BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Atheism discussion

unreality

Let's see... on a more serious note. I have been thinking about my atheism lately in a very downward spiralish way. Not that I am going to believe in God ever, just that atheism kind of sucks and here is why. No matter if I live the greatest life or the worst life, when I die I'm nothing and so is the person whose life was Great or Awful. This essentially means that our generation, whether good, bad, poor, beautiful, prosperous, etc... doesn't amount to anything except a fleeting mix of sensations.

Well now wait a second, we leave behind our collective unconscious. We leave our experience and our deeds to the next generation so they can hopefully prosper from what we've done. So that's a reason to lead a good life, but... they will die just like we did and so on and so on. When a flower dies, no one questions where it's "being" goes. I don't know too many adults who believe in Doggie Heaven, so why should humans be different? We are animals too. Just another species. I believe that when we die, that's it. Game over.

Are you sure that you aren't me? And we just somehow don't know it?

I've been dealing with the same problems lately. About the complete futility, and some might say, pointlessness in life.

I'm not sure whether I fear death. Or fear my last moments... Whether or not I will know that I am about to die.. I'm just terrified at the thought.

It's because of this feeling I have, that everything I do now will clearly not effect me, after I am dead. That now, my one main goal in life is to have a child.

However, I noticed that.. Well, I dunno, it seems a BIT better when you ask the question the other way.

Instead of saying "why does it matter"

Ask, "what matters more"

Honestly, if this life is all that we will ever know. Then why is it unimportant? Isn't it really the most important thing to us? Aside, of course, those around you whom you love.

I think, that my other goal (however abstract this is) is to lie on my deathbed, without any regrets...

exactly - life is fleeting, and I respect your opinion that it's meaningless, but I have to disagree. The universe is a chaotic and beautiful place, and we should appreciate its vast wonder and (etc ;D). But really, live your life to the best because there is nothing after it. This is your shot, no heaven, no hell, just us. So you can live it anyway you want, cuz when you die you're dead. So enjoy life, my friend B))

are you sure you're not the other half of me?

Honestly, put Unreality and Itachi in a blender, out pops Ploper :D

eww, that sounds kind of gross, actually

Edited by Ploper

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah - I'm saying that the liberating beauty of life lies in the fact that it has absolutely no meaning! That's what's so awesome!

and when we die, we won't care that there was no meaning ;)

I'm reminded of one of my favorite anime character's quotes: "True Art is not eternal beauty, True Art is beauty that blossoms for only a moment and then disappears." - not an exact quote, but it's the gist of what Deidara says in Naruto.

OK so I jumped in a little late...Oh well.

UR, after our discussion the War thread...I had an Epiphany...I'm becoming more Agnostic rather than religious...I was sitting with my uncle just chatting and realized that I question religion more than anything....go figure lol

ha you boys crack me up!

Anyways, coming from a UCC background (obama's church and Congregationalist)

I find that a faith community is important. True I am an atheist but I love being

a part of a community of seekers. I think it is vitally important that we all have the

experience of a church and religion so that we wont mistake a cultish religion as

the answer for all our questions. Questioning is great! People who are so 100%

certain scare the hell out of me.

ha you boys crack me up!

Anyways, coming from a UCC background (obama's church and Congregationalist)

I find that a faith community is important. True I am an atheist but I love being

a part of a community of seekers. I think it is vitally important that we all have the

experience of a church and religion so that we wont mistake a cultish religion as

the answer for all our questions. Questioning is great! People who are so 100%

certain scare the hell out of me.

I disagree - I know the importance of not having a cult church, and I rarely go to any type of church ;D

The 'community feeling' that is often associated with being a member of a church is certainly not limited to churches... not by far. It's an umbrella feeling which can really be felt in all kinds of situations... You don't need to be part of a church to 'belong' somewhere, that's rediculous :D

I disagree - I know the importance of not having a cult church, and I rarely go to any type of church ;D

The 'community feeling' that is often associated with being a member of a church is certainly not limited to churches... not by far. It's an umbrella feeling which can really be felt in all kinds of situations... You don't need to be part of a church to 'belong' somewhere, that's rediculous :D

Very true, there are all sorts of things, car clubs, motorcycle clubs, community service (voluntary), just about anything you can think of.

Oh I know - I was talking to Blade, not you. Sorry for the misunderstanding :D

Oh OK :D

The next thing I was thinking about was this:

Positives and Negatives of religion. What do you guys think?

Positives -

Gives structure

In a way it kind of acts as a rule book of right and wrong

Helps to explain the unexplainable.

Negs -

Too many conflicting views amongst different religions

The moral development between religions can cause culture clashes resulting in major conflict.

Depending on the individual , can create closed minds.

On the topic of helps to explain the unexplainable, that's exactly what mythology does. And as I'm sure most of us in this thread know, all myths, including the Bible (primarily OT), have the same basis,

-Creation Myth

-Beginning conflict

-Disapproval of human behavior

-A hero's journey, Usually one of both worlds (Heaven and Earth), in which they have to make a sacrifice in order to "ascend" into the Heavens.

You've done nothing but spam this thread

Actually, not just this one. He has in a number of other Others threads, commenting about what people post but not really adding anything substantial to the topic.