BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Forum Update - Latest Changes

rookie1ja

Let me inform you about the latest changes I have made in BrainDen:

1. forum index - categories reduced from 4 to 3 (2 were merged into "Old Brain Teasers" and several subforums were formed in new "Puzzles and Riddles" forum - that should reduce distraction on forum index page, my favorites don't take much space)

2. forum icons on forum index page were edited to read "BD" instead of default "IPB"

3. I have just released Chinese version of non-forum pages (notice flags in top right hand corner) - check http://brainden.com/chinese/index.htm

4. I plan to release Russian version in March 2009 - many thanks to Prime for proofreading and translation

5. my Google gadgets (3 out of 4) are already in Chinese as well - you can add them and then check http://www.google.com/ig?hl=zh-cn

6. hidden forums for Mafia games - 1 forum visible for selected goodies only and 1 forum visible for selected baddies only

7. new Homework Help forum

I hope you like it. There are still many things to improve. I review all Comments and Suggestions and I am sure you still have a few good new ideas. Just start a new thread in this forum.

Thanks.

further changes:

1. email notifications are working again - sendmail version got unexpectedly stuck and after long discussions with hosting provider it was replaced for the latest sendmail version and it should not happen again (though nothing is impossible - like gmail outage for several hours today)

2. using new Feedburner javascript for RSS feed - note that this change should make the latest riddle show faster with smaller delays

- latest riddle submitted to the forum is visible on BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers, BrainDen.com - Logic Puzzles and the last 15 puzzles on BrainDen.com - New Riddles

- latest riddle is also visible in "Puzzles and Riddles" Google gadget

- RSS feed (15 latest puzzles) added in canvas view of "Brain Teasers" Google gadget ... once you add it, click on "Maximize" in its top right hand corner and you should see the gadget on whole page including 15 latest puzzles

3. I have also redirected the New Puzzles RSS feed to http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Braindencom-NewPuzzles (Feedburner operated by Google offers good statistics on subscribers)

Sounds excellent! I tried everything I could think of, to get this PC from locking-up and forcing me to cut-off the power completely, to be able to resume progress with anything. I can not rid myself of firefox, that may be the cause of this problem. I think it's a virus of a sort.

Does anyone have a solution to this calamity???

It usually happens when the user does not use for 5 minutes, or less. :huh:

YEAH! That would be fantastic. :)

And congrats on the 1000 Rookie! :)

yeah for Rookie - what's your selected tittle...

rookie2ja

'Not a' rookie1ja

rookie monster1ja

grand rookie1ja

or just Rookie?

A modest proposal...

How about splitting the "New Puzzles" into "spatial, math, and logic" and "riddles/latteral thinking." For those of us that gravitate more towards one or the other, that could be helpful!

Cheers,

-Mickey

A modest proposal...

How about splitting the "New Puzzles" into "spatial, math, and logic" and "riddles/latteral thinking." For those of us that gravitate more towards one or the other, that could be helpful!

Cheers,

-Mickey

I would normally agree, but then the creator would have to choose the category, which could cause havoc with the newbies. If the moderators had to go around correcting categorys, then they would waste a lot of time. Also I think just having a New Puzzles page is nice. It's nice to know what is hot, fresh and new on the site.

Thanks for listening,

Ella (a.k.a. CuteSparklezGirl)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have made a few other visible changes:

1. the latest puzzle gets advertising on forum index page - check "Brain Teasers Forum latest news:" at the top

2. requirement for unique and descriptive title added into rules - hopefully no more riddles will be titled just "WAI"

2. When you start a new topic, include a descriptive and unique title. For instance, "What-Am-I - Holiday Theme" or "What-Am-I - Tribute to Descartes" and not "WAI".

3. signature requirements were added in rules of each forum and registration rules as well

7. Keep your signature short - preferably 1 or 2 lines of simple text. More on signature rules.

2. When you start a new topic, include a descriptive and unique title. For instance, "What-Am-I - Holiday Theme" or "What-Am-I - Tribute to Descartes" and not "WAI".

Some other suggestions (that I'm proud of :D)

Tuesday paper headlines, "Awarded chemistry professor found dead in his lab!"

Wednesday paper headlines, "Team building exercise painted in blood!"

With the rest of my riddles I wasn't so descriptive... I wish I was... :(

Edited by andromeda

Further changes:

1. forum section for old optical illusions deleted and single thread was moved from there to the new optical illusions

2. rules for all forums were updated

3. new forum section created for word riddles

4. WAI riddles moved to the new forum section (other word riddles to be moved as well) - you can PM me or moderators if you see that some riddles/puzzles should be moved

list of word riddles:

riddle of the sphynx

What-Am-I riddles

anagrams

codes

Shakeepudn's style

interesting words and letters (eg. bookkeeper)

puns

list of other puzzles:

logical - this one is tricky since riddles are logical as well - examples: honestants/swindlecants, crossing river puzzles, hats on death row, weighing puzzles etc.

math [e.g. probability]

physics

geometry

sequences

treasure hunts

Effective immediately, all new word riddles should be placed in forum section for "New Word Riddles".

Further changes:

1. forum section for old optical illusions deleted and single thread was moved from there to the new optical illusions

2. rules for all forums were updated

3. new forum section created for word riddles

4. WAI riddles moved to the new forum section (other word riddles to be moved as well) - you can PM me or moderators if you see that some riddles/puzzles should be moved

list of word riddles:

riddle of the sphynx

What-Am-I riddles

anagrams

codes

Shakeepudn's style

interesting words and letters (eg. bookkeeper)

puns

list of other puzzles:

logical - this one is tricky since riddles are logical as well - examples: honestants/swindlecants, crossing river puzzles, hats on death row, weighing puzzles etc.

math [e.g. probability]

physics

geometry

sequences

treasure hunts

Effective immediately, all new word riddles should be placed in forum section for "New Word Riddles".

Eh.... How about the treasure hunt with clue in riddle form. Which way to go? :huh:

Eh.... How about the treasure hunt with clue in riddle form. Which way to go? :huh:

Treasure hunts go where rookie put them regardless whether they are in a riddle form or not!

My treasure hunts are a mixture of things (and so are yours) so it would be hard to nitpick through every and each one of them so rookie put them in the New logic puzzles math section :)

Edited by andromeda