BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Fantasy Mafia

If you read the original post in the sign up, I've gotten a few comments from more experienced players and made some changes to the roles and added more information. That was already posted in the sign up post but if you did not scheme through the whole thread (I can understand why), the posts in blue are modified abilities.

General Mechanics

24hr Day/Night cycles.

If two players target each other at the same time, the following will happen;

1. If blocking role, their actions are wasted so it's as good as blocking each other. But a coin is flipped to decide who gets blocked in the post.
  2. If blocking/stealing vs killing, a coin is flipped to decide whether someone is killed or blocked.
  3. If stealing vs blocking, coin is flipped.
  4. Killing vs killing, both players will die.

Factions and Roles:

4 Dark Brotherhood Cultists (Mafias)

1 Second Circle Spawn (Independent)

10 Wyrmhaven Citizens (Innocents)

Dark Brotherhood

Wins by becoming the majority.

Assassin

Kills 1 character per night. Role will be revealed if attempt is foiled twice. If assassin dies, another player will be randomly picked to assume his action.

Witch Doctor

Forces one player to repeat their previous night's action. If it is a killing role, and last target was killed, will randomly target another victim. Cannot target same player twice.

If targeted, the usual restrictions of the actions are void. I.e. the jailer can jail the same person the second night. If the Shade is targeted, a random soul's ability and random target will be chosen.

Mastermind

Allows BTSC between all dark brotherhood members. Upon death, BTSC is lost to Dark Brotherhood members. Every other night, also has the ability to use mind blast on a player to change their action's target to a random player.

Because of his BTSC ability, the BTSC PMs should also be forwarded to the GM.

Will not directly learn the role of the player when using mind blast. A typical post will be as follows;

<Player> walked purposefully out of the inn. With his target in mind, he headed off into the night. Suddenly, he felt an intrusion in his mind and everything went blank for a moment. As he recovered, he tried to sort his jumbled mind and headed off in a different direction.

Doppelganger

Steal's a player's role for the day/night. Cannot target the same player twice. The target's action is also nullified.

If the Shade is targeted, a random soul is chosen.

Wyrmhaven Citizens

Wins by eliminating the Dark Brotherhood.

Healer

Can heal a player, including self. Can only heal self once, unless targeted by the Witch Doctor.

Seer

Can observe a player's actions for the night. 50% chance of getting hints to identity if no action is taken.

Who she observed will be posted on the night post (only she will know the identity though).

Messenger

Night action: PM a player to receive 1 message (PM) directed to any other player. If intercepted (e.g. - killed, role stolen, blocked), message will be sent to interceptor on the same night instead.

Day action: Will deliver the message.

Messages will be delivered through the GM. Messages work as follows;

1. The messenger will PM me who the first target is (let's say Player 1).
  2. I will send a PM "The messenger will deliver a message for you. Reply PM template: To: <recipient>. Message: <Limit 3 sentences>. From: <sender>.
  3. The message will be sent to the recipient by me. The messenger will also get a copy. PMs will be sent separately.
  4. Messenger's identity will remain unknown.

Intercepts are time dependent - on the order I receive action PMs. If messenger has not sent me PM for target, and is intercepted, the messenger will not be able to send messages. If messenger has sent me PM, but the other has yet to reply, the message is intercepted.

Defender

Can protect a player, except self, has 50% chance of dying in the process.

Jailor

Can catch a player and throw him/her into the dungeon for a day and night cycle. Cannot capture the same player two nights in a row. Player may not post (on thread or BTSC) when captured, unless jailbreak occurs (see below).

Undertaker

Can learn the role of ONE dead player every morning. Will not be blocked by night actions.

Will be PMed a list of dead players every night, and choose one.

Priest

Can purify the soul of a fallen, preventing the shade from consuming it. Can prevent the lynching of a player every other day. Cannot save the same player twice. PM must be sent before half of the votes are in.

To purify a soul, PM the name of the player - if s/he dies, the soul is purified, if not - no purification and the soul goes to the Shade.

