BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Honestants and Swindlecants I.

rookie1ja

Honestants and Swindlecants I. - Back to the Logic Problems

These are typical logic problems which can be solved by using classic logic operations.

There are two kinds of people on a mysterious island. There are so-called Honestants who speak always the truth, and the others are Swindlecants who always lie.

Three fellows (A, B and C) are having a quarrel at the market. A gringo goes by and asks the A fellow: "Are you an Honestant or a Swindlecant?" The answer is incomprehensible so the gringo asks B: "What did A say?" B answers: "A said that he is a Swindlecant." And to that says the fellow C: "Do not believe B, he is lying!" Who is B and C?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Honestants and Swindlecants I. - solution

It is impossible that any inhabitant of such an island says: „I am a liar.“ An honestant would thus be lying and a swindlecant would be speaking truth. So B must have been lying that A said "I (A) am swindlecant" and therefore B is a swindlecant. And that means that C is telling the truth saying B is lying – so C is an honestant. However, it is not clear what is A.

• 1 month later...

Actually, if you figure B is a swindlecant and he said that A was a swindlecant, that means he lied and A is really an honestant. So you can figure out who everyone it.

babygurl456321, I don't think it works that way. B said "A said he's a Swindlecant", not "A is a Swindlecant". If A is an Honestant, he must tell the truth and say "I am an Honestant", and if A is a Swindlecant, he must lie and say "I am an Honestant". Regardless of what A is, he will say the same thing, so we can't know for sure what he is unless we ask him what someone else says they are.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fact is that A would be a honestant because b said A said that A is a swindlecant and because B is a swindlecant that means B was lying which means A really said that it was a honestant so A is a honestant. simple really.

• 4 weeks later...

If A is honestant he/she will say honestant.

If A is swindlecant he/she will say honestant.

So if B says that A says swindlecant he/she must be lying making him/her a swindlecant.

Please excuse my poor english as i am from Estonia.

• 2 weeks later...
Why doesn't the guy just ask a question he already knows the awnser to like what color is my hair?

Are you serious? The point of the puzzle is to make you think, not wish the answer was easier. If the answer was that simple, the riddle wouldn't be very fun, now would it?

• 3 weeks later...

A is an Honestant OR a Swindlecant; B is a Swindlecant; C is an Honestant.

Let's explore why this is true by focusing on the boolean value of whether or not B is an Honestant or SwindleCant:

Case I: B is an Honestant.

In this case if B is an Honestant, then this will mean that C is a Swindlecant.

More importantly, it will mean that A stated that he is a Swindlecant.

If we explore the logic of A's presumed statement, it can not be a plausible statement because:

1.) If A was an indeed a Swindlecant, he would not state that he is a SwindleCant.

(Given the nature of Swindlecants, he would lie and state that he is an Honestant.)

2.) If A was an Honestant, he would not state that he is a Swindlecant.

(Given the nature of Honestants, he would tell the truth and state that he is an Honestant.)

Either way, A can not state that he is a Swindlecant.

Logically, A MUST state that he is an Honestant, whether he truly is or not.

Case II: B is a Swindlecant.

In this case, if B is a Swindlecant, then this will mean that C is an Honestant.

More importantly, it would mean that A stated that he is an Honestant.

A could either be telling the truth and be an Honestant OR A could be lying and be a Swindlecant.

Conclusion:

Combining the knowledge from Case I and Case II, we can arrive at the result that A can be either an Honestant OR a Swindlecant; B must be a Swindlecant; C must be an Honestant.

• 3 weeks later...

this is really confusing...

if A says he's an honestant then you still wouldn't know who he is. but if he said he was a swindlecant then he would be a lieing honestant and thats impossible. So A must be a swindlecant.

A can't say he's a swindlecant. B is a swindlecant and C is a Honestant.

ugh....my brain hurts.

• 2 weeks later...

B is definately a swindlcant b/c A cannot say he is a Swindlecant.

Which means if B is a Swindlecant, C must be a Honestant b/c he must be truthful that B is lying.

