BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Sally hard at work

Question

Sally works on a farm. It takes her between 10 and 12 minutes to do each chore. She has a date today in a neighboring city, so she wants to get done fast so as to get ready and make the trip in time. Sally starts work at 5 am. She feeds the pigs, gathers eggs, corrals the horses, and sheers the sheep. It's now 5:45 am . Next she bails the hay, mows the lawn, paints the shutters, and waters the corn. Then she feeds the chickens, corrals the pigs and waters the horses. If Sally wants to finish chores by 7 am, how long will she take milking the steers?

4 answers to this question

She needs to only take five minutes, if she completed all the other chores in ten minutes,

But every chore takes at least 10 minutes so the answer is that it is impossible to finish her chores before 7AM.

Actually, I think you can milk steers, it just not milk you are after. It would be similar to milking a snake, again with a different objective. For the snake, milking means acquiring poison. It should be obvious what the goal would be with the steers.

That aside, I grant you credit on the misdirection. By the end of the riddle, I was not even reading what the chores were, but just counting them for the math.