Minstrel

Stops a player's action for a night. If the same player is targeted again, chance is reduced to, and remains thereafter at, 50%.

Knight

50% chance of killing a player a night. If target player is not killed, his/her action has a 50% chance of being nullified.

When targeting a player, a coin is first flipped - if target survives, another coin is flipped to determine if action is blocked, if not, action resumes. In actual percentages, 50% kill, 25% block, 25% free.

Innkeeper

Gains 1 gold piece every night no action is taken. Can use one gold piece to (1) boost a player's abilities (must know role) to 100% (or 0% if it is negative effect); (2) learn the role of a player.

Day/Night ability: Can use two gold pieces to (1) hire any player (must know role) and make them perform any action (e.g. Can hire assassin to kill mastermind). If you hire in the Day, that night you can still get a gold piece at night, BUT, the hiring process is stated on the Day post. It will be mentioned that you hired <player> (not role and the requested action will not be revealed).

If roles are wrong, 1 gold piece is deducted from pot. The hired player's action restrictions are void (like the Witch Doctor's repeat).

Second Circle Spawn

Wins by killing two of the following; the Priest, Seer or Doppelganger. If the they die by any other means, must be last man standing.

Shade

Night: Automatically consumes the soul of those fallen at night, gaining their abilities. Each ability can only be used once before the soul dissipates.

Day: Has a choice of consuming the soul of the lynched player, but has a 25% chance of being discovered. PM must be sent before the last vote is in.

Also has 1 RID killing every night. Loses a random soul for every failed attempt. If no souls are available, role will be revealed.

Starts with the painter's soul: Able to change 1 person's vote.

In-game Events:

Chance Encounter - If two players target a same player, they have a 1/6 chance of learning each others roles.

Jailbreak - Every two captures, there is a 50% chance of the player escaping from the jail in the morning. (Won't have night actions, but will be able to post on the thread).

PROLOGUE - The Chaos Begins

Wyrmhaven was the frontier city of Helms Guard, the alliance of the three nations in the Central Kingdom. It controlled the trade routes to and from Frostguard Valley, a valley with rich veins of mithril and soul crystals.

The trade rakes in a lot of earnings for the treasury of the city and Wyrmhaven was easily the riches frontier city. It was even said that the baron of the city commanded the second largest army in Central Kingdom and was the third most powerful man in the kingdom. Because of its strategic location, every faction in Central Kingdom have had their eyes on the city, bidding their time to take over the city and eventually the whole of Central Kingdom.

Their attempts have always been thwarted by the first baron of Wyrmhaven. He was a smart and commanding ruler who maintained peace and control in the city. When the first baron passed away, there was a power struggle between his two sons and the evil elder son prevailed using underhanded methods. However, he made many enemies during that struggle.

"Peace" returned to Wyrmhaven shortly after the new baron was crowned - but that peace is one that will soon crumble.

The assassin paused. He was being tailed. He quickly slid through the crowd and darted into a small alleyway. Back to the wall, he readied his dagger. A moment later a figure turned into the alleyway, finding the tip of the dagger at its throat. It smirked as it lowered its hood. The assassin was staring at his own face!

"Who... What are you?" he asked.

"Come with me if you want answers," it replied and with reflexes as fast as the assassin's, it snatched the dagger and pocketed it. Knowing that he was at a disadvantage the assassin yielded and followed the figure.

They entered a small shop selling various medical potions. The figure guided the assassin to the back, where two others were seated at a long table. He readied another dagger and almost hurled it at the figure when it morphed back into the faceless being it was - the Doppleganger.

The Mastermind smirked. 'Welcome comrade. We were expecting you.' The assassin heard the words in his mind.

"Mind reader!" the assassin spat. He hated dealing with the likes of those - they knew his every move. But his years of experience taught him how to deal with them. Calming himself, he cleared his mind.

'Very good. I know now that we have picked the right choice. Now, we have a proposal that will make us the most powerful men in all of the kingdom.' Images of the plans flowed into the Assassin's head.

"Are you in?" asked the Witch Doctor. The assassin smiled and took his seat on the right of the Mastermind.

