BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ender's Game Mafia

~Introduction: The Near Future~

It is a short time after the Formic Wars, in which mankind was saved from complete annihilation by the military genius of one man, Mazer Rackham. As a result of the wars, humankind enters a shaky alliance to combat the Formics with the formation of an international military unit, the International Fleet (IF). In preparation for an anticipated third invasion, the IF maintains an interstellar school to find and train future fleet commanders. The world's most talented children are taken at a very young age to a training center known as the Battle School. From Battle School, only the elite students are promoted on to Command School, where they are trained to lead Earth's interstellar fleet of warships in its next and possibly final confrontation with the Formics.

It is here in Command School that we meet our future heros and mankind's only hope in the coming war. Ender Wiggin, the very best military mind to ever grace Battle School and the pinnacle of Earth's hope, is reunited with his former classmates. Bean, the only student to actually score higher than Ender in Battle School tests and the highest scoring student ever known to the IF, stands only two feet tall to Ender's right. He is strikingly small for his age but has a knack for knowledge. To Ender's left is Petra, one of only a handful of girls to ever attend Battle School and the only girl to graduate it. Petra was the first person to befriend Ender and teach him the indispensable skill of sharp-shooting. Much later in life, she develops a strong and lasting relationship with Bean. Behind them stand Carn Carby and Crazy Tom, Australian and British veterans respectively. Both have issues with authority and perform better under stress. Crazy Tom seems to actually become "saner" as the situation gets more tense. Dink Meeker stands there too, hands in his pockets. A great strategist, Dink persuades Ender to act with more independence from tradition, to act intuitively and to react with lethal power. He is joking referred to as "a Child of the Mind" because of his philosophical and unorthodox tactics.

In command of Battle School and one of Ender's first mentors is Col. Graff. An overweight military bureaucrat, Col. Graff is a man of many talents, primarily training Ender and saving his own butt. Eventually, Col. Graff takes a true liking to Ender and becomes his care-taker of sorts during the final Formic War.

Back on Earth we find two people instrumental in future world wars between the nations whose only reason to be allied was fear of the Formics; Peter Wiggin and Virlomi. Peter Wiggin is Ender's older brother and was seen as too aggressive and manipulative to attend Battle School. Jaded and somewhat jealous of his younger brother's accomplishments, Peter sets out to become Hegemon (or supreme ruler) of Earth. His talent for persuasion and rabble-rousing are unparalleled. Virlomi left Battle School and became the spiritual and physical reawakening of India by assuming the role of a goddess. A solid tactician and crafty manipulator herself, Virlomi was instrumental in orchestrating India's Earth-side war against the Middle East; sabotage and misdirection her key tenets.

Opposite our Human heros, we find the Formics (or Buggers as they are less affectionately known). The Formic species consists of hive-minded colonies that are directed by queens. Formic queens communicate instantaneously with their drones and live in vast underground colonies that are pitch black and confusing for humans to navigate. Ender claims they view things via heat signature. Those unfortunate enough to have seen one describe them as "ant-like monsters" larger than most bears.

The Formics made two assaults on humanity: One, the First Invasion, left the Earth itself ravaged. Both Human and Formic ships were slow and clunky during the war. Eventually, humanity was able to repulse the Formics, but at heavy cost. The Second Invasion was an attempt by the Formics to colonize the Earth. The human ships were still, for the most part, slow, but the Formics had made incredible technological advancements. They defeated most of the International Fleet but as the Formics approached the Earth, a small reserve force led by Mazer Rackham made a suicidal charge against them. Mazer, who had carefully analyzed videos of the previous battles, guessed which Formic ship was commanding the rest and destroyed it - resulting in victory. Unlike the novels, however, the Buggers are not going to attempt civility with humankind. Instead, they seek only to destroy Mazer Rackham, his protege Ender, and any other human who stands in their way.

Deep in outer space, we meet the independent factor in this battle for interstellar supremacy; the Descolada Virus. The Descolada is a quasi-conscious self-modifying organism capable of infecting any form of life. Once infected, the life-form literally liquifies itself from the inside out as the Descolada unzips the victim's DNA and attempts in insert itself into the genetic code. It is eventually revealed that the creators of the Descolada may be intelligent life forms, sending out the virus for a number of reasons including as a means of enslaving other sentient species. Two thing are certain about the virus: 1. You DO NOT want to catch the Descolada Virus and 2. When you do, your days are numbered.

________________________________________________________________________________

Roles

Buggers (Bad Guys) - Have BTSC - Win by killing all Humans and the Descolada

Hive Queen - Can RID kill each night

Drone #1 - Night Spy

Drone #2 - Night Block

Drone #3 - Vote Manipulation (Can change another player’s vote by PM’ing host. Vote change will not be posted.)

