BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Forum Upgrade

Note that this forum will be upgraded to new version shortly. This is a major upgrade with many changes (visual and functional):

IP.Board 3

IP.Blog 2

IP.Gallery 2

July 3, 2009 - Forum Upgraded Successfully

This is just a short list of new features. Don't hesitate to let me know YOUR favorite feature ;)

Board

- registration "question and answer" to combat spam bots

- better topic/forum subscription controls

- view new content: you can go directly to the first new post you have not read yet (which is better than in the old version when you went to the last new comment and you had to go up and find the first post in the thread you have not read)

- watched content (subscribed topics/forums) visible on the forum home page

- more control over "friends", mutual friends (adding and removing friends is now a mutual option)

- per-group signature restrictions (at last :-)

- search index (no more reposts due to hard searching? let's see)

- gravatar support

- reputation logs (I can now edit a member's reputation points and also view the record of ratings that member has left for others and the ratings others have left for that member)

- enhanced watched topics/forums (displays the number of new topics or posts since your last visit and visit only them)

- filter forum by new topics (you can now filter a forum using the filter options bar at the bottom of the page to show only new topics posted since your last visit)

- I can also optionally allow members to delete their vote and re-vote in polls (so the "Solved" functionality can be edited by topic starter - with newly-created polls only)

- reputation system (positive and negative reputation points) - content highlighted after 50 points

- enter media directly in posts (eg. youtube video)

- separate button for spoiler directly visible in "add reply"

Personal Conversations (instead of old Personal Messages)

- invite other members to conversations instead of forwarding/copying the message

- fast reply

- each participant apart from the topic starter can choose to leave a conversation at any time

- each participant can also view all participants and see the last time they read the conversation

- search private conversations

SEO (Search Engine Optimization)

- Semantically correct HTML

- Removal of "lo-fi" version (so that when you search and find this forum you go to the full version) - no more duplicating content (possibility for customizable skin for mobiles only)

- mode (eg. linear or outline) can be changed in user panel and search engines should not "freely" choose in which mode they present the search results (only linear mode should be indexed) - reducing confusion when entering the site with different mode/layout

- friendly URLs (of course the old URLs are still working - they are just "redirected")

To show a forum (My Test Forum): www.board.com/forums/index.php?showforum=10

New possible way: www.board.com/forums/forum/10/my-test-forum

To show a topic (My Test Topic): www.board.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99

New possible way: www.board.com/forums/topic/99/my-test-topic

To show a user (Matt Mecham): www.board.com/forums/index.php?showuser=30

New possible way: www.board.com/forums/user/30/matt-mecham

Administration improvements

- navigation, searching, better integration, permissions, templates etc.

- nice for me :-)

Blog & Gallery

- integrated searching (search everything)

- site blog

- image editing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaaggh! My eyes!!!! Too bright! Too shiny!

Seriously though, I miss the old Brainden Logo at the top of the screen.

I agree. Can we get a color changing (maybe formatting) option in the dropdown menu at the bottom left to allow us to see this in a more BD-classic style?

does this mean that we can kiss goodbye to the annoying can't-send-PM-again-until-yymmdd thingy? :D I'm excited!

Yes, for a testing period.

Aaaaggh! My eyes!!!! Too bright! Too shiny!

Oh well, I can adjust.

Seriously though, I miss the old Brainden Logo at the top of the screen.

The old BrainDen logo is back ;)

I agree. Can we get a color changing (maybe formatting) option in the dropdown menu at the bottom left to allow us to see this in a more BD-classic style?

You could and I might look into that later.

I think it looks great! There are certainly a lot of changes...It'll be hard to get used to calling them PCs instead of PMs. :P

I'm curious as to how the reputation system will work though...what causes a change in reputation points?

Rookie, great job with the changes. It might get some getting used to but I love the reputation thing and the PC's (personal conversation, not to be confused with the personal computer), and the full editor coming up for the fast reply

Did you have to shut it down for that whole time?