The body of the painter was found by the river.

The healer checked for a pulse. "It looked like someone drained his life force away."

"Just earlier, the baron was murdered with a dagger in his back. What is happening to this city?" asked the Jailor, shaking his head as the Undertaker dragged the body onto his cart.

"There... there is no soul!" stammered the Priest who was performing the purification rites, "Something evil is lurking in the city!"

"Whatever it is, we will stop it," said the Knight to the Defender. The Defender wrote a note and passed it to the Messenger. "To the Minstrel." The messenger nodded and ran for the inn.

The messenger spotted the minstrel getting a mug of mead from the innkeeper. The minstrel placed a gold coin on the counter and made for the table by the door.

"A message for you," the messenger said as the note was passed to the minstrel. He nodded his head and opened it as the messenger left.

The crystal ball cracked as she saw the Undertaker load the body onto the cart. The Seer was worried. It was the third crystal ball this week. Evil lurked in the air. Stepping down from her room, she made for the city square, hoping to make sense of this situation.

The Shade smiled. The first day on the surface and it had feasted. It was already growing stronger. If it was not for the interfering priest and seer, it would've feasted on another soul - the soul of the most powerful man in the city. It had decided - both the priest and the seer must die. So must that First Circle Spawn scum, the Doppelganger, who might reveal its identity. Snickering, the Shade conjured the soul of the poor painter and started tormenting it to gain its knowledge and skills.

Current sign-ups:

1. Riranor

2. Reaymanator

3. CGH0606

4. GMaster479

5. andromeda

6. RPGBully

7. Limey

8. IDNE

9. JarZe

10. woon

11. Marioman9

12. abhisk

13. GC

14. Kat

15. twin_bro

All PMs have been sent. If you have not gotten your role yet, PM me.

Night 1 ends 24 hours from now.

Have fun. :)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering...can scsw end the day early if everyone sent their action so as to speed everything up? :help:

Edit: added the help

Well, the game hosts usually give us 24 hours regardless if of the actions are in or not, cause someone might change it's mind and change his action for the night. I don't know about scsw though :)

Edited by andromeda

Hey I'm a newbie too. Thanks for the welcome. :P

I don't think I will speed things up too much. Like everyone else says - people may want to change their actions (although it is strongly discouraged). The most I may consider is ending it an hour or two earlier.

Besides, I am still waiting for some actions. :)

I forgot to include this in the OP when I modified the abilities; the Jailor has a 50% chance of learning the captive's identity if the jailbreak does not occur.

aw I missed it! Oh wait..I cant play.. too much on my plate.

So have fun you all! But if you need a replacement later on

do not hesitate to ask.

Have fun storming the castle girls!

Night 1 – First Blood

As the sun set in Central Kingdom, the shaken citizens of Wyrmhaven scurried back into their homes, fearing what the night may bring. After all, two murders had occured the night before.

Reaymond increased his pace. He was being followed and whoever it was, he was certain that it was not a friend. The footsteps were closing in. Thinking fast, he started running towards the castle, hoping to bump into the Knight or someone that would deter the tracker from following him. As he turned the bend towards the dungeons, he saw the Jailor.

"Glad to see you here," gasped Reaymond who was out of breath. The Jailor smiled.

"Likewise. You saved me a lot of trouble," he said as he cuffed Reaymond's hands.

"Wha...? What are you doing?"

"You're coming with me tonight. I have a feeling that we will become fast friends."

Reaymond struggled but with both hands confined, the Jailor easily overpowered him and dragged him to the dungeons.

The Doppelganger snarled as it looked out from the shadows. It was too risky to continue. It blended back into the shadows also regretting the fact that he did not get a better look at the Jailor.

The Seer focused her will into her crystal and an image of Kat appeared. For the rest of the night, the Seer observed Kat's actions, hoping to learn more about her.

From the watch tower, the Knight spotted CGH0606 lounging at the fountain. The events of the day planted seeds of suspicion and distrust into many and those in the Knight ran deep. Being alone in public at night gave the Knight enough reason to suspect CGH0606. Grabbing his shield and sword, he made for the fountain. The Knight scanned the area for other citizens.

