BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A 3d picture (stereogram) is that picture that appears 3d when you look at them properly.

There are different types of them. (Google "stereogram" for details and many other pictures). Here is what is called auto-stereogram or free-view stereogram.

post-14324-1239552971.jpg

to view it, what you have to do is, focus your eyes behind the image. The depth below the image you need to focus is apporximately equal to the distance of your eyes from the image.

When you start seeing the image blur, don't stop. Try to search something in the flur. Then the 3d image will pop out, and you start appreciating it.

When i say 3d image, its not like the computer disigned 3d-characters or building like 3d. Its a REAL 3d. you can tell what part of the image is how far from you.

To understand what I mean by this, see this example.

Suppose there are two cubes, one very big but far away from you and one small but near to you. When you put these side-by-side, and take a photo, then both cube appear to be of same size. When the photo is printed no-one (except the one who took the photo) can tell that they are infact not of equal size and that one is very near and other is far from the camera.

However, if you look the cubes from the point where the camera had been placed, you can always say that one cube is very near you (since you have to adjust your eye's focus distance, which tells your brain about the relative distance) and the other is very far, so you naturally realize that the cube are of very unequal dimensions.

Samething happenS when you see a REAL 3d picture (like the one i have been talking about).YOU FEEL THE DEPTH.

Edited by the-genius

23 answers to this question

Nice. I may have not concentrated enough. I saw lines of figures of indescribable people in sixes. Please inform me if I am missing something else.

I have seen a cube! :wacko:

EDIT: And there's one more layer on the outside that I have not seen the first time around.

I love these kind of stereograms that are not obvious about what they are hiding :)

Edited by andromeda

I seen the cube just looks like hexagon shape on front, three square sides meets at one point.

I see the real 3D picture. looks like there is a hallow Hexagon on 3D image. if you want to see the image, see the dots on top of the image, such that both dots should meet. just like seeing your tip of the nose, then look center of the image. you see a real amazing 3D picture with the hollow hexagon. looks like hexagon joins their three sides meets at one point deep in depth and it is shiney. I can just can't explain in my words, but it is anazing once you see this 3D image.

mathmazic congratulations, you have atleast seen the 3d. But I think you are seeing not what the picture intends to show. Your method of seeing the 3d picture is just opposite. You are focusing at points between the screen and your eyes, so that the two dots appear to be 3. But what you have to do is focus beneath the screen. This time also, the two dots should become 3 or in your words they should meet. Try it, and you won't use the tem hexagon. Thre is no hexagonal shape anywhere. There is a perfect cube.

(your viewing technique is what is called cross-eyed vision. And what I told you to do is parallel vision. There are stereograms that reveals when one type of vision is used. This stereogram demands parallel vision. )

(To make it demand cross-eye vision use a paint program to flip it horizontally, it thats it)

There are at least four "solutions" I have seen.

1. the cube in front of an apparently concave background. To me the cube looks a bit flat--not as much depth as a real cube. That is what you see if you bring your face up close to the screen and then focus beyond it such that two dots come together as a third dot.

2. Slightly cross-eyed you see a hexagonal edge to a "well" with a deep center.

3. More cross-eyed you see two levels of depth inside: An outer edge that has two inward pointing protrusions at top and bottom, then a hexagonal edge within that and finally the deepest depth with the "well" in the center

4. *really* cross-eyed you see three levels of depth, the outer one with an edge that has two inward pointing protrusions at top and bottom, an intermediate edge that has the single inward pointing protrusions at top and bottom, and finally the "well" in the center.

(now my eyes hurt B)) )

;);) Greetings peeps. I am new to the forum and I am a gr8 fan of Magic Eye or Stereograms, so I would love any links to good sites where I can find good ones. I love the one on this post, but I prefer more complicated ones, despite getting a headache after a while, but hey, no pain, no gain. Just on question, does looking at these frequently damage your eyesight!!!!?????

Thought I had better add what I make of the pic, it looks to me a perfect 3d cube, inside a 3d concave circle, am I missing anything? I have tried, all the suggestions, but I cant see anything else, but not being a quitter will, head allowing keep checking!!

Edited by RhiannonIOM

Staring long enough at the cube, my brain pulled out a pattern of a face. I love the human mind's ability for pattern recognition. I think that's how dreams work. The random synaptic firings get interpreted within the parameters of a persons experiences and subconscious whims.

But I digress. I don't get where these other shapes are coming from, but my brain is wired a bit different than most.

I'm not seeing anything in 3D. I can't quite understand your directions. Can someone explain it in a detailed manner? I'm usually not very good at these types of things.

This honestly just basically made my life.

My mom used to buy me books of these when I was a kid, and up until this one...I had NEVER been able to do it...

Yay!!!

I'm not seeing anything in 3D. I can't quite understand your directions. Can someone explain it in a detailed manner? I'm usually not very good at these types of things.

Never mind, I looked up a guide on how to view it, and I saw the cube! Quite amazing really.

Nice. I may have not concentrated enough. I saw lines of figures of indescribable people in sixes. Please inform me if I am missing something else.

i saw that too

Focus past the screen so the 2 dots become 3, and there is a single cube floating in a well with a point facing you.

Focus past the screen so 2 dots become 4 and there is a small cube sitting on top of 2 larger, and overlapping, cubes which are all floating in a well facing you.

d-

for the original illusion

teeth. the two dots reminded me of eyes and when i look at the illusion again i saw teeh. I'm probably wrong.

Edited by cjstone314