BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Slim Lover

rookie1ja

Slim Lover - Back to the Logic Problems

Something to relax. A slim young man asked a girl on a date:

"I say something. If it is truthful, will you give me your photo?"

"Yes," replied miss.

"And if it is a lie, do not give me your photograph. Would you promise that?"

The girl agreed. Then the chap said such a sentence, that after a little while of thinking she realized, that if she wanted to honor her promise, she wouldn't have to give him a photo but a kiss.

What would you say (if you were him) to be kissed and so on?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Slim Lover - solution

You could say for instance this sentence: „You will give me neither your photo nor a kiss.“

• 2 months later...

she would have to kiss him because he said if the statement is true then give me a photo. since he said no photo and no kiss she doesnt have to give him a photo but to make it so that she doesnt have to give him a photo she has to give him a kiss. To keep the statement false

• 3 weeks later...

coudn't you just say "you won't give me a kiss"

if she doesn't kiss you, you get a photo

but if she doesn't want to give you her photo she has to kiss you

but the statement rookie gave guarantees a kiss. See, without the kiss part of his statement, it would be:

"You will not give me your photo."

It's a paradox.

But if we have another part to it, it gives an opportunity to break out of the paradox to prove it wrong and still not give a photo, which is to kiss him.

think of it this way:

if the statement is true:

she will give neither photo nor kiss

But then she would have to give her photo because it was true. And then it would be false.

or if the statement is false: (meaning both true and false point to false)

she will give EITHER photo or kiss

But if she gives the photo, it would be true, so she can't do that. He gets kissed, no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

"If you give me your photo, you'll give me a kiss!"

If yes, it's easy.

If no, that means the statement is false and if she gives him a photo, he doesn't get a kiss - but she does so she has to give him a kiss (I know this can be argued against) - this also means: if she doesn't give him a photo, she gives him a kiss.

• 2 weeks later...

Since precision is the turning point upon which these puzzles become feasable, let us remember that precise language is the cornerstone of makes logical precision. Therefore, while I not only grant, but applaud his use of the subjunctive case in the verb of to be; I might remind all that this is what some would refer to a type IV sentence in which the verb of to be restates the subject and the the subjective (or nominal) form of the pronoun should be used and the parenthetical should read, "if you were he".

Keep up the great work, all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
"If you give me your photo, you'll give me a kiss!"

If yes, it's easy.

If no, that means the statement is false and if she gives him a photo, he doesn't get a kiss - but she does so she has to give him a kiss (I know this can be argued against) - this also means: if she doesn't give him a photo, she gives him a kiss.

she could just say that's a lie. no photo. no kiss. i understand where your logic is coming from but it's easy to see that it doesn't work.

here's how i think you came to your conclusion: the girl thinks, "well he's lying, so i don't have to give him my photo. but now that i haven't given him the photo, what he said could be true." yes, it could be true, but isn't necessarily. it could still just be false. since the girl decides whether it's false or not (in the solution you gave, this would be the case) then she decides whether to kiss you or not. no guarantee.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this one works:

"I will receive a kiss from you or I will not get a photo."

If she gives him a photo then the statement would be a lie and so she can't give him the photo.

If she does not give him the photo then it will be true and she has to give him the photo.

The only way out is to give him the kiss which makes it a true statement and thus he must also get the photo. Since the "or" conditional is true if either part is true then this is consistant.

Sound right?

Pop

"Yes," replied miss.

The girl agreed. Then the chap said such a sentence, that after a little while of thinking she realized, that if she wanted to honor her promise, she wouldn't have to give him a photo but a kiss.

Slim Lover - solution

You could say for instance this sentence: „You will give me neither your photo nor a kiss.“

Wait does that one work?

If she gives him a kiss the the statement is a lie, and so she can't give him the photo or the kiss.

If she does'nt give him the kiss or or doesn't give him the photo, or both, then the statement is true,but it wold contradict itself and so she could not give him a photo or a kiss.

What you seem to have here is a statement that makes resolving the issue impossible, but not one which forces her to give a kiss.

Pop

OOOPS, my bad, I see why it works now. I think my solution works too though, and mine is nice becauase it guarantees the photo as well. <!-- s:) --><!-- s:) -->

"Yes," replied miss.

Slim Lover - solution

Better yet, to allow her to give you both a kiss AND her photograph (if she wishes to give you the picture):

Slim Lover - better solution

"Either you will give me neither a kiss nor your photograph, or else you will give me both a kiss and your photograph."

If you want to force the matter and get both a kiss and her photograph, you could do so:

Slim Lover - best solution

"You will either kiss me passionately while giving me your photograph or you will not give me your photograph."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Statements predicting future behavior cannot be "lies." It may not be true that she is going to give him a kiss in the future, but that doesn't mean he's lying when he says it. If is say, "it's going to rain tomorrow," but then it doesn't rain, I wasn't lying when i said, "it's going to rain tomorrow." My statement was untrue... but I wasn't lying because I can't know what's going to happen tomorrow. (If I said, "I think it's going to rain tomorrow," but I don't really think that, then I'm lying.)

Assuming we replace "if it is a lie" with "if it is or turns out to be false," I believe that OP's solution works.

• 1 month later...