'No one is around. Good.'

Brandishing his sword, the Knight approached CGH0606 from behind. CGH0606 noticed the Knight's reflection in the water and managed to sidestep a killing blow.

"What is the meaning of this, Sir Knight?" stammered a confused CGH0606.

"Stop pretending, murderer! I will bring justice to your victims!"

"Wait! You have the wrong..." and before CGH0606 could finish, the Knight dashed towards CGH0606 and slammed him with the shield. The force of the blow sent CGH0606 landing on the other side of the fountain.

Knowing that there was no reasoning with the Knight who was in blind rage, CGH0606 turned around and disappeared into the slums. With the confusing network of streets and tunnels, CGH0606 believed that he could lose the Knight. And lose the Knight he did. He slumped against the wall when he was sure that the Knight was no longer trying to find him. Breathing hurts – the blow earlier had broken two of his ribs. CGH0606 shook his head. He will not be able to do anything that night.

The Knight realized his mistake the moment CGH0606 landed on the other side of the fountain. That was the direction of the slums and his experience told him that it was too late to give chase as CGH0606 scrambled into the shadows of the slums. The Knight returned to the walls and resumed his patrol, vowing to strike down the evil that lurked in the city.

Well hidden in the shadows of the night, the Defender kept a close watch at the double storey grey-walled building across the street. He had a feeling that something was going to happen to the resident of the building tonight. The night has been uneventful so far, but the Defender will be ready for any surprises.

The Defender's wait was not in vain, as in the middle of the night, he noticed a dark figure approaching the house. The figure stopped a few feet before the entrance and crouched in the shadows. Realizing that time was running short, the Defender shot out from his hiding position and with inhuman speed tackled the figure. With a hand wrapped around the figure’s mouth, the Defender pulled down the figure’s hood and relaxed. It was the Healer and things were easier now that they knew who each other was.

JarZe wrote his message down hastily and passed it to the Messenger. Just moments ago, the Messenger approached him and said that he would risk sending a message out for him. The Messenger shot out off JarZe’s house and headed into the darkness of the night.

“God’s speed, Messenger. God’s speed.”

The door was open. GC’s heart raced. He remembered closing it and was sure he did not hear it opening. He closed the door and raced to the bedroom. He reached for the dagger he kept by the bed for protection and felt more secure with it in his hand.

“That’s not going to help much, you know,” he heard a mocking voice from behind. GC turned around and saw the Assassin leaning on the wall with his arms crossed. GC’s eyes widened and lunged at the Assassin. The Assassin evaded the attack and playfully slapped GC’s armed hand with the side of his dagger. GC’s hand gripped tightly on the dagger and launched a series of slashes but the only thing he was slashing was air.

“I thought I would have more fun,” said the Assassin in a disappointed tone. In one swift motion, he grabbed GC’s hand and slit GC’s throat. The Assassin wiped the bloodied dagger and casually left the house as GC grasped his throat in a futile attempt to cheat death. Soon, GC’s rigid body slumped to the ground.

The Messenger slipped the note under Marioman9’s door. Knowing that the message is safely delivered, he ran back to the safety of his own home.

The Priest said a small prayer and left the chapel.

‘I will be there to purify his soul should he fall,’ he thought as he walked into the dark night.

Roster:

1. Riranor

2. Reaymanator

3. CGH0606

4. GMaster479

5. andromeda

6. RPGBully

7. Limey

8. IDNE

9. JarZe

10. woon

11. Marioman9

12. abhisk

13. GC - Killed by the Assassin (?)

14. Kat

15. twin_bro

Day 1 ends in 24 hours.

PS: The pronouns used for the roles do not indicate the real gender of the players.

Edited by scsw

Night 1 – First Blood

Roster:

1. Riranor

2. Reaymanator

3. CGH0606

4. GMaster479

5. andromeda

6. RPGBully

7. Limey

8. IDNE- voting for andromeda

9. JarZe