Ender’s Jeesh (Good Guys) - Some BTSC - Win by being last faction standing

Ender - Can kill each night

Peter - Can choose to make vote count x2, x1 or x0 each day,

Can end the lynch early once

Bean - Night Spy (If Bugger, it will only reveal “Bugger” not “Queen/Drone”) - Has BTSC with Petra

Petra - Night Save - Has BTSC with Bean

Virlomi - Night Redirect (Make “A” target “C” instead of “x”)

Crazy Tom - Night Kidnap (player cannot act or be targeted) 33% chance of role reveal in Night post

If Ender dies, takes over Kill role (knows who Ender is - NO BTSC)

Carn Carby - Night Block

Dink Meeker - Every Other Night Shield (removes all targets on a chosen player)

Col. Graff - Rolls a die for Night Action

1 - Spy, 2 - Save, 3 - Redirect, 4 - Kidnap, 5 - Block, 6 - Vote manipulation (either x2 or cancel another players vote, your choice)

Descolada Virus (Independent) - Win by: Last Man Standing

Descolada Virus - Odd Nights: Picks a player to infect, gains his/her ability. Player is NOT notified and initially uneffected.

(If Ender is chosen, redirect to random player.) Can use ability that night or save for later. When ability is used, that player will die.

Even Nights: Same as above, but must RID player to infect.

________________________________________________________________________________

Basic Mafia Rules Apply Here:

Day/Night Cycles are 24 hours unless otherwise stated.

In the case of a TIE during a Lynch, both live.

For all RID characters, there is no penalty for incorrect RIDs.

Any other questions, just PM me.

Roster:

1. Kat

2. Crazypainter

3. Jarze

4. Reaymond

5. Someguy

6. Lost in space

7. Izzy

8. Grey Cells

9. Clozobozo

10. Limey

11. Magic_luver

12. Derrai

13. Eeeeep

14. Randro

Since you all have had your Roles for several hours already, I am shortening Night 1 to get this game going. ALL PMS MUST BE IN BY 4:30pm EST. That is roughly 14 hours from now.

Good Luck Guys! Let's make this a good one!

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Addendum to the Rules:

An action that is unsuccessful (i.e. a Save on an un-targeted player or the Block of an inactive player) will not show up in the Night Post.

Kidnapped players are unable to act for one Night/Day cycle, which means they cannot vote in the Lynch after they are kidnapped. They will be released the following Night.

~Night 1: Kidnappers' Caper~

Crazy Tom paced back and forth on the bridge of the Command School, debating who to kidnap. He knew that by locking someone up for the night, he would have a 1 in 3 chance of discovering that person's Role and perhaps saving Humanity once and for all. Crazy Tom had made up his mind and rushed down several narrow halls and slid down a ladder to the fighter-plane deck. Boarding a fighter jet, Crazy Tom set out and managed capture Magic_Luver and lock her in the bowls of his ship. Both waited patiently while the facial recognition scan ran its course to determine whether Magic_Luver is friendly or foe.

High in Earth's orbit, Grey Cells slept fitfully aboard his ship, tossing and turning from violent nightmares. He awoke suddenly, soaked in sweat with the mage of a Bugger burning in his brain. Too frightened to leave his bunk, Grey Cells remained in his room for the remainder of the evening.

Elsewhere aboard the Command School decks, Col. Graff sat in his cushioned leather chair and pondered what action to take this evening. Unable to make up his mind, Col. Graff rolled a die, which landed on 4. A kidnap, he smiled to himself. Well, I have had a funny feeling in my gut lately...Better listen to my stomach like I always do. "Guards, detain Derrai at once and bring him to me for questioning." Thus, Derrai was brought to Col. Graff's office where he remained under interrogation for one night and one day. Unfortunately for Col. Graff, his interrogation tactics were unable to force any information from Derrai and his Role remained a secret.

In the blackness of the lunar night, a Bugger recon ship crept stealthy up behind a human communications satellite and hacked into the network. Breaking into a personnel database, the Buggers were able to obtain some biographical information of importance before being discovered and booted from the system.

Flying blindingly fast through space, a basketball sized comet crashed into the hull of an interstellar ship, causing minor damage. Luckily the damage was repaired before the ship experienced any catastrophic failures. The comet, however, contained within it a most unwelcome guest. The Descolada Virus had attached itself to the comet and was now aboard the vessel, lurking in the air vents, stalking its next host. As an unsuspecting life-form passed by, the Descolada Virus made its move and infected the being without the slightest detection. It is only a matter of time now before the Virus attempts to insert itself into the host’s genetic code, ultimately killing it.

Aboard Crazy Tom's fighter-jet, the facial recognition scan had completed its check of Magic_Luver and was unable to create a match. Frustrated, Crazy Tom decided to keep Magic_Luver in her cell until the dawn of Night 2.

