BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Death Note Mafia

Yoruichi-san

Okay I just saw the names in Prof. T's post, and looking back at the votes from Day 1, something just struck me as odd. This gave me an idea that I don't think even the DNH or Shinigami can do anything about, even if they know of it. We all know that Prof. T is Misa, and will be voted for tomorrow. Therefore, Aizawa, please set a trap for Dawh to vote for Prof. T tomorrow.

Now this makes more sense - I wondered why you highlighted dawh to be Aizawa's target instead of me or JS. Ryuk couldn't risk being exposed anyway. But Ryuk, you fool, surely you know that your only hope that Aizawa went for a different target and that we lynched Light tomorrow by mistake.

I'm still not sure how Sinistral thinks he can win now, as even with Itachi's forced vote we still lynch PT with a score of 5-4, but we'll see shortly...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAY TWO

Red, orange, and gold rays burst through the clouds in the sky, and shot towards the Investigations building. The wind was still and the red, orange, and gold leaves of the trees near the building were motionless, calm. A bushy-tailed squirrel ran across the road to the base of a tree and paused, clinging fiercely onto his prize of an acorn, before climbing up the trunk and disappearing amidst the foliage.

Inside, the Task Force Members were gathered in a circle around Misa, who gazed back at them with wide, innocent eyes. “You don’t want to do this!” Misa exclaimed. “I’m warning you…my Kira will kill you all!”

“Yeah, yeah,” Cherry Lane dismissed with a wave of her hand. “Boy, today is easy!”

“Let’s get this over with!” grunted Foolonthehill. “I need to get home to my family.”

Joe’s Student approached Misa and grabbed her arm. Rene grabbed her other arm and they had her pinned. “Come on, let’s get that needle in her so we can all get on with our lives.” Rene griped. “I’m really craving some chocolate.”

Itachi approached Misa slowly, the syringe in his hand raised high. Joe’s Student pulled out Misa’s arm roughly, exposing the veins. Joe’s Student smiled triumphantly, and behind him Woon cried “Yay, we get a baddie today!”

Suddenly, Rene felt herself torn away from Misa. She lost her grasp on Misa’s arm and then felt her own arms grasped behind her. She turned, bewildered, to see the face of Dawh towering over her.

“Aha! I knew you couldn’t be trusted” Foolonthehill declared. He rushed over towards the pair with the intent to help Rene. But on his way, he suddenly toppled over an outstretched foot. He landed flat and squarely on his face. Moaning in pain, he flipped himself over to look up into the blank eyes of…Cherry Lane.

“What the…?” muttered Joe’s Student. He turned to Itachi with a questioning expression.

Itachi had a calm, serene look in his eyes. “Don’t worry,” he replied. “It will all be over soon.” He gave Joe’s Student a placid smile. He held the syringe up to Misa’s arm…and abruptly twisted around and lunged at Rene, shoving the needle into her neck.

Rene screamed in pain. Her blurry eyes looked unbelievingly at Itachi. “Why? I thought we were friends…we grew up together!” But Itachi’s eyes only gazed off into space blankly. Itachi was no longer home.

Joe’s Student watched in total bewilderment as Itachi stepped indifferently over Rene’s body. Itachi grabbed JS’s head in his cold steely grip and forced him to his knees. Meanwhile, Cherry Lane had Woon clutched in a death vice, holding a razor-sharpened pencil to Woon’s neck.

“MUHAHAHA!” sneered Sinistral as he glanced around the room. His eyes glowed red with triumph. “Brandonb was right when he said I was L, I am L, the second L, and I am Kira!”

Misa bounded over cheerfully to his side, stepping on the prostrate FOTH’s abdomen while she was at it. He let out a pained “Oomph” but didn’t move. "Yeah!" she cried. "With Itchi-san and Cherry-chan under our control, as long as Ryuk sides with us, Misa Misa and her Kira have majority!"

“Now, I am the God of the new world! Unfortunately, you will all soon be dead and therefore won’t be able to witness my glory. However, be assured that your sacrifices will not be in vain. Your blood will pave the way to a world of peace where Justice prevails!”

