactly in the 5 liter contain. Drink the rest of the water in the 3 liter container

• 2 weeks later...

I have the puzzles come up on my google home page every time I refresh and am loving doing them.

I know this isn't the exact way to do this puzzle and that it is actually kinda just a cheap way. (also my maths could be off, never was good at maths) However couldn't you just half fill both containers...? I mean half of 5 is 2.5 and half of three is 1.5 and 2.5 + 1.5 = 4?

I mean.. yeah its kinda a cheat way. But its what I originally thought of. It also wouldn't exactly be accurate because you wouldn't be able to exactly find half way in each bowl.. but still... It'd kinda work

Pour water in half of each bowl. So you have 1.5 litre ( 3Litre bowl) 2.5 ( 5 litre bowl)

Then pour the 1.5 litre on the 2.5 litre, thus you have 4 litre.

I totally agree that this method is valid:

Fill the 3, pour it into the 5. Then fill the 3 again, pour into the 5 until the 5 is full. Now you have 1. Empty the 5 and pour the 1 into the 5. Fill the 3, pour it into the 5. Totally works. So does the way indicated at the beginning though.

I don't know about this half filling thing, you'd have to be really good at eying "half" and I think the other couple ways are more exact.

fill the 3 litre. pour it into the 5 litre. fill the 3 litre again and pour it into the 5 litre until it's filled. there's 1 litre exactly left in the 3 litre. empty the 5 litre, pour the 1 remaining litre into it from the 3 litre. refill the 3 litre and pour it into the 5 litre bowl. there is now 4 litre exactly in the 5 litre bowl

Actually to do justice to loserfreak his explanation was indeed correct.... look

you fill the 3 then pour it into the 5 , you now have 0 in the 3 and 3 in the five then you fill the three again, pouring it into the 5, since you cannot obviously overspill water making the problem unfair you cannot put the entire three into the five for that would make it 6 in the 5. So to correspond to this you now have a full 5 and 1 left over in the 3. Empty the 5 and pour the 1 left over liter into it.

You Now have 0 in the 3 and 1 in the five. refill the 3 and pour it into the 5 leaving you 0 in the 3 and 4 in the 5.

• 1 month later...

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Fill 3 liter with water, pour into 5 liter (now 5 liter has 3 liters of water)

2. Fill 3 liter with water again, pour into 5 liter until it's full the 5 liter is full.

3. You should have exactly 1 liter in the 3 liter bowl.

4. Dump the water out of the 5 liter bowl.

5. Pour the remaining 1 liter into the 5 liter bowl.

6. Finally, fill the 3 liter bowl with water and pour it into the 5 liter bowl, voilla exactly 4 liters in the 5 liter bowl!

• 2 months later...

ok, all yous, listen up cuz i gots it... sorry for the hillbilly talk, i've been in the HS play too long XD

first you fil the 5 litre one all the way to the top, pour 3 litres into the small one, dump it out, then put the remaing water in the 5 litre in another container, repeat, and you have 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I see a small thing with this puzzle... It isn't possible to have exactly 3/4/5 liters in a bowl, because sometime during the solution, you would spill some water. So, if you are extremely careful, or you've put a lid or something over the top of the bowl, the water should not spill out, but mostly, even one drop of water would spill out, making it almost 3/4/5 liters. Ok, I'm starting to confuse myself.

You fill the 3 liter ones

Then pour the water from the 3 liter in the 5 liter. you now have 2 liter of water space left in the 5 liter jar.

You fill the 3 liter with water again

Then you pour water from the 3 liter container into the 5 liter comtainer

when the 5 liter is full you know you have ONE liter left in the 3 liter container.

Just curious. Why would you not just spill the 5 into the 3 catching the overspill both times? Seems the easiest to me.

Because what makes the riddle challenging is you don't have anything besides the 3 litre and 5 litre bowls to hold water in.

First fill the water in 3litres bowl

Then pour the water in bowl to 5litres bowl

Then fill the 3ltrs bowl again and pour the water in 5ltr bowl

they left 1ltr of water in 3ltr bowl.

Empty the 5ltr bowl and then pour the 1ltr in that bowl.Again fill the 3ltr bowl full of water.

Then pour the entire water in the 5ltr bowl.it will contain exact 4ltrs of water.