Roster:

1. Kat

2. Crazypainter

3. Jarze

4. Reaymond

5. Someguy

6. Lost in space

7. Izzy

8. Grey Cells

9. Clozobozo

10. Limey

11. Magic_luver - KIDNAPPED

12. Derrai - KIDNAPPED

13. Eeeeep

14. Randro

Short and sweet, not a lot of action to go on for Night 1.

Day 1 ends at 3:00pm EST tomorrow. Let the voting begin!

Looks like this will be interesting, guessing that kidnap victims can not talk till they are free.

Also can kidnappers be kidnapped?

No deaths - were looking good! Tough, the virus is out there, not GC, he could be the Hives killer, but somehow it was stopped. I might tip my hat to the person who did that if it saved a life. I'd vote for GC on the strength of no death unless the hive only had RID kill ...

I'd like to know more from GC

This should be a cake walk, we just need to get the votes right. And paint targets for Ender.

My schedule is mad tomorrow and the day after I have a 12 hours of travel and won't connect till late, mainly for a read through.

Yes - Magic_Luver as a condition of your incarceration, you are forbidden to post until released. Please refrain. (Although I very much appreciate the compliment :D )

Well I guess we did good last night. I wonder what kept the baddies from acting :huh:

I don't know about GC, it does seem like a block but I can't be sure.

I'll just cast a random vote and we'll see what that brings...

Roster:

1. Kat

2. Crazypainter

3. Jarze - Voting for Clozobozo

4. Reaymond

5. Someguy

6. Lost in space

7. Izzy

8. Grey Cells

9. Clozobozo

10. Limey

12. Derrai - KIDNAPPED

13. Eeeeep

14. Randro

Looks like this will be interesting, guessing that kidnap victims can not talk till they are free.

Also can kidnappers be kidnapped?

No deaths - were looking good! Tough, the virus is out there, not GC, he could be the Hives killer, but somehow it was stopped. I might tip my hat to the person who did that if it saved a life. I'd vote for GC on the strength of no death unless the hive only had RID kill ...

I'd like to know more from GC

This should be a cake walk, we just need to get the votes right. And paint targets for Ender.

My schedule is mad tomorrow and the day after I have a 12 hours of travel and won't connect till late, mainly for a read through.

Did you come to that conclusion through the post..as in a clue?

Unreality, is that a clue for us...shall I continue to assume LIS is right?

And the Kidnapped usually dont talk, unless tortured, you are right. Right?

Roster:

1. Kat

2. Crazypainter

3. Jarze - Voting for Clozobozo

4. Reaymond

5. Someguy - Voting for Eeeeep

6. Lost in space

7. Izzy

8. Grey Cells

9. Clozobozo

10. Limey

12. Derrai - KIDNAPPED

13. Eeeeep

14. Randro

Okay, JarZe is correct, we really should get some conversation going. However, I guess the most important question is:

Do the baddies have a kill beyond the RID Kill?

If not, then I think we need to look at our kidnapped individuals, because there must be some reason that the kill didn't happen last night. If so, well, we'll still need to look at them, but not quite as closely. Other than that, I may be semi-idle today, I need to do a lot of travel, and get ready for the 4th, etc. However, I will be sure to be on before the end of the day, in case there's discussion happening, or an important vote needs to happen.

Okay, JarZe is correct, we really should get some conversation going. However, I guess the most important question is:

Do the baddies have a kill beyond the RID Kill?

If not, then I think we need to look at our kidnapped individuals, because there must be some reason that the kill didn't happen last night. If so, well, we'll still need to look at them, but not quite as closely. Other than that, I may be semi-idle today, I need to do a lot of travel, and get ready for the 4th, etc. However, I will be sure to be on before the end of the day, in case there's discussion happening, or an important vote needs to happen.

You're right SG, it seems that the baddies only have the RID kill... Because I don't think that SD would make the group kill blockable, so I don't know about the kidnapped yet...

Some questions for SD

1. The vote manipulation PM is sent during the night before or the current day?

2. Is the baddie RID Kill blockable/saveable?

Firstly, are we right in assuming the baddies even HAVE a group kill? I mean, yeah, they usually do, but it doesn't say anything about it? If there was a group kill, I doubt it could be stopped, even if a member of the baddie faction was kidnapped. Again, unsure. Clarification SD?

Hmm.. No kills whatsoever, that's a bit odd. We can assume Ender was blocked/kidnapped.

Maybe there's a secret ability to stop the baddie group kill?

Hmm.. No kills whatsoever, that's a bit odd. We can assume Ender was blocked/kidnapped.

If he decided to kill, it's good that he was kidnapped/blocked, that way we avoided FF.