BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Dare to guess what day it is?

Question

In one small town, there is a liar who lies on six days of the week. But on the seventh day he always tells the truth. He made the following statements on three successive days:

Day 1: "I lie on Monday and Tuesday."

Day 2: "Today, it's Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday."

Day 3: "I lie on Wednesday and Friday."

What day does the guy tell the truth?

The man lies 6 days of the week. We are only provided with 3 days with some information to help us maybe determine which day is the 7th day on which he doesn't lie. Now, maybe I'm just confused or misunderstanding everyone's answers, but it seems we are focusing way too much energy on the days that are listed on the 3 days. Since we don't know which days these 3 successive days are, the most rational action to take would be to discover that with logic as this is a logic problem. However, as I see it, considering that he could easily be lying on all three days it's very probable that logic will fail us here. I believe this is a paradox. Simply because all 3 days could be days that he lies. Everyone seems to be assuming that one of those three days he's telling the truth, but with the information provided we cannot logically conclude that.

Edited by missepicfail

In one small town, there is a liar who lies on six days of the week. But on the seventh day he always tells the truth. He made the following statements on three successive days:

Day 1: "I lie on Monday and Tuesday."

Day 2: "Today, it's Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday."

Day 3: "I lie on Wednesday and Friday."

What day does the guy tell the truth?

Answer is Tuesday:

There are different ways to come to the solution... i am mentioning one of the way here.

We need to form two statements to get to the solution in this approach

1. From Day 1 and Day 3 statements... the answer should be one of Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday. This is because if he is telling true on any other day... both Day 1 and Day 3 statements become true.... which is wrong. Now we need to eliminate among these 4 days.

2. Statement on Day 2 should be lie....

Day 1 can not be neither Monday nor Tuesday. and similarly day 3 can not be neither Wednesday nor Friday. This makes those statements contradictory.

This leaves us only 4 combinations

W Th F - This makes the day 2 statement correct... So this is wrong

F Sa Su - Again this makes the Day 2 statement correct... this is also eliminated

Sa Su M - This again makes the Day 2 statemetn correct... so this is also eliminated

Su M Tu - This one does not make the Day 2 statement correct... now we need to determine on which day he tells the truth.

From above, the only possible scenario is Su-M-Tu. Now... in this scenario...as we mentioned at the beginning one of Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri should be the answer and this one should be either of Day 1 or Day3. Applying this restriction... we get the answer as Tuesday on Day 3... and he tells truth on Day 3.