BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

1. You run to the game store on the release day of the next Tomb Raider game. The game cost $59.99 and you had to pay $64.49 after the sales tax was applied. What is the sales tax (in terms of percentage)?

2. Your friend makes a bet with you that he can outsmart you. Your friend tells you that he has a perfectly cylindrical can which is 10 cm tall and 31.4 cm around the circumference. He wants you to find the volume of the can to the nearest square centimeter. What answer do you give to win the bet?

3. A small rectangular cabin has an area of 216 square meters. The ratio of the short side to the long side is 2:3. Find the perimeter.

for a bonus on this question, create a single equation using MS Excel functions - which will calculate the perimeter of our cabin

4. Mike wants to start a garden in his backyard. He has exactly 48 meters of fencing to keep out the deer. He plans to set up the fencing so that it will completely surround his garden. If he wants his garden to be perfectly square, then how big can he make it without getting any extra fencing? Give the answer in terms of the area of the garden.

5. Consider the following statements:

If it is raining, then I am wearing a raincoat.

I am not wearing a raincoat.

Therefore, ___

--------

They get bigger:

6. Car B is 30 miles directly east of Car A and begins moving west at 90 mph. At the same moment car A begins moving north at 60 mph. What will be the minimum distance between the cars and at what time t does the minimum distance occur ?

7. What does this segment of windows CLI code do?

ver | findstr "5.3"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver | findstr "5.2"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver | findstr "5.1"

if errorlevel 1 (

echo Your OS version, below, is not currently supported by this application

ver

echo please notify spikejones to receive support

echo program will now close

pause

exit

) else (

set os=Windows XP

goto xp

)

) else (

set os=Windows Server 2003

goto xp

)

) else (

set os=Windows Vista

goto vista

)

1. You run to the game store on the release day of the next Tomb Raider game. The game cost $59.99 and you had to pay $64.49 after the sales tax was applied. What is the sales tax (in terms of percentage)?

2. Your friend makes a bet with you that he can outsmart you. Your friend tells you that he has a perfectly cylindrical can which is 10 cm tall and 31.4 cm around the circumference. He wants you to find the volume of the can to the nearest square centimeter. What answer do you give to win the bet?

3. A small rectangular cabin has an area of 216 square meters. The ratio of the short side to the long side is 2:3. Find the perimeter.

for a bonus on this question, create a single equation using MS Excel functions - which will calculate the perimeter of our cabin

4. Mike wants to start a garden in his backyard. He has exactly 48 meters of fencing to keep out the deer. He plans to set up the fencing so that it will completely surround his garden. If he wants his garden to be perfectly square, then how big can he make it without getting any extra fencing? Give the answer in terms of the area of the garden.

Therefore, ___

--------

They get bigger:

6. Car B is 30 miles directly east of Car A and begins moving west at 90 mph. At the same moment car A begins moving north at 60 mph. What will be the minimum distance between the cars and at what time t does the minimum distance occur ?

ver | findstr "5.3"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver | findstr "5.2"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver | findstr "5.1"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver

pause

exit

) else (

set os=Windows XP

goto xp

)

) else (

goto xp

)

) else (

set os=Windows Vista

goto vista

)

1. 7.5%

2. my answer would be "Volume is cubic centimeters, not square"

3. 56 meters

4. 144 square meters

5. it's not raining or i am wet

6. i always hated these, but i am gonna say that the closest that thet get is 20 mi from each other and it is at the 20 minute mark.

7. it determines whether you are running vista, xp, or server 2003, or tells you that you are running some older version of windows and cannot use the software that is being installed.

1. 7.5%

2. my answer would be "Volume is cubic centimeters, not square"

3. 56 meters

4. 144 square meters

5. it's not raining or i am wet

6. i always hated these, but i am gonna say that the closest that thet get is 20 mi from each other and it is at the 20 minute mark.

7. it determines whether you are running vista, xp, or server 2003, or tells you that you are running some older version of windows and cannot use the software that is being installed.

