BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Nothing exists.

I'd love to read comments on this simple paradox.

My initial ones: It can be a simple, joyful exercise in word play or the very foundation of the universe. Like everything else, I suppose this is a matter of perception.

As the basis of a theology: Out of the veil of that which cannot be spoken/conceived, emerges that simple statement. From unity comes a primordial struggle between existence and non-existence. Physics tells us that the vacuum is a very complex place, containing non-zero Higgs field(s) and a constant froth of particle-anti-particle pairs popping into existence and then annihilating one another.

From this basic dichotomy, yin and yang and the boundary between the two, everything else follows. Or not.

14 answers to this question

If nothing exists then we do not exist. so in essence, how is it that we exist but nothing else does because we are all apart of this great planet that has been blessed by God in Heaven to support life. If nothing exists then we wont be here right now and I would not be replying to your post that you didn't write if nothing existed. but since everything exists you were able to write this post and I was able to reply because it exists

If nothing exists then we do not exist. so in essence, how is it that we exist but nothing else does because we are all apart of this great planet that has been blessed by God in Heaven to support life. If nothing exists then we wont be here right now and I would not be replying to your post that you didn't write if nothing existed. but since everything exists you were able to write this post and I was able to reply because it exists

Ahhh, but here's the rub: What if nothing didn't exist?

we are all apart of this great planet that has been blessed by God in Heaven to support life.

:duh: Every topic I look in. Seriously? I'm sure the kids in Africa having their eyes eaten by worms whilst they sleep have been blessed too, you reckon? What's up with the devil name, dude? Not saying you are... but Satanists make even less sense to me than Christians. "Oh yes, I believe the absurdities, but the devil is ma home boi!"

Nothing = no single thing.

"No single thing exists." Well, false. *points to self*

"No single thing doesn't exist." Again, false. *points to nonexistent god*

Hmm. I'm not sure, but I think the meaning of the word is being changed a little. Just because things exist doesn't mean everything does. But every REAL thing doesn't exist. ..*thinks*

:duh: Every topic I look in. Seriously? I'm sure the kids in Africa having their eyes eaten by worms whilst they sleep have been blessed too, you reckon? What's up with the devil name, dude? Not saying you are... but Satanists make even less sense to me than Christians. "Oh yes, I believe the absurdities, but the devil is ma home boi!"

Nothing = no single thing.

"No single thing exists." Well, false. *points to self*

"No single thing doesn't exist." Again, false. *points to nonexistent god*

Hmm. I'm not sure, but I think the meaning of the word is being changed a little. Just because things exist doesn't mean everything does. But every REAL thing doesn't exist. ..*thinks*

Honestly I don't know but what I am saying is God is there and we are all blessed by him and my Name is from the Diablo video game from Blizzard entertainment. Oh and that is quite a good catch by saying what if nothing existed. your a tricky one you know that

Edited by Diablo

Nothing does not "exist". Only the concept of nothing exists. Much like zero in math. If you have 5 apples and someone take 5 away, then you "have" zero apples. The zero apples don't exist, but your concept of zero apples is there.

Is zero oranges the same as zero apples? Different? What about zero zeros?

If nothing exists, then why does it matter? If nothing existed, and I'm just having some enormous, elaborate dream right now, then so what? I'll continue believing that this place exists, because this place is a heck of a lot better than the nothingness that is me not existing. So there. :P

Nothing exists, surrounding every thing most consider existence.

Nothing takes up most of the volume of most things.

Everything may be made of tied up and twisted nothing.

Edited by Dawid

My solution:

Nothing exists is a nonsense... The quote itself contains the word "exist", so i think, that we have to take "Nothing" as a thing... therefore, if something exists, there is no nothing...even if there was nothing, the "Nothing" would exist, so that means that there is an existence...i think, this quote has no sense, since everything exists...

...i think, this quote has no sense, since everything exists...

Is "nothing" included in the "everything" you speak of?... Hence the paradox.

Edit: Fixed quote tags

Edited by Semper Rideo

Firstly, nothing does not mean zero.

If you broke it down quite simply it means no thing.

Therefore this is saying no thing exists which is obviously wrong.

Oh and can everyone just cut the bible talk.