BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

Edicius University, Redrum U's East Coast rival, was having their annual alumni fund-raising dinner. A group of the 'most prestigious' (a.k.a. most wealthy) of Edicius U's alumni were gathered in the Pom P. Us Dining Hall to indulge in gourmet food and listen to the University Board make their usual pitch.

As the president of Edicius U's 6th Sleuthing Club, B-kun, was making his way up to the podium to give his speech about the 'sad state of campus safety' (or so the Board had told him to say), suddenly the decorations on the ceiling crashed down to the ground. Then multi-colored streamers began drifting down around the expensively over-dressed individuals in the room. On the streamers were printed words: NOT EDICIUS, BUT REDRUM!

Looking up, B-kun saw affixed to the ceiling a box with a trap door hanging open on the bottom, which had been previously hidden by the decorations. Attached to the handle of the trap door was a thin rope, which had been strung up along the ceiling though circlets of duct-tape. B-kun arched his fine dark eyebrows and spun around briskly, his long white coat fanning out in a circle.

Following the rope into the commercial quality kitchen, B-kun discovered the end of it attached to a circular ring which was lying on the ground. It was approximately the size of his fist, with a piece about an inch and a half wide cut out of it.

A few feet away was a bucket of water with a mop in it, leaning against its edge. Pots and pans were hung up along the ceiling around the center workstation. Along one side of the room were shelves for utensils. Along another side were the doors to the walk-in refrigerator and walk-in freezer.

There was something else on the ground. B-kun bent down and dipped his long finger in the red goop. He brought his finger up to his aristocratic nose and sniffed.

His red-haired Vice President, who had followed him there squealed and reeled back. "Is it...blood?"

"No..." B-kun shook his head and his face formed into his usual disapproving frown as the image of a purple-haired head and a face with mischievous eyes and an enigmatic smile popped into his head. He muttered under his breath, "That woman..."

Edit: Clarification

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Was found close to the mop bucket? The glop was previously frozen into the gap in the ring. The ring was placed on the mop handle, so that when the glop melted it would release the prank. The question is, what was the glop? Ketchup is quite salty, so wouldn't freeze well. I'll go with gelatin of some sort, although I somehow think Y-san used a substance more controlled for the release mechanism.

How am I doing so far?

edit: Something else I noticed

Murder tub, suicide ton

Tub and ton, two different types of containers found in a kitchen. Hmm, I don't think Y-San believes in coincidence...

Edited by Grayven

Was found close to the mop bucket? The glop was previously frozen into the gap in the ring. The ring was placed on the mop handle, so that when the glop melted it would release the prank. The question is, what was the glop? Ketchup is quite salty, so wouldn't freeze well. I'll go with gelatin of some sort, although I somehow think Y-san used a substance more controlled for the release mechanism.

How am I doing so far?

Murder tub, suicide ton

Tub and ton, two different types of containers found in a kitchen. Hmm, I don't think Y-San believes in coincidence...

Definitely significant

Ton is the amount of power used to cool one ton of water 1 degree every 10 minutes. This backs up the frozen ring theory, I think

Edicius University, Redrum U's East Coast rival, was having their annual alumni fund-raising dinner. A group of the 'most prestigious' (a.k.a. most wealthy) of Edicius U's alumni were gathered in the Pom P. Us Dining Hall to indulge in gourmet food and listen to the University Board make their usual pitch.

As the president of Edicius U's 6th Sleuthing Club, B-kun, was making his way up to the podium to give his speech about the 'sad state of campus safety' (or so the Board had told him to say), suddenly the decorations on the ceiling crashed down to the ground. Then multi-colored streamers began drifting down around the expensively over-dressed individuals in the room. On the streamers were printed words: NOT EDICIUS, BUT REDRUM!

Looking up, B-kun saw affixed to the ceiling a box with a trap door hanging open on the bottom, which had been previously hidden by the decorations. Attached to the handle of the trap door was a thin rope, which had been strung up along the ceiling though circlets of duct-tape. B-kun arched his fine dark eyebrows and spun around briskly, his long white coat fanning out in a circle.

Following the rope into the commercial quality kitchen, B-kun discovered the end of it attached to a circular ring which was lying on the ground. It was approximately the size of his fist, with a piece about an inch and a half wide cut out of it.

A few feet away was a bucket of water with a mop in it, leaning against its edge. Pots and pans were hung up along the ceiling around the center workstation. Along one side of the room were shelves for utensils. Along another side were the doors to the walk-in refrigerator and walk-in freezer.

There was something else on the ground. B-kun bent down and dipped his long finger in the red goop. He brought his finger up to his aristocratic nose and sniffed.

His red-haired Vice President, who had followed him there squealed and reeled back. "Is it...blood?"

"No..." B-kun shook his head and his face formed into his usual disapproving frown as the image of a purple-haired head and a face with mischievous eyes and an enigmatic smile popped into his head. He muttered under his breath, "That woman..."