Sinistral turned to Dawh and nodded in acknowledgement. “I could not have done this without you, Ryuk. You will get your reward, I promise you.”

Misa brought out a backpack from under the table. She unzipped it and took out two black notebooks. On the fronts the words DEATH NOTE were lettered. She handed one over to Sinistral, and then retrieved a pen from her bodice. “So…how should the rest of them die?” she asked in an ingenuous, excited voice.

That Night, CL was trampled by the Yak looking for the Philosopher. Itachi was slain by a Ninja named Sasuke carrying a Vicious Stabbity Sword.

The following Night, Joe’s Student was run over by a football player. Woon was choked to death on a watermelon seed while reading the horoscopes in the newspaper. Foolonthehill went to fetch a pail of water, but fell down and broke his crown and was dead there ever after.

Ryuk sat on top a barrel of apples, gazing into the horizon. Light and Misa would now create their perfect world. Criminals would be killed with the Death Note and all would respect and fear the God Kira, and law-abiding citizens would have nothing to fear…yada yada yada. What a boring world, thought Ryuk. He picked up an apple and bit into it. Oh well, at least I get this barrel of apples as a consolation prize.

post-7969-1224930347.jpg

Shinigami King: Y

Roster:

1) Dawh - [Ryuk]

2) Prof. Templeton [Misa]

3) Sinistral - [Light]

4) Cherry Lane - [Matsuda]

5) Grey Cells - [Chief Yagami]

6) Itachi-san - [Near]

7) Brandonb - [L]

8) Joe's Student - [Wedy]

9) Rene83 - [Mello]

10) Woon - [Watari]

11) FoolontheHill - [Aizawa]

12) Ben Law - [Rem]

Good game to all! Congratulations to Sinistral for being the perfect Light and scheming up exactly the right move to win the game! And all the while he had everyone convinced that he was the perfect Task Force Member...but that's why he's the perfect Light, after all ;). Thanks to all for playing and special thanks to Prof. Templeton for his amazing Misa impression...I enjoyed it!

Well done baddies - I hadn't realised you got both names right last night and thought you had only one vote in your control.

It turns out that Ryuk took the best option, because I did have a trap set for dawh today and had actually already set it before Sinistral suggested dawh as the target. If you hadn't come out and voted with the DNH, I'd have found you and got you lynched tomorrow - but would we have ever found Sinistral? I'm not sure we would, so very well played!

Wow... what a terrible turn of events. If only I could have made it to the end of the day, I had such great things planned. This was what I had been working on right before I died... (I PMed it to Ysan when I died since I couldn't use it) :P None of the names or actions have been changed, this is copied straight out of the word processor where I had saved it with my roster.

-In the actual night 2 post- suggest that Yagami make the eye deal, and have Yagami check Itachi. And if Itachi happens to be Yagami, then check Woon. Then he would need to just come directly out with it, since there’s a good chance that he was ID’d in the night post anyway. And if he is outed, then no big deal, he could use the ability the next night on someone else like JS or FOTH before he would die.

-Then I spy Sinistral

-And since I would be outed (b/c of the use of my spy ability, if I wasn’t already)… I suggest (in a direct post during the night, not the night post) that Aizawa lay a trap for Dawh to vote for GC, if Aizawa is Dawh, then have Rene vote for Dawh. So during the day, Rene votes for Dawh who votes for GC, and that way he would also learn an ID, and if the corresponding role refused to make the vote, then s/he would be outed as a baddie.

-Then have Wedy use her PM ability on me to her, tell her who I am, and who Sinistral is, and have her make a signal so I would know who she is.

-I would also instruct her, that on the following night, that she should PM all that info to Near or Mellow

-Also, since I would be outed by my spy and would most likely going to be dead by night 3, I need to suggest that Near and Mellow should both come out with their spy abilities on night 3 and just out all of the info given to them.

That way:

On night 2, Wedy would know who Sinistral and myself, and I would know who Sinistral and Wedy were.

On day 2, Aizawa would know who Dawh or Rene was.