3 and 6 are incorrect

5. there is only one answer..

to be proper, you must choose the most logical answer based upon contraposition

7. generally speaking that is correct, but technically is lacking.

• ver is a command to output the version of windows
  • | is a symbol that directs the output of one command to another command
  • findstr is a command to find a particular string
  • echo is a command to print out text on the screen
  • if statements go as follows:
    if [condition] (do this if true) else (do this if false)
  • errorlevel 1 is the return code for not finding a string
  • set is a command to set a variable
  • goto tells the interpreter to go to the section whose name follows that command.

given that information, can you tell what the code checks for, and how it checks?

--------------------------

shortest distance is √325= about 18 miles apart which happens at 10 minutes and 15 minutes

ZOMG!!! yes... I wrote that application. haven't bothered with it for a while though.

Edited by spikejones

right about 7.5%

I tell him to tell me how long it is and I'll get back to him

30 meters

169 square meters, bonus points if you know why

It is not raining? Seems to obvious to me. Am I inside, on the computer doing math without a raincoat regardless of the weather?

I'm getting a feeling that it happens at 20 minutes, but don't know why. I need to go to sleep I think

3. i jacked up my simple addition shoud have been 60 not 56.

5. it's not raining.

6. too late at night to go that deep into a math problem.

7. yeah i could go into the technical programming aspect of it, but delving that deep into the command line protocol of a doomed operation system that i abandoned for Ubuntu a year ago isn't top on my list of things to do at 0001hrs in the morning.

I'll respond in bold inside your qoute:

correct

I tell him to tell me how long it is and I'll get back to him

no

30 meters

no

169 square meters, bonus points if you know why

I'm pretty sure I see your logic. however, the answer does not conform to the constraints of the puzzle. ;)

It is not raining? Seems to obvious to me. Am I inside, on the computer doing math without a raincoat regardless of the weather?

your location matters not. all that matters is to draw the most logical conclusion.

I'm getting a feeling that it happens at 20 minutes, but don't know why. I need to go to sleep I think

sorry.. this is wrong.

right about 7.5%

think of the pythagorean theorum. it is completely possible to construct an equation from the given information. two possible methods can be used. one involves a calculator. the other involves derivatives.

All questions have been properly answered except for the last two (and the bonus part of number 3.)

ok, I know what i screwed up on the perimeter, damn tired brain. And

13.84614 minutes

16.64100 miles

And for the record, any fence built to keep deer out that doesn't have a gate in it will keep people out too and render the garden entirely useless. Just saying.

ok, I know what i screwed up on the perimeter, damn tired brain. And

And for the record, any fence built to keep deer out that doesn't have a gate in it will keep people out too and render the garden entirely useless. Just saying.

13.84614 minutes

16.64100 miles

well done B))

would you like to post a spoiler to show how you did it?

as for the perimeter of the fence problem... not of my making. the only thing I constructed was the code. everything else was gathered from various quizzes and brain teaser threads. ;)

I'll be off to bed shortly here, but I'll check back in the morning (or after work tomorrow) and see how things progress. I'm interested to see if anyone can answer the bonus part for question three. even if it isn't in excel format. I'm looking for an equation that does not need to have any thing plugged back into it. Just a simple solve for X equation. mind you it should be based on geometric fact and not just any ol' equation.

well done B))

I thought about that, but it is all scrawled across a pizza box and in a graph and I have a girl to attend to, so no

well done B))

at any time the distance between A and B is the hypotenuse of the triangle that is formed by

1)The distance A has taken,

2) (30 - The distance B has taken)

Their speed is 1,5 and 1 mile/minute. So the statement is:

(30-1.5x)2 + x2=distance.

When the derivation of this is zero, this gives the minimum distance value:

-90+6.5x=0 ---> x=90/6.5 = 13.8 minutes = time, distance is easy...

at any time the distance between A and B is the hypotenuse of the triangle that is formed by

1)The distance A has taken,

2) (30 - The distance B has taken)

Their speed is 1,5 and 1 mile/minute. So the statement is:

(30-1.5x)2 + x2=distance.