However, we still do not know what A is. We do not know what A said, although, he must always say Honestant so you can not figure it out by that. Also, there is no way to figure out by B or C's comments what he is.

The other way to look at this.

If C was a Swindlecast, he/she would say 'Believe B, He is lying'. Therefore he must be Honestant, which means B is a swindlecant. As for A its not clear (as already mentioned).

I know you can argue that C's statement is sort of an order and not an expression, and the same logic of Truth and False does not apply. But comments welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no way to tell whether A is a Swindlecant or an Honestant. Regardless, in the scenario proposed, the answer to the question that was asked him would ALWAYS be that one is an Honestant because if he was than he would say so, if he is not, than he would lie and say that he is. For B to say that he is a Swindlecant, he must be a Swindlecant because we know what A's answer was. C must be telling the truth than by saying that B is a liar. So C must be an Honestant.

A: who knows

B: Swindlecant

C: Honestant

• 1 month later...

B is a Swindlecant and C is an Honestant. If A was a Swindlecant he would have said he was a Honestant and if B was a Honestant he would have correctly reported that A said he was an Honestant. But B said A said he was a Swindlecant and a Swindlecant never would have admitted that thus B is lying and is a Swindlecant and C said that B was lying so C is an Honestant.

That sounds logical to me and hopefully I explained it in a way that it is logical to others too.

• 2 months later...
Honestants and Swindlecants I. - Back to the Logic Problems

These are typical logic problems which can be solved by using classic logic operations.

There are two kinds of people on a mysterious island. There are so-called Honestants who speak always the truth, and the others are Swindlecants who always lie.

Three fellows (A, B and C) are having a quarrel at the market. A gringo goes by and asks the A fellow: "Are you an Honestant or a Swindlecant?" The answer is incomprehensible so the gringo asks B: "What did A say?" B answers: "A said that he is a Swindlecant." And to that says the fellow C: "Do not believe B, he is lying!" Who is B and C?

Honestants and Swindlecants I. - solution

It is impossible that any inhabitant of such an island says: „I am a liar.“ An honestant would thus be lying and a swindlecant would be speaking truth. So B must have been lying and therefore he is a swindlecant. And that means that C was right saying B is lying – so C is an honestant. However, it is not clear what is A.

This is a simple one of most, giving C the title of being an Honestant would make B a Swindlecant, and A an Honestant, since B said A was a Swindlecant, and it was a lie according to C, A must have been an Honetant

B said A was a Swindlecant, but C said that B was lying. C was an honestant according to the solution, then B was a Swindlecant, making A an honestant

B said A was a Swindlecant, but C said that B was lying. C was an honestant according to the solution, then B was a Swindlecant, making A an honestant

B did not say that A is a Swindlecant. B said that A said, "I am a Swindlecant." B was not saying what A was, only what A said A was. That is why the people who say A is an Honestant are wrong.

• 1 month later...
Why doesn't the guy just ask a question he already knows the awnser to like what color is my hair?

Haha, that is so true...

Although the person below is also right, it would defeat the object of the riddle just a little bit :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so ive been reading all the responses saying that B is a swindle cat and C is an Honestant, but that is wrong. The point that keeps getting forgotten about is that Swindlecats ALWAYS LIES so if B was a Swindlecat his response would have been A didnt say anything, because Swindlecats always lie, but insteed he said A said he is a swindlecat, so this must make B a honestant, and C a swindlecat. because if c is lying then his true responce would be Listen to B he is always telling the truth. Anyways let me know what yall think. Also I think this logic problem is setup illogically, so really the answer is thsat its a illogical problem

• 4 weeks later...

Let start with A

If A is Honestant, he must say "He is Honestant"

If A is Swindlecant, he must say "He is Honestant" <-- He's lying

So, whatever A is, he must say "He is Honestant"

B said "A is Swindlecant", his words must be not truth due to above.

B is absolutely Swindlecant.

C, due to Swindlecant B, C said the truth.

C is absolutely Honestant.

For A, we can not identify that why the problem asks only B and C not A.