Then on night 3 it would all go down…

Yagami could use his Shinigami eyes and expose Itachi or Woon. And either Near or Mellow would know who L, Wedy, and Sinistral were. Everyone would know who Itachi and/or woon were. They would know the names of a couple other people, and since someone would know who Aizawa was, then they could reinforce Aizawa when he outed whoever Dawh or Rene was.

I didn't know that PT and BL were the baddies yet, I never even had them on my radar for using in my plan during the night (I thought PT was either a baddie OR Matsuda, and if he was Matsuda, he had already done too much hinting and would die during the night anyway). However, during the night I would have known Light, and Aizawa would have known Ryuk (or everyone would at least know Dawh was a baddie). :blush:

To tell the truth, I really really wanted to do the random task force member ability on night one, but I didn't want to risk dying before I got out the night post... so I risked living until the next night post... too bad I didn't make it. :(

Anyway, I was having a very hard time choosing who to be L. I thought about Itachi, but I didn't want to risk having him turn out to be a baddie, beause he would surely nail me as L after a stunt like that. I figured that if I picked a baddie, they would surely go along with it and pretend to be L, and that a TF member would possibly decline it, but would most likely go along with it, so nothing would really be learned. So I picked out everyone that I thought would write the post like me... and picked one at random... I picked wrong <_< . In fact... I sent a PM to Ysan saying that Sinistral has turned out to be the perfect choice, he really convinced me that he was most likely to be task fore. My worst nightmare had been realized... well, not exactly. It's was when we lynched Misa that my worst nightmare was realized :P

So once I died (and learned PT and BL's IDs), I sent another PM to Ysan. I told her that Itachi and Rene were on my radar as acting strangely, and that they would most likely Light and Ryuk. Well, my observation was well aimed, but my interpretation was way off. :wacko:

Grrr... Well done Sinistral and PT, you two made a great duo :blush: Next time you won't be so lucky B))

Edited by Brandonb

Sinistral really does his homework. I could tell he put tons of thought into the PM's he would send to myself and Y-san. I was so excited to finally be a baddie, I guess it showed up in my posts. You guys were all over me. :D After you tried to lynch me on day 1, I kew what Light and I had to do. If Ryuk had eliminated one more TF member, we wouldn't need to enlist his help to produce at least a tie. As long as we keep eliminating TF members and control the voting, we were sure to win. After Ryuk went for a member I had already targeted we knew the only way the baddies could win is if we all voted together. My compliments to Y-san on a well thought out game. I really enjoyed being Misa out in the open (even though I've never seen a single Death Note episode. Thanks Internet!). Everyone, well played. I'm glad the baddies won, however. B))

Yeah, I actually wanted to try to win, but I wasn't thinking clearly last night when I posted and it was only after it was too late that I realized that I couldn't stop the DNHs once they won the lynch vote... :o

If I hadn't, I might have been able to barter with the Task Force as they would need my vote to stop Light from controlling the votes on him own as two were going to die tonight.

Actually, I spied on Brandonb the first night, so I knew the what was going on better than most. I was planning to kill him secretly on the second night, just to screw with everything. :P I thought that PT was Matsuda, so I wasn't really that concerned with him dying...just my luck. I almost spied on Sinistral the second night, but I was trying to find Mellow or Near and was under the impression that Bb hadn't just picked someone, but had effected some sort of message through Wedy first. It was after that that I realized that that wouldn't have worked. I figured that if Bb knew Sinistral's identity, he wouldn't use it if he were Mellow or Near as everyone would want to know after (or before) the kill failed the next night.

It was certainly an interesting game, but I think the vote manipulation is a little too powerful, at least for the number of players. They didn't need very many people to die before they had majority every day... <_<

Wow! That's awesome!

I should know sinistral is a baddie because

Sinistral = Sin is to represent a Light !!! :o

oops, Just joking. :D

Good game!!! and I will watch out while eating watermelon.

First, Yoruichi, thank you! I really enjoyed this, the set-up of it meant everyone had to contribute, it was great (even if we didn't win).

