BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Two new swine flu cases take UK total to 18

Two new cases of swine flu have been confirmed in England taking the total to 18, the Department of Health has said.

What do you think?

17 answers to this question

Meh, no worse than the regular flu.

I agree, except they don't give reports about the regular flu (well there are couple of variations of regular flu, but yeah)

In the time of economic crisis they wanted to divert people's attention on something else and apparently they succeeded.

Edited by andromeda

^ Yeah, exactly. I don't think it's worth worrying about, at least not at the moment. What happened to the bird flu? The west nile virus? Anthrax, even? Just because something has the potential to devastate, does not in any way mean it's going to.

If masses of people start dying, I'd say that's when we start to worry.

On an unrelated note, and I don't know who made this up, but 500 people get swine flu, everybody wears a facemask. 90 million people get AIDS, and nobody wears a condom.

The reason it was so scary was because it is a brand new strain that nobody has natural immunity to. Luckily it is not that virulent and the death rate is very low, but in previous cases similar to this one millions of people died in a matter of a year or two. Look up the spanish flu of 1918, killed more people than any war in history

does anyone known what they changed the official name of swine flu is? i heard they changed it because some people with pigs were complaining

Well some people want to call it the Mexican flu because Swine flu is offensive, (to the pigs.) :rolleyes:

:o There is a confirmed case of swine flu in NSW Australia!

Quick cover your faces with masks there's a pandemic on our hands!

:blink::rolleyes:

I agree with you that this isnt as much of a big deal as they say it is, they have had people recover from it. Also i heard that all those, something like 150 deaths in mexico, that actually only about 20 of them died of the flu, but thats just a rumour i heard so dont quote me on it.

I agree with you that this isnt as much of a big deal as they say it is, they have had people recover from it. Also i heard that all those, something like 150 deaths in mexico, that actually only about 20 of them died of the flu, but thats just a rumour i heard so dont quote me on it.

*gasp* You've been quoted on it!

hehe sorry, couldn't resist :P

Back on topic, andromeda has a good point... this offers an escapism from reality, and in times of economic downturn, like the Great Depression, or now, escapism (like movies, alcohol, etc) skyrockets. This is no different... and the media is getting some more viewership from their escapist drama on the swine flu, I'm sure. Great point, andromeda :D

*gasp* You've been quoted on it!

hehe sorry, couldn't resist :P

Back on topic, andromeda has a good point... this offers an escapism from reality, and in times of economic downturn, like the Great Depression, or now, escapism (like movies, alcohol, etc) skyrockets. This is no different... and the media is getting some more viewership from their escapist drama on the swine flu, I'm sure. Great point, andromeda :D

The only problem is if you have a ticket for a big music festival this summer, you may be dissapointed, as the media's constant string of scare stories are apparently scaring the bands, and they're considering not attending... :rolleyes::dry:

i heard that the first month/year of stuff like this is near harmless, then it mutates or something and it kills a ton of ppl. got that from some tv show. ya. hopefully we'll have a vaccine by then. yaknow because medical stuffs is much more advanced now.

Great point, andromeda :D

Thanks Unreality :D I love conspiracy theories!

Well some people want to call it the Mexican flu because Swine flu is offensive, (to the pigs.) :rolleyes:

Actually the Muslims and the Jewish people are complaining that it's offensive to them and the Mexicans were complaining because it really doesn't have much to do with pigs and they were worried that there could be a major disturbance on the meat market. So WHO had to give that flue some name that won't associate it to anything. I forgot it's official name :rolleyes: something like flue A or virus A, I don't know.

I'm wondering how long will the world milk this topic, or even worst what might happen next? :huh:

I'm afraid that USA's gonna have to invade some small country to call off attention from the economic crisis.

My country was already invaded so I don't have to worry about that... I'm not sure if laughing here would be appropriate so I'll just smile :)

Edited by andromeda

Fun Swine Flu fact:

Afghanistan decided to quarantine its entire pig population, as a precaution. Luckily, it was easy to lock the porker in its pen at the zoo. They only have one in the whole country!

I think they should call it the "Intercourse Flu" because it's just another F-ing virus.

Meh, no worse than the regular flu.

Incorrect. I think the hype over this type is that the common strain (H1N1 type) is the same as the one responsible for the pandemic of 1918. One's body would overreact and lead to destruction of lung tissue and fluid build up. This one seems to be deadly to healthy people with good immune systems. It's your healthy and ready-to-react immune system that winds up damaging your own lungs. So, while the regular flu we all know and hate makes us ill and really is a danger to the very young, the elderly and the weakened, this one actually gets healthy people and prompts their immune system to react in a very dangerous way.

So, healthy people are out and about, and vulnerable... not just to feeling really, really sick...but to death. So, when healthy people are dying from a flu virus, it tends to get attention. If I had to choose which strain of influenza I was going to contract, this wouldn't be the one.

^ Yeah, exactly. I don't think it's worth worrying about, at least not at the moment. What happened to the bird flu? The west nile virus? Anthrax, even? Just because something has the potential to devastate, does not in any way mean it's going to.

That's true. But that doesn't mean diseases that didn't reach pandemic proportions were nothing to worry about. Diseases like SARS and bird flu were in large part contained by precisely the sort of preparations put in place for the very real danger they represented. Their failure to turn into global catastrophes is not an indicator that the health authorities and media were crying wolf; some very good steps were taken to contain them, which almost certainly prevented a much larger number of deaths.

If masses of people start dying, I'd say that's when we start to worry.

Right, but it's a good thing the CDC, the WHO, etc., start worrying before we get to that point.

On an unrelated note, and I don't know who made this up, but 500 people get swine flu, everybody wears a facemask. 90 million people get AIDS, and nobody wears a condom.

Those statistics are a little off. Less than everybody are wearing face masks and more than nobody wears condoms.

And face masks are ineffective anyway :rolleyes:.

You've never seen hospital workers or patients wearing face masks? They wear them because they have the potential to work. Would you rather have an infected person standing five feet away from you sneeze or cough in your direction while you're wearing a face mask, especially one as good or better than the N95 type (some are wearing that type in the pictures in newspapers I've seen) or none at all? That's not to say walking around with a face mask on isn't going overboard; I'm merely correcting your statement regarding the efficacy of face masks.

It's completely no big deal. If you ever get any strain of flu virus just take some Oscillococcium and some Gripp Heel and it will become a mundane bad cold and go away in about 2 days. :thumbsup:

~you can quote me on that :D

[moderating]

And at this point the incorrect information being given has gone too far. Let's not dispense medical advice on the boards. Hundreds of thousands of people die from the flu annually. The flu does not turn into a cold by taking homeopathic preparations and taking the above advice rather than seeking medical attention could be deadly, especially for the young, old, and those with compromised immune systems.

[/moderating]

I think it's best this thread be closed now. I'll list some web pages so anyone interested can visit and obtain the latest and reliable information.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/#stay_healthy

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/