BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Nizgords, Sproings, Wopples, and Elemots

Question

Assume that in a place with Nizgords, Sproings , Wopples, and Enauts, where none of them are a same classification of a group of people:

Sproings are either in a village to the east or north of a center point between the four villages.

Nizgords are either to the west or east, Wopples can be anywhere except west, and Enauts are either west or north.

Now assume that each village is at war with 1 other village, however, they cannot be at war with the country they are assisting.

Now assume that the villages assist a village that is in the opposite dirction from the center point than the country which they are at war with. (For example: x is at war with z to the west, so they can only help y to the east) Also assume that a country must assist 1 other country and a country cannot assist a country which is at war with the country assisting them.

I apologize in advance if this is unclear, as

I made this 1 up as I went, and I will post the answer in a few days if noone gets it.

Have fun!

3 answers to this question

Recap:

Four villages arrayed at north, south, east, and west compass points. Let's call them North, East, South, and West.

Sproings live in East or North.

Nizgords live in West or East.

Wopples do not live in West.

Enauts live in West or North.

Each village is at war with exactly one other village, and each village assists only the village across from the enemy (that is, each village is at war with Village X and assisting the village across from Village X).

Wopples live in South. This much is obvious, since all other peoples are specified as living somewhere other than South. Nothing else can be stated definitively.

There are two other possible arrangements of people in villages:

Sproings in East, Nizgords in West, Enauts in North

Sproings in North, Nizgords in East, Enauts in West

If we assume that a village does not "assist" itself, which would pretty much defeat the meaning of the word, then a village cannot be at war with its diametrically-opposed neighbor. So each village is at war with a next-door neighbor and assists the other next-door neighbor.

The most obvious solution for this is that North and West assist each other, that South and East assist each other, that North and East are mutual combatants, and that South and West are mutual combatants -- or the other possibility, that North and East assist each other, South and West assist each other, North and West fight, and South and East fight. How the peoples sort out in this scenario depends on how you wish to assign people to villages and which villages you want to have teamed up together. Too many combinations to comfortably write out.

However, there is nothing in the rule that states that if A makes war on B, then B cannot assist A. (If "war" is defined as a state of mutual combat, then this problem goes away. Otherwise, it's a possibility.) Thus, for example, North could be at war with East and assist West, while West is at war with North and assisting South, East is at war with South and assisting North, and South is at war with West and assisting East. Or North and South might team up against East and both assist West, while East and West similarly team up against South and assist North.

I apologize for this post as I can clearly see as I re-read it that the information presented is insufficient to come to any definite comclusions.

I apologize for confusing you, or wasting your time! :blush:

I apologize for this post as I can clearly see as I re-read it that the information presented is insufficient to come to any definite comclusions.

I apologize for confusing you, or wasting your time! <!-- s:oops: --><!-- s:oops: -->

Hey, not to worry ...

You might want to add some conditions, or start fresh with a new puzzle.

As for wasting anyone's time ... that just might be why many of us drop by ...

No one's making a salary here. ;)