Second, I think I speak for everyone when I say well played PT and Sinistral, and especially Sinistral, who basically fooled everyone of us, and made a great move to win the game. I think next time the Task Force definitely need to be better organised, someone to direct us. Was a shame we hit Rem on day 1, that stripped us of L and therefore our organiser.

dawh you're a slimy one though :P . I didn't think Rene was Ryuk but I definitely didn't think it was you. Was just logging on to claim to be Ryuk (to try and counter Misa's and Light's plans), when I realised the final Day Post had already been written and posted, well played.

So yeah YS... any chance of starting another one tomorrow? :D

Edit: Run over by a footballer... :blink::lol:

Edited by Joe's Student

Thanks, Y!

This was fun, even though I coudn't save anyone. And I have to be honest, even though I questioned Sinistral's task force staus publicly, in the end, he's the one who got the apple on night 2. Don't I feel the fool!

So that message from the DNH - I read it to mean they knew who I was (since apples and cherries are both red). So I figured my vote was being manipulated and I would die at night (trampled by the Yak...I guess I deserved that...). But I couldn't say anything about it, because if it wasn't right I'd be giving myself away, and if it was right, there was nothing I could do about it.

But was there more to the message than just announcing I was doomed?

Yeah, I feel like it's my fault. I hadn't put a lot of thought into baddie strategy, and I didn't realize how important it was for L to use the posts to organize the task force's night actions. :blink:

No, you did a great job...you really lived up to the name of L ;). The only thing L had on you was that he had a little more "willingness to act"...(I've been looking at Death Note: How to Read 13 ;P), i.e. take chances. But otherwise, you were a great L :D.

You all did great and a lot of thanks to you all for playing! There may be a rematch ;P and I'm planning some changes...to make it less hard on Ryuk, the DNH will not know the Shinigami at the beginning...for L I'll lower the percentages by 10% each...and Light can't trade for the Shinigami Eyes until Misa is dead...and I'll probably add another task force member.

Of course, I also have version 2 planned...with Light vs. Mello vs. Near...;P

So yeah YS... any chance of starting another one tomorrow? :D

Edit: Run over by a footballer... :blink::lol:

Hehe...I'd love to...but I thing Light needs a break ;P...actually there will definitely be another DNM sometime (with some adjustments), since so much of the potential (Wedy particularly) went untapped this short game, but I know unreality wanted to start some other game and Bb wants to do his Heroes Hybrid...and I try to be respectful of other people's plans ;).

Thanks, Y!

This was fun, even though I coudn't save anyone. And I have to be honest, even though I questioned Sinistral's task force staus publicly, in the end, he's the one who got the apple on night 2. Don't I feel the fool!

So that message from the DNH - I read it to mean they knew who I was (since apples and cherries are both red). So I figured my vote was being manipulated and I would die at night (trampled by the Yak...I guess I deserved that...). But I couldn't say anything about it, because if it wasn't right I'd be giving myself away, and if it was right, there was nothing I could do about it.

But was there more to the message than just announcing I was doomed?

Haha...yeah the Yak thing was actually meant to be in homage to that great puzzle ;). Actually, I was planning to write it in that format and have the challenge be "figure out how CL died", but the game was over...oh well.

Lol...actually the message wasn't announcing your doom...it was part of Sinistral's brilliant plan...but I'll let him tell you about it ;P.

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Wow, great game everyone. I got so lucky that L chose me to be the decoy... that was so cool how it fit the actual storyline of the anime. :D

Bb, it was an excellent plan you had, lynching Misa was the only thing that screwed it up because you died before the night and were unable to get your message out to Wedy. It would have been interesting to see how things played out otherwise. I know how you feel though, my plan in the Heroes game totally backfired on me and I had to sit there dead unable to say anything about it.

Prof T., you played such a great Misa with those posts, you even had me fooled. I thought you'd seen the anime for sure!