When the derivation of this is zero, this gives the minimum distance value:

-90+6.5x=0 ---> x=90/6.5 = 13.8 minutes = time, distance is easy...

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

so:

S1 = 90 mph

S2 = 60 mph

T = X

D1 = 30 - 90x

D2 = 60x

so...

f(x) = sqrt(3600x^2+900-5400x+8100x^2)

this can be graphed using a graphing calculator, and a parabola will be drawn. then we can use trace function to find the Y minimum (vertex), which will be the distance. or... we can set the derivative of that statement equal to 0 to find the vertex.

the derivative of that exp​ression is:

.5 * (11700x^2 - 5400x + 900)^(-.5) * (23400x - 5400)

set that equal to zero and solve for x (time).

plug the time back into the equation

still no answer for the number three bonus?

sqrt(216)/x = sqrt(6)/10

x*sqrt(6) = 10*sqrt(216)

x = 10*sqrt(216)/sqrt(6)

explaination:

with two proportional quadrilateral parallelograms (not sure about rhombii or other shapes, but it may work there as well) there is a direct correlation between the area and the perimeter. the problem presents the ratio of the sides as well as the area of the shape we want to find the perimeter of (X in this equation). with a rectangle having sides in the ratio of 2/3 - we can use a known shape whose sides are simply 2 and 3. The area of that rectangle would be 6 square units, while the perimeter would be 10. In order to "un square" the area, we use the square root function (this is represented in excel by sqrt(number) ). By placing the ratio of the known area's square root to corresponding perimeter equal to the ratio of the square root of the area of our shape in question to its unkown perimeter (x), we can solve for the perimeter quite easily with only a little bit of cross multiplication. the equation which would be typed into an excel cell would be:

=10*sqrt(216)/sqrt(6)

we can use variables in here as well in the form of:

=A2*sqrt(216)/sqrt(A3)

that is, if we wanted to use a different ratio of sides, say 3 / 4, we could type the value 12 into cell A3, and the value 14 into cell A2. excel does the rest. That is just another way of solving that problem, rather than:

2x*3x = 216

6x^2 = 216

x^2 = 36

x = 6

then plugging 6 back into the values of 2x and 3x, then adding all sides together.

The answer to number 5 is it may or may not be raining. For example, I wear a raincoat when it is raining. However sometimes I wear a raincoat when it is not raining, because I think it may rain later (or I'm just cold)

64.49 / 59.99 * 100 - 100 = 7,50 %

That it is impossible to find the volume in terms of cm^2

The 2 sides of the rectangle are a and b

a * b = 216 & a = 3/2 b

3/2b * b = 216

b^2 = 144

b = 12m

a = 3/2 * 12 = 18m

The perimeter = 2a + 2b = 60m

Since it's a backyard I expect the house to form one side of the garden perimeter. Therefore the 48m fence will be used to form the remaining 3 sides – or 16m per side.

This would make the garden 216 m^2

Therefore, ___

It's not raining.

Since the cars will be drawing a right triangle where the hypotenuse will be the distance between the cars, the time where the distance between the cars are the shortest will be when the 2 catheti are the same lenghts

Car A moves north at 60 Mph (away from the right angle)

Car B moves west at 90 Mph (towards the right angle = -90 Mph)

A = 60 Mph & B = -90 Mph + 30 Miles

The shortest distance (hypotenuse) was when the catheti were the same lengths, hence

A = B

60 * h = -90 * h + 30

150 * h = 30

h = 1/5

The distance between the cars at this time will be the lenght of the hypotenuse = sqrt(a^2 + b^2) = 16.97 miles

So after 1/5 hour (12 minutes) the minimum distance of 16.97 miles will be achieved.

I pass on #7

I'm not sure about the way you wanted this to be solved.

This is the simplest formula I can make which will always yield the correct answer when the area of the cabin is entered in field A1.

=SQRT(2/3*A1)*5

Uhm... a typo for #4 I'm afraid:

Since it's a backyard I expect the house to form one side of the garden perimeter. Therefore the 48m fence will be used to form the remaining 3 sides – or 16m per side.

