BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Coins

rookie1ja

Coins - Back to the Logic Problems

Imagine there are 3 coins on the table: gold, silver, and copper. If you make a truthful statement, you will get one coin. If you make a false statement, you will get nothing.

What sentence can guarantee you getting the gold coin?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Coins - solution

"You will give me neither copper nor silver coin." If it is true, then I have to get the gold coin. If it is a lie, then the negation must be true, so "you give me either copper or silver coin", which would break the given conditions that you get no coin when lying. So the first sentence must be true.

Imagine there are 3 coins on the table. Gold, silver and copper. If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one coin. If you say a false sentence, you get nothing. Which sentence can guarantee gaining the gold coin?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok well i don't think this 1 is really that fair because you never said the coins are real all you said is imagine them so how do you get 1???

hope im right,

Frozen: You have to assume that everything that the problem states is true actually is true.

From that, assume you do in fact say "you will give me neither the silver nor the copper coin." If you are not given any coins, then what you said is true; getting nothing means you didn't get silver and you didn't get copper. But the problem says that if you say a true statement, you will be given one of the coins. So it can't be the case that you weren't given any coins, because it produces a contradiction.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of you are missing the point. If you simply say a true statement, you are guaranteed a coin, but not guaranteed a gold coin. Unless you get paid for each true statement (in which case you would simply say 3 true statements), simply telling the truth is not good enough.

"You will give me the gold coin." is close.

They can give you the gold coin [thus making the statement true and requiring them to do so.]

But they can also give you nothing [thus making the statement false and requiring them not to give you anything.] You have to add something to change the second outcome.

"You will give me the gold coin or you will give me nothing."

Now they can't give you nothing because that makes the statement true.

• 2 weeks later...
i would say "You're not going to give me all the coins." I'm not sure if that would work.

It wouldn't. You can be given the copper coin and you have told the truth.

yeah or just say "1+1=2"

And then you can still just get the copper coin.

Saying "You will not give the gold coin." creates a paradox!

No, it doesn't. The statement can be true: You get the copper or silver coin. Or the statement can be false: You get the gold coin.

To get a gold coin, you say "there are three coins on the table."

It's just about the most true statement.

All that will do is guarantee that you get one of the coins, not necessarily a gold one- which is the goal of solving the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

What stops the proctor from giving you a random coin from his pocket?

Better is:

"You will give me no coin, unless the gift includes both that golden coin and [insert ruinous demand here.]"

He can't give you nothing, as the true statement would demand a coin.

He can't give coins without the golden one, as the false statement would require no coins

He can give you anything that includes the golden coin (plus ruinous demand).

What stops the proctor from giving you a random coin from his pocket?

We are to assume that "If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one coin" means "If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one of the coins.

Imagine there are 3 coins on the table. Gold, silver and copper. If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one coin. If you say a false sentence, you get nothing. Which sentence can guarantee gaining the gold coin?

I WANT THE GOLD COIN :TRUTH = GETTING COIN

I WANT THE GOLD COIN :LIE =NO COIN

EITHER WAY YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT

The Easiest sentence to get the gold coin is this "GIVE ME THE GOLD COIN OR ELSE I DO SOMETHING STUPID TO U" se the easiest Sentence "FORCE THE GUY" hahahahahahaha

They would just give you one coin, the least expensive one

Assuming that you're responding to JASON4P8C10's post above yours:

You couldn't receive one coin, as that would mean you are receiving a coin for uttering a false sentence which breaks a condition of the riddle. If you say, "I will not get any coins", you have put the coin giver in a paradoxical situation.