Dawh, you made the right choice. I was playing out all the possible end game scenarios in my head, even if Misa got lynched, and none of them looked good for Ryuk. Personally I think Ryuk has the hardest win condition in the game to achieve, even harder than Rem's. It really was the best possible ending I think. If he had a vote manipulation of his own, or if the DNH's death note didn't take priority over his, then things would be different. I've made some suggestions to Y-san about balancing things out a bit, and I'm sure she will make the next game even better.

CL you had me fooled as well. I had some guesses as to the other TF members identities, but I was way off and had no idea you were Matsuda. When Prof T. made his claim about the apple, I was looking to see if anyone changed their vote to him shortly after that... would have been a sign of the real Matsuda. But you stuck with Rene and I had no idea. If not for Misa's eyes I don't think we would have figured you out. About the message, it was written on Night 1 and we had no idea about your identity. It was another part of my plan that I never actually got to use. Now I'm not sure if I want to share it... or use it again in a future game if I'm ever a DNH, since nobody picked up on it yet.... ah but Prof T knows already so I guess I might as well explain. :P It has to do with the language. When L wrote that night message, I was almost certain it was Bb. He's the only one I've noticed who writes "Ysan". I normally write "Y-san" and had to consciously write "Ysan" in my posts while pretending to be L. Even then I think the difference in the tone of our messages was far too obvious. Does the note found on GC about the apples look like something I would write? If you consider the language... who would you think wrote it? Also, its partly a joke reference to something in the Death Note anime, which means Light has seen the anime, and I purposely guessed wrong on the Shinigami King question to make it seem like I hadn't seen the anime, even though I really knew the answer. It was basically a backup plan to disguise my identity which I never really had to use because L had already given me a better disguise.

FOTH, I must say I was very impressed with your level of play for someone I hadn't seen playing mafia before. Using the trap on dawh as Aizawa was exactly what I would have done if I were Aizawa, because his vote on day 1 seemed suspicious. When I suggested it I had no idea the actual Aizawa had already done so! Not just that but your participation in the discussion was very intelligent and well thought out without giving away your identity. I'll be sure to watch out for you next time! :D

I had a lot of fun with this and wanted to say thanks to everyone for making it fun and thanks to Y-san for designing a game with so many different layers of deception.

Dawh, you made the right choice. I was playing out all the possible end game scenarios in my head, even if Misa got lynched, and none of them looked good for Ryuk. Personally I think Ryuk has the hardest win condition in the game to achieve, even harder than Rem's. It really was the best possible ending I think. If he had a vote manipulation of his own, or if the DNH's death note didn't take priority over his, then things would be different. I've made some suggestions to Y-san about balancing things out a bit, and I'm sure she will make the next game even better.

CL you had me fooled as well. I had some guesses as to the other TF members identities, but I was way off and had no idea you were Matsuda. When Prof T. made his claim about the apple, I was looking to see if anyone changed their vote to him shortly after that... would have been a sign of the real Matsuda. But you stuck with Rene and I had no idea. If not for Misa's eyes I don't think we would have figured you out. About the message, it was written on Night 1 and we had no idea about your identity. It was another part of my plan that I never actually got to use. Now I'm not sure if I want to share it... or use it again in a future game if I'm ever a DNH, since nobody picked up on it yet.... ah but Prof T knows already so I guess I might as well explain. :P It has to do with the language. When L wrote that night message, I was almost certain it was Bb. He's the only one I've noticed who writes "Ysan". I normally write "Y-san" and had to consciously write "Ysan" in my posts while pretending to be L. Even then I think the difference in the tone of our messages was far too obvious. Does the note found on GC about the apples look like something I would write? If you consider the language... who would you think wrote it? Also, its partly a joke reference to something in the Death Note anime, which means Light has seen the anime, and I purposely guessed wrong on the Shinigami King question to make it seem like I hadn't seen the anime, even though I really knew the answer. It was basically a backup plan to disguise my identity which I never really had to use because L had already given me a better disguise.