Edit: Clarification

Is there a question here?

Also, where are tubs or tons mentioned?

I am so confused! (sayeth Zippy)

Edited by xucam

Maybe a Popsicle. The mop bucket was found near a walk in freezer so maybe a popsicle was taken out of there and used as the "fuse"

Possible..

Where's the stick? Surely it would have been mentioned? I've been leaning towards raspberry sherbet, although I doubt it could hold.

How am I doing so far?

Murder tub, suicide ton

Nice...and there's nothing like repeating an experiment under controlled circumstances to estimate factors, including time...;)...about the glop...your solution is correct but there is something else you need to take into account that should tell you what the glop is...

Redrum is faaaarrrrrr away from Edicius...so the trick would need to have been completely set up in the Edicius kitchen...

And no...the phrase was kind of suppose to be a play on the phrase "Not suicide but murder"...I also have a sense of humor...;P

B-Kun could be Burger King

The red glop- frozen catsup

Purple head- Grimmace (from McDonalds)

Red headed VP- Wendy

hmmmmm....now, where to go for lunch?

Haha...interesting observations...but the true relation b/w all three...well...look at my avatar ;P (and it has nothing to do with the puzzle itself)

Haha...nice...but no...it was a circular ring (torus shape) not a cylindrical ring...;P

Then it could be a

donut or onion ring or something else like that. Maybe the release was a simple bite through the ring and thus the missing part of the ring? Nah, too simple and hard to control. But hopefully on the right track in some way.

Then it could be a
donut or onion ring or something else like that. Maybe the release was a simple bite through the ring and thus the missing part of the ring? Nah, too simple and hard to control. But hopefully on the right track in some way.

No...it was made of a material that wouldn't deform under the tension in the rope...like brass or something...my clarification about the construction of the ring wasn't that important except the fact that it would be impossible to freeze or gel a free flowing liquid inside it...that's where the importance of the red goop comes in ;P

I think the ring was attached to the mop and was held in place by a frozen red popsicle. When the popsicle thawed it allowed the ring to be released from the mop handle, throwing the popsicle to the ground, melting into red goop. I think if you look in the bucket of water, you might find bits of the red goop.

I think the ring was attached to the mop and was held in place by a frozen red popsicle. When the popsicle thawed it allowed the ring to be released from the mop handle, throwing the popsicle to the ground, melting into red goop. I think if you look in the bucket of water, you might find bits of the red goop.

Interesting idea...but let's say the pranksters from Redrum came from far away and had a long journey (the popsicle would of melted)...and didn't know where any convenience/grocery stores were in the area...;P

I'm thinking...

the "timing" part of the prank would need to have a known start time. So unless they were able to put the mop into the freezer at the school, which from the sounds of things is unlikely, than it would have to be something that is solid at room temperature and water soluble.

Put the ring around the mop handle, pour melted salt in the ring, waited for it to recrystallize, then when you needed the timing to begin drop it into the water in the bucket. When the salt dissolves inthe water the ring will be released.

Of course use Hawaiian Red Salt :)

The goop had to come from the kitchen in question. A commercial quality kitchen that serves gourmet fare. Does this kitchen perhaps have liquid nitrogen for quick freezing deserts? And did the glop smell of horseraddish?

I'm thinking...

the "timing" part of the prank would need to have a known start time. So unless they were able to put the mop into the freezer at the school, which from the sounds of things is unlikely, than it would have to be something that is solid at room temperature and water soluble.

Put the ring around the mop handle, pour melted salt in the ring, waited for it to recrystallize, then when you needed the timing to begin drop it into the water in the bucket. When the salt dissolves inthe water the ring will be released.

Of course use Hawaiian Red Salt :)

Wow that's clever...but how do you account for the red goop? And yes, you can put the mop in the freezer at the school...you just can't bring any already frozen items to the the school...since it's a cross-country journey...;P

The goop had to come from the kitchen in question. A commercial quality kitchen that serves gourmet fare. Does this kitchen perhaps have liquid nitrogen for quick freezing deserts? And did the glop smell of horseraddish?

No liquid nitrogen in the kitchen...just a walk-in freezer...and lol...not horseraddish ;P

One question, when found was the red thing liquid, plasma, or silid?

It was goop. ;P Somewhere b/w liquid/solid...mushy...stuff like that...

Edited by Yoruichi-san

No liquid nitrogen in the kitchen...just a walk-in freezer...and lol...not horseraddish ;P

I only ask..

The liquid nitrogen was something I saw on Iron Chef America last weekend. As for the horseradish, I guess there was no shrimp cocktail for an appetizer on this occasion?

Back to the kitchen...

1) was the mop water warm?

2) was the mop handle wooden or metal, or doesn't it matter?

and

3) Was some kind of punch being served at this sophisticated affair?

Edited by Grayven