BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Shakeepuddn

Question

A miniature light bulb in a tale long ago,

A way through the night to the stingy I show.

My belly now empty I lent to the feast,

I carry Hell’s torch; a gift from the beast.

I crouch by the gate when demons are near,

To some I bring pleasure,

To others such fear.

Oh, make me smile or cause me to cry!

But if you don’t see my face,

Then nameless am I.

13 answers to this question

something about fire makes sense... the line "a way through the night to the stingy I show" reminds me of Scrooge, how he only lit a single candle to make his way through the dark... but a candle is too specific... so fire could work. it doesn't seem to fit the whole puzzle though... fire doesn't have a face.

Edited by SimonSunib

How funny would it be if the answer was butterflies or bunny rabbits or something?

To others such fear.

This sounds like a very sadistic/masochistic thing. The first two lines from the dom's point of view, the last from the sub's.

Shake, would you consider the answer to be something that.. how do I put this.. that is appropriate and not related to the things it's making me think of? Is the answer a whip? Or fire?

The last two lines throw me off..

How funny would it be if the answer was butterflies or bunny rabbits or something?

To others such fear.

This sounds like a very sadistic/masochistic thing. The first two lines from the dom's point of view, the last from the sub's.

Shake, would you consider the answer to be something that.. how do I put this.. that is appropriate and not related to the things it's making me think of? Is the answer a whip? Or fire?

The last two lines throw me off..

No one close thus far.

"stingy" is a moniker as well as an adjective. Those unfamiliar with the "tale" will be confused by the first half of the riddle. Ignore until you think you have an answer to second half and then investigate to confirm. Or be very deft at googling key words.

Edited by Shakeepuddn

[spoiler='works with a smile or a cry...

there was an old tail of it...

the devil did give jack a light. it's empty.... :)']jackolatern

i hope i don't mess up this post. apologies ahead of time if i do :o

[spoiler='works with a smile or a cry...

there was an old tail of it...

the devil did give jack a light. it's empty.... :)']jackolatern

i hope i don't mess up this post. apologies ahead of time if i do :o

You tagged it. Was my "help" too esay?

I like this one.

Miniature light bulb in a tale long ago:

Stingy Jack the Smith had tricked the devil into promising not to take his soul in the afterlife. But God wouldn't let him into heaven, so Jack was left to wander in eternal darkness between heaven and hell. But Satan (being more merciful than God, of course)gave Jack a single ember from the fires of hell to light his way. Jack hollowed out a turnip (bulb) to carry it. In America, the turnip became a pumpkin. The jack-o-lanter "crouches at the gate" (sits on the doorstep) when demons (children in spooky costumes) are near. You can make a sad, evil, or happy face on a Jack-o-lantern, but without a face, it's just a stupid pumpkin, not a "jack" O lantern.

I take a weekend off to do some much needed maintenance on the home, and I miss all the good stuff! Another nice one Shakee.

Reminds me of a book called "Jack of Shadows", probably inspired by Stingy Jack's tale. The book was poorly written, but the concept behind it was seemingly clever and unique when I read it oh so long ago.

But that's a topic for another thread.