I did pick up on the apples reference from PT and I didn't want to implicate myself by voting for him on the first day. So I got out by following his choice of accusing itachi (probably not the best choice on my part, but oh well... :o )

I haven't thought of the odds very carefully, but after I voted for Rene and realized that I had just surrendered my veto power, it occurred to me that I could have bartered for a while with the TF after PT was gone. With two more TF members dying in the night, Light would control 2 votes of 6, making me something of a swing vote. If they lynched me, Light would kill one and take another vote, so he would have 2 of four and then it would be up to Y-san or chance to decide who was lynched. However, Light couldn't kill me directly and I would be in a position to stall Light's progress and I would have hoped to convince the remaining TF to pick the winner, me or Light, since I would emphasize the small chance that the TF had of winning. Of course, this is all hindsight after the fact... <_<

And yes, L's message was very reminiscent of a certain Bankroller. :P It was even more interesting since I knew who sent it. :lol:

I haven't thought of the odds very carefully, but after I voted for Rene and realized that I had just surrendered my veto power, it occurred to me that I could have bartered for a while with the TF after PT was gone. With two more TF members dying in the night, Light would control 2 votes of 6, making me something of a swing vote. If they lynched me, Light would kill one and take another vote, so he would have 2 of four and then it would be up to Y-san or chance to decide who was lynched. However, Light couldn't kill me directly and I would be in a position to stall Light's progress and I would have hoped to convince the remaining TF to pick the winner, me or Light, since I would emphasize the small chance that the TF had of winning. Of course, this is all hindsight after the fact... <_<

Yes there would have been 6 people, and I'd just have manipulated my two votes to be for Ryuk. Now the TF can either lynch Ryuk, who would have been known by Aizawa, and force a 50/50 coin flip with 4 left in the next round to determine the winner between Light/TF, or they could give up their 50% chance to win the game and lynch Light and give Ryuk the win. They could also have lynched one or their own and given the win to either Light/Ryuk, but they would know who Light and Ryuk were at that point, so lynching one of their own was not likely. Since Light's 2 votes would be for Ryuk, and the TF member being lynched obviously wouldn't vote for himself, it would have taken Ryuk's vote plus both the remaining TF members just to force a tie. Besides, lynching anyone other than Ryuk in the round of 6 would eliminate the TF's 50% chance of winning, so I don't see how anyone would have been able to convince them to do otherwise.

Yes there would have been 6 people, and I'd just have manipulated my two votes to be for Ryuk. Now the TF can either lynch Ryuk, who would have been known by Aizawa, and force a 50/50 coin flip with 4 left in the next round to determine the winner between Light/TF, or they could give up their 50% chance to win the game and lynch Light and give Ryuk the win. They could also have lynched one or their own and given the win to either Light/Ryuk, but they would know who Light and Ryuk were at that point, so lynching one of their own was not likely. Since Light's 2 votes would be for Ryuk, and the TF member being lynched obviously wouldn't vote for himself, it would have taken Ryuk's vote plus both the remaining TF members just to force a tie. Besides, lynching anyone other than Ryuk in the round of 6 would eliminate the TF's 50% chance of winning, so I don't see how anyone would have been able to convince them to do otherwise.

Your probably right, but I was pretty much doomed in every scenario where the TF succeeded in lynching a villain on the first day. I never would have risked PMing "Light" on the first day if I didn't know the target, and if Rem is lynched, then Light and Misa will have a huge advantage over me, and as we saw, with Misa being lynched, then s/he can be public about my identity.

Yeah, it was Aizawa (aka FOTH)'s smart move that made it impossible for Ryuk to win. But at the time, Dawh couldn't have know he was the one Aizawa trapped.

But yeah, Ryuk is getting some major tweaks for DNM Rematch. I'm also thinking of making it bigger.

Oh, one thing I do want to point out: the simplistic "Aha, a baddie! Let's get him!" mentality is bad in this game, as we saw with Misa's lynch, and it's suppose to be that way. I wanted it to be somewhat complex, and I'm glad that Light and L both tried to make good use of that ;). The goal was to find a baddie and use that to discover the other baddies and the identity of the baddie. It was apparent from Ben Law's actions that he was Rem protecting Misa. Oh, and Ben Law also got a win, since Misa survived.