BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

So I have heard about a "Bible Code" off and on for the past few years. I recently read up a little on it and apparantly, using computers, you can somehow "decode" the Bible to reveal happenings on earth.

I don't buy it, personally. Maybe it's true, I don't know. I've heard that only past events can be decoded, but found this .... guy (read crackpot?)... who claims to have decoded an ebola attack on Philidelphia and Miami in May of 2008 and the assasination of Barak Obama and Hillary Clinton as president.

I figured the confluence of religion and code breaking might appeal to some of you on here. Just curious, what do you all think about this stuff? I think maybe it's like seeing a pirate ship in a cloud, but who knows? :blink:

11 answers to this question

This is a quick example of how it's supposed to work.

There's an okay Wikipedia article on it. I used to have a bookmark to a much more detailed web-site on it, but I can't find it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code

I remember as a kid hearing from Muslims about "proof" that the Quran was divine because of a hidden code in it that had to do with the number 19 that could not possibly have been embedded by the Arabs of the time. Years later when the internet came out, I remembered these stories for some reason and did a search for it. Here's a YouTube video from believers.

It's a shame some religious people actually have their faith strengthened by this sort of stuff and never bother to scrutinize extraordinary claims more carefully.

Thanks for the links. I think a some people need something to "validate" their beliefs and that's why they cling to this kind of stuff or join cults, etc.

Though I don't find this "spiritual" I do find it facinating. The fact that so many unique identifiers from major events can be found randomly within a totally dis-connected text somehow just makes me laugh with joy. Quite a good puzzle. I wonder if I could find pieces of my persona life embedded in major texts. THAT would be cool.

Anyone here believe there is more to this than random chance?

Anyone here believe there is more to this than random chance?

not I, it is just randomness and numbers taken out of context to try to fit a molde.

humans (mostly male) wrote the bible with inspiration from the holy spirit, but they still had to interpret that inspiration and put it down in words.

also, Constantine (I know it wasnt just him and all that, but let's give it a single name) put together and led the group that picked out the books/chapters of the bible and left out many other books/chapters, so there was too much "human" input for it to be infallible. plus, the original books were written in many different languages, while the "original" bible that constantine put together was written in Greek.

how was this code put into effect, in what language, and at what point?

i can make up stuff about numbers from anything, this is nothing but people trying to make something out of nothing.

I have heard of it too, and at the time, (being only about 14 years old) I somewhat believed it. I wasn't going to base my faith on it or put my faith in it, but I kinda believed it. Now looking back, I have decided not to make a decision quite yet, but what I have heard about it is quite extraordinary. Many things have been predicted (and once prevented!*) with the Bible Code, which amazed me. They tested the Bible Code by using a book equivalent to the size of the Bible, Moby Dick, and used the Bible Code code on it, and they got very very few results. I remember that they said basically the only thing they found was Princess Di's death. So maybe the Bible Code is more than just 'seeing a pirate ship in a cloud' as you put it, or maybe Moby Dick was just a bad book for this. I know in science you are supposed to triplicate your data. So maybe they should put two more books to the test before anyone makes a sure decision. Anyway, I'm not positive on how true this really is, but it is definitely fascinating and I have a little bit of belief in it. Maybe if they put those two extra books to the test, and they had the same results as the Moby Dick, I might believe it.

*An assassination of a leader of some country was predicted, people warned him, so he kept from going to the country he was predicted to be assassinated in, and he didn't die. Of course this isn't quite proof, but it's just an explaination of what I was talking about.

I have heard of it too, and at the time, (being only about 14 years old) I somewhat believed it. I wasn't going to base my faith on it or put my faith in it, but I kinda believed it. Now looking back, I have decided not to make a decision quite yet, but what I have heard about it is quite extraordinary. Many things have been predicted (and once prevented!*) with the Bible Code, which amazed me. They tested the Bible Code by using a book equivalent to the size of the Bible, Moby Dick, and used the Bible Code code on it, and they got very very few results. I remember that they said basically the only thing they found was Princess Di's death. So maybe the Bible Code is more than just 'seeing a pirate ship in a cloud' as you put it, or maybe Moby Dick was just a bad book for this. I know in science you are supposed to triplicate your data. So maybe they should put two more books to the test before anyone makes a sure decision. Anyway, I'm not positive on how true this really is, but it is definitely fascinating and I have a little bit of belief in it. Maybe if they put those two extra books to the test, and they had the same results as the Moby Dick, I might believe it.