I think it looks great! There are certainly a lot of changes...It'll be hard to get used to calling them PCs instead of PMs. :P

I'm curious as to how the reputation system will work though...what causes a change in reputation points?

Your vote (+ or -) changes the reputation points. BTW, I have given you 1 testing positive point ;) I am curious about the reputation as well. Fair approach from active majority is required.

Where's the TOP button, I'm too lazy to scroll?! :huh:

I'll get back to you on rest of the stuff when I get used to this ;)

Interesting how people used to interact with BD - TOP button. I clicked it maybe twice :lol: . Maybe trying "Home" on your keyboard might fill the hole ;)

Did you have to shut it down for that whole time?

Yes, I worked on the tuning day and night (literally).

Your vote (+ or -) changes the reputation points. BTW, I have given you 1 testing positive point ;) I am curious about the reputation as well. Fair approach from active majority is required.

Oh, now I see...I hadn't noticed the +/- in the bottom right. That's cool, thanks. :D

The board might be upgraded but I am still the same - I delete off topic posts (just like the yours you are asking about).

I could not see any of mine but i fiurged it out my comp was just being stuped. Sorry for the off topic post! The invite opption will be grate with BTSC in Mafia i love it makes are lives easer.

Edited by Magic_luver101

Is the "Reputation" for the user, or for the riddle/post itself? I am just not quite sure how it works. I had accidentally clicked it on someone when it first was up on the 2nd, before it shut down for a good while. I went back and looked just barely and it now says "1" on his, but there is a comment left by him under that one and it is "0" so that leads me to believe it is just per comment/post.

Oh, and great job Rookie! I think it is going to take a bit of getting used to, but it is fabulous ;)

Is the "Reputation" for the user, or for the riddle/post itself? I am just not quite sure how it works. I had accidentally clicked it on someone when it first was up on the 2nd, before it shut down for a good while. I went back and looked just barely and it now says "1" on his, but there is a comment left by him under that one and it is "0" so that leads me to believe it is just per comment/post.

Based on my observations, people can upvote or downvote individual posts, which retain their own reputations. Then the total reputation score for a person is the sum of all of the post's scores and is shown on their profile page. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Based on my observations, people can upvote or downvote individual posts, which retain their own reputations. Then the total reputation score for a person is the sum of all of the post's scores and is shown on their profile page. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Edit: Sorry, where will it say on on the profile page? Does anyone know? Also - are hyperlinks and stuff like that the same? Is it still the same, as for marking a riddle as Solved? Does all of that work the same?

Edited by MrsP

Hey Rookie, if someone doesn't any comments on their page, how do you post a new comment? o.O I can't find the button huh.gif

<(^-^)>

If member has not allowed comments on his/her profile than you can not comment there.

The comments can be allowed in "My Settings - Profile - Change Profile Information - Enable Profile Comments"

Oh, and great job Rookie! I think it is going to take a bit of getting used to, but it is fabulous ;)

Reputation is per comment and it adds to the total reputation of user. Negative points lower the total reputation of user. Just like Frost wrote.

Edit: Sorry, where will it say on on the profile page? Does anyone know? Also - are hyperlinks and stuff like that the same? Is it still the same, as for marking a riddle as Solved? Does all of that work the same?

Everything should work normally.

Rookie, look at your profile page. The "My Information" box in the center near the top has the information all bunched at the top and not connected with the bold headings at left. All the other profile pages (mine included) seem to have the same problem.

Otherwise, it will take some adjusting, but looks good.

Edit to add: The "Contact Info" box (email/web site) to the right of the "My Info" box has the same problem.

Edited by seeksit

2 things.

1- Sorry about earlier Rookie, I was just testing it to see what the rankings were, plus I figured they were still fair to the players that have them.

2- Do you think there's any way we could get an option where the thread starter has infinite editing time? This would be particularly important/fantastic to have in the games forum because it would allow the host to make necessary changes. I don't know if the new upgrade would make something like that easy to apply or not. But I wanted to ask anyways. ^_^