BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yo-yo!

Question

Imangine that you have a yo-yo that is fully unwound.

Dangling freely above the ground and still attached to your finger.

How could you sever the string without holding the yo-yo or the string in any other way, so that it would not fall :huh:

17 answers to this question

probably, the string was attached to a ring. remove the ring from your finger...

Couldn't be more wrong

How was the string cut

Cut a little useless piece off of the end beyond the knot around your finger.

Don't know how you tie a yo-yo to your finger, as most people use a slip knot to attach it and therefore would have no wasteful pieces on the end

I need a better answer that applies to the question at hand

I said I needed a better answer!

The Yo-yo cannot fall!

Your sentence "How could you sever the string without holding the yo-yo or the string in any other way, so that it would not fall" is ambiguous.

It says "How could you sever the string so that it would not fall" 'it' clearly being the string, with the conditions "without holding the yo-yo or the string in any other way."

I assume you're withholding a better answer and I think you should share it with us already.

I assume you're withholding a better answer and I think you should share it with us already.

If you tie a knot in the string, so that there is a loop that hangs freely you can then cut it and the yo-yo will not fall

Don't know how you tie a yo-yo to your finger, as most people use a slip knot to attach it and therefore would have no wasteful pieces on the end

Don't know how you tie a slip knot without a piece at the end.

http://www.yoyoguy.com/info/yoyo/index2.html

I need a better answer that applies to the question at hand

My answer actually is better. Your riddle starts with "Imangine that you have a yo-yo that is fully unwound.

Dangling freely above the ground and still attached to your finger".

Your answer requires tying a knot which would be hard to do without holding the string or the yo-yo or tying the knot in advance. My answer requires doing neither of those things and involves only a yo-yo with a standard slip knot (which most people don't trim so close there isn't room to trim off a little more).

a) lower the yo-yo to the ground and then cut the string.

B) you said "Imagine". Okay - I will imagine that the yo-you stays suspended in the air.

Not the answers you wanted, but what-the-hey!

I agree with Martini. Tying a knot in the string would require to the hold the string and possibly the yo-you in some "other way", which then violates a condition of the puzzle. Also, having a know it the string violates the scenario in which states that the string is "fully unwound" and the yo-yo is "Dangling freely above the ground".

My solution, while not very feasible, is to slice the string vertically. I am not sure if this would qualify as severing the string without cutting the string completely in two, which would be extremely difficult to do this way.