*An assassination of a leader of some country was predicted, people warned him, so he kept from going to the country he was predicted to be assassinated in, and he didn't die. Of course this isn't quite proof, but it's just an explaination of what I was talking about.

As a little side note to my last post (that one ^), I just thought that this "Bible Code" wouldn't be too far fetched, seeing as how it is very number and math based code, and if you read the Bible, you see reoccurring numbers. I've noticed numbers like, three, five, seven, forty, fourty two, and some others that aren't coming to mind at the moment, are numbers that occur in the Bible a LOT. Maybe these numbers somehow correlate with the Bible Code.

Constantine ... put together and led the group that picked out the books/chapters of the bible and left out many other books/chapters.

That's simply not accurate. While we do not have a complete list of the accepted canon published prior to that time, the actual selection of the books took place over many centuries, and the majority of the canon, particularly the old testament, was firmly established and documented well before then.

This is especially true of the Torah, or first five books, which are typically what are used for the Bible Code. That said, I seriously doubt that the deciphered messages are anything other than the result of trying to find patterns in noise. Writersblock's example of clouds is apropos. If you watch the clouds long enough, and are loose enough in your interpretation, you can find all kinds of meaning in the formations. That doesn't mean somebody encoded them there. Besides, that doesn't seem like a very practical way for a divine being to convey messages to humans, particularly with regard to predicting future events. What would be the purpose? To strengthen the faith of cryptologists?

I'd much rather spend time studying the clearly beneficial teachings from the Bible.

Edited by Duh Puck

That's simply not accurate. While we do not have a complete list of the accepted canon published prior to that time, the actual selection of the books took place over many centuries, and the majority of the canon, particularly the old testament, was firmly established and documented well before then.

This is especially true of the Torah, or first five books, which are typically what are used for the Bible Code. That said, I seriously doubt that the deciphered messages are anything other than the result of trying to find patterns in noise. Writersblock's example of clouds is apropos. If you watch the clouds long enough, and are loose enough in your interpretation, you can find all kinds of meaning in the formations. That doesn't mean somebody encoded them there. Besides, that doesn't seem like a very practical way for a divine being to convey messages to humans, particularly with regard to predicting future events. What would be the purpose? To strengthen the faith of cryptologists?

I'd much rather spend time studying the clearly beneficial teachings from the Bible.

that's why I said

(I know it wasnt just him and all that, but let's give it a single name)
;) and I know it took centuries after constantine died and it started centuries before he was even born. many different groups of people put together books in many different places over many separate years, so we cant know what was left out by accident or on purpose and we certainly cant know if what they chose was actualy inspired by the Holy Spirit but rather the ramblings of a high-functioning schizophrenic.

and I like the explanation of Martini and your question (strengthening the faith of cryptologists?), statistics has proven time and time again that it can be manipulated to say whatever you want (and I should know, as I am involved in medical research).

and i definitely like your idea of spending time studying the clear teaching of the bible; I particularly like the clear teachings of Jesus and tend to ignore the old testament.

Edited by carlosn27

At the point I looked into it, I could only observe retrospective evidence, so far I am not taking it seriously but it's a wonderful idea.

Can't be reviewed by anyone who is not into the original language. Brush up on your Hebrew if you want to get deep into it.

2013 +/- 2 months Largest eruption in the US.. GWB related.. Hope I'm wrong (Dream I had)

Nostradamus and old Mother Shipton thought the world would have ended 1990's to 2k we are still here!!!!

I actually have a copy of the Bible code program. There are some problems with it, of course, but it is based on the fact that most hebrew words are only 3 to 4 letters long as a base (hebrew has no vowels). Letters are then added to either end to provide more detail to the words. If you use different skip intervals until you find a word, then you will most likely find it. The probabilty decreases some to find two words, and even more to find three words together, although this process is using different skip intervals that might cross at a letter, or be near somehow, although with short words, and limited letters the chances are you will find something eventually.

The biggest problem with the Bible code is you have to know what you are looking for in order to find it. There is no set values to look for to get any meaning. We can look and find World Trade Center Bombing, and even a name of a person, but of course, this is in hebrew, so you have to know how to say World Trade Center in hebrew first, and then transliterate the name of the person.

The portion of the Bible used in the Bible code was codified long before Constantine. The Septuagint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint) is the greek form of what we call the Old Testament, and what in hebrew is referred to as the Tanakh (Torah, Naviim, and Kotivim, the law, the prophets, and the writings).

It only works in the hebrew form, and in the order provided (which is of course arbitrary, not in historical order by any means). Although it is fun to play with, I wouldn't put too much credence in it.