This would make the garden 256 m^2

Uhm... a typo for #4 I'm afraid:

This would make the garden 256 m^2

although I see your reasoning with this answer, it doesnt fit the constraints of the puzzle. if you read it carefully, you'll see why.

The answer to number 5 is it may or may not be raining. For example, I wear a raincoat when it is raining. However sometimes I wear a raincoat when it is not raining, because I think it may rain later (or I'm just cold)

I understand your reasoning here.. but this is a strictly math based question.

clicky

in programming, there is a type of statement called the "if" statement. I'll post the easiest format I can think of off hand.

If condition (true statement) else (false statement)

in essence, if the condition is true - do this, elsewise if the condition is false - do that.

lets look at the statement provided:

If it is raining, I am wearing a raincoat

I am not wearing a raincoat

Therefore________

lets plug those into the if statement above:

IF it is raining (I am wearing a raincoat) else (I am not wearing a raincoat)

We are now provided with the condition to check for (whether or not it is raining) and what to do for the results of that test.

since the true statement of "if it is raining" would be "I am wearing a raincoat" - and the statement we have is "I am not wearing a raincoat", we know that the test for "if it is raining" failed. Therefore:

it is not raining

Edited by spikejones

I'm not sure about the way you wanted this to be solved.

This is the simplest formula I can make which will always yield the correct answer when the area of the cabin is entered in field A1.

=SQRT(2/3*A1)*5

clever B))

its not what I personally had in mind, but it fits the request. and I understand it as well. well done.

although I see your reasoning with this answer, it doesnt fit the constraints of the puzzle. if you read it carefully, you'll see why.

I agree. I should have seen: "He plans to set up the fencing so that it will completely surround his garden". I guess, I just wanted the puzzle to be not-so-straight-forward ^_^

Anyway, in that case I can only see a solution of 144 m^2.

What about the rest of the answers? It seems there are different opinions about at least the cars-puzzle.

well I actually was watching while people posted and told them which ones they got correct, and which ones were wrong.

by looking at the answers they provided and comparing the lists - it is possible to tell what the correct answer is. they've all be answered correctly (albeit the last one did not get the answer I was hoping for - a description of its checking process.

7.5%

I would tell him that volume would be measured NOT in squares, but in cubes.

60 meters

144 square meters

Therefore, ___

it is not raining

--------

They get bigger:

time - 0.230766667 hours = 13.864 minutes

distance - 16.64100589 miles

ver | findstr "5.3"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver | findstr "5.2"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver | findstr "5.1"

if errorlevel 1 (

ver

pause

exit

) else (

set os=Windows XP

goto xp

)

) else (

goto xp

)

) else (

set os=Windows Vista

goto vista

)

well I actually was watching while people posted and told them which ones they got correct, and which ones were wrong.

by looking at the answers they provided and comparing the lists - it is possible to tell what the correct answer is. they've all be answered correctly (albeit the last one did not get the answer I was hoping for - a description of its checking process.

Yes, I saw your comments to the different replies. The problem is that I disagree with the solution for #6 (the cars) as shown in my suggestion for solutions.

Yes, I saw your comments to the different replies. The problem is that I disagree with the solution for #6 (the cars) as shown in my suggestion for solutions.

right - I saw that, and not sure where you were going with that. the correct answer is derived as such:

you must use the pythagorean theorum in the following manner

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

find the distances as relates to a variable time (x)

(60x)^2 + (30-90x)^2 = c^2

3600(x^2) + 8100(x^2)-5400+900 = c^2

11700(x^2) - 5400x +900 = c^2

sqrt(11700(x^2) - 5400x + 900) = c

this equation will hold true regardless of time to give you the length of the hypotenuse given any amount of time.

if you graph it - a parabola is formed. find the y-minimum and that will be the minimum distance

if you use calculus, find the derivative of the equation and set it equal to zero. solve for x - that will give you the time when they are at minimum distance.