BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Beggar

unreality

Question

let me start if off with the Beggar I just came up with: (it's an expansion of the 5-day winner idea)

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 5 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Edited by bonanova

• Answers 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So he basically just tries to survive, right? THat would be an interesting and complicated role to play, not sure how it would work out. Though I like it. ^_^

Edited by Frost

Yeah, it would be intense. And very hard. Each Phoenix Crown you exchange will just make it harder. How about they can pack up after 4 days? Yeah that makes way more sense:

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 4 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Wow, that's like an every-day GR, OR s/he gets to know 5 people's roles every single day?

If so, they will never win, they need to get 4 crowns remember. Wait, do they win with the innocents if they lose but the innocents win?

Edited by Frost

the beggar seems to be powerful for a beggar: A day-time GR, an extremely knowledgeable Investigator, but the only downside is that most games don't last up to four days, right?

the beggar seems to be powerful for a beggar: A day-time GR, an extremely knowledgeable Investigator, but the only downside is that most games don't last up to four days, right?

Yeah, the beggar wouldn't want to keep using his crowns, or he would never win. He would probably use one, ma, just to escape a lynching or kill of a specific person to prolong the game.

yes, they are an independent-person whose entire goal is to manipulate the game until lasting til the Beggar has 4 Phoenix Crowns. Just cuz he can give up 1 Phoenix Crown to kill once that night does not make him a powerful-killer- that means he has to survive one more day, so it's only a last resort

yes, they are an independent-person whose entire goal is to manipulate the game until lasting til the Beggar has 4 Phoenix Crowns. Just cuz he can give up 1 Phoenix Crown to kill once that night does not make him a powerful-killer- that means he has to survive one more day, so it's only a last resort

Ok, so the Begger is not an innocent, nor a baddie right? "cause it it's an innocent then it becomes an uber-vigilante

I'm compiling all of the previously suggested roles (Except for the ones involving people coming back from the dead) and I will post it soon. However I just thought of another role and wanted to go ahead and post it now.

*The Psychic- The Psychic gets alerted to any actions that are chosen to occur to him/her at night, and can choose whether or not to allow the action to occur. If the spy chooses to spy on the Psychic, then the psychic gets alerted of this and chooses whether or not the action works. Or if the Psychic is targeted for a kill, then the psychic can choose to avoid the killing. This would have the upside of living, though the group who targeted the psychic would know, and would push for that person to be lynched the next day. *Exceptions- the psychic can only choose one action per night to deny (so if two factions choose to kill the psychic on the same night, then the psychic dies). AND (maybe) the Psychic may not reveal their role b/c the _____ role is hunting him/her for the win.

I was also considering a role (Like the bodyguard/vigilante) that could not be killed at night. This would most likely be an attribute for a baddie, so the baddie could not be killed by other baddies.

* Policeman - the Policeman/woman (I'll just refer to as "Policeman" and "he" from now on) can make arrests during the day. The Policeman can make as many arrests as he wants during the day by PMing me, of which I announce during when it happens- so everyone knows which people are in the jail. If the Policeman arrests the Master of Subterfuge, it's revealed that he tried to do so and the MoS got away, but the MoS's identity is not revealed (by me anyways). The people that are in jail can still vote and converse normally via visiting hours, lawyers, etc ;D

Jailbreak- a jailbreak will never occur if there are only 1 or 2 people in jail, but if there are 3+ people in jail, and a majority of them are baddies, there is a jailbreak and everyone is freed from jail. If exactly half are baddies, there is only a jailbreak if those baddies are all in the same faction. A JAILBREAK ONLY OCCURS IN THE DAY POST AT THE END OF THE DAY.

Another "Additional Role", similar to Tiebreaker and Masked Lovers (who are always randomly picked by the host), the Escapee is another role randomly picked by the host (and could be a baddie or Innocent). The Escapee will break out of jail solo at the end of the day, but only if there is no jailbreak.

Those who are still in jail at the end of the day (after jailbreak and escapes) get held overnight, and cannot perform their various actions that night. They are released in the morning, and get x2 voting power the next day, if still alive, for their troubles

If the Policeman is lynched, there is a mass jailbreak that day and then the jail is closed down

If the Policeman dies at night, just nobody gets arrested the next day and it either means the Policeman is laying low or he has died

yeah, you can't have an Innocent that can't be killed at night, they would out themselves first thing

edit: I like the Psychic. I'll repost the Policeman (slightly modified)

true, it would definitely be a baddie ability. Oh I know. Maybe it should be a universal ability for all-and-only the Quarkies since they don't start the game knowing eachother and can't kill. They still get lynched and all, but at least they get their own little advantage like the mafia. Then, this ability goes away when the Quarkies get in touch with eachother (two men are easier to find for a nighttime kill than 1 alone).

BTW, what do you think of the Psychic idea?

* Psychic- the Psychic gets alerted to any actions that are chosen to occur to him/her at night, and can choose whether or not to allow the action to occur. If the spy chooses to spy on the Psychic, then the psychic gets alerted of this and chooses whether or not the action works. Or if the Psychic is targeted for a kill, then the psychic can choose to avoid the killing. This would have the upside of living, though the group who targeted the psychic would know, and would push for that person to be lynched the next day. *Exceptions- the psychic can only choose one action per night to deny (so if two factions choose to kill the psychic on the same night, then the psychic dies)..

(I like it :P)

yeah I like the QA ability to be invincible at night until they get contact... and then after that they are never invincible at night again, even if the other QA they had contact with dies

lol sound like the Beggar?

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 4 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

i guess but it could be something different, just i think it would be cool for someone to start off knowing who everybody is and then having some sort of disadvantage for balance

or mabey there is someone who knows all identities and is invincible but to win, the have to get like 4 specific people to be the last 4 and if any one of those 4 die before they are the last 4 the invincible mastermind dies with them

howbout an indepentent character that knows what everybody's role is from the beginning and has to manipulate everybody so he/she will be the last person/live a certain amount of days

Yeah, that's the exact idea that my Oracle suggestion was. I'll repost it again soon.

I do like the Beggar role better than the Oracle though. B/C then the character doesn't know who everyone is from the beginning, and the Beggar must make sacrifices, rather than just wise decisions.

BTW, just to clarify, the Psychic can choose to do that for any night time action, not just the Spy and a killing (those were just examples). They could also deny the Thief, or the Bomb Lie-detector, or the other things like that.

I came up with an alternate role instead of the Inspector. I know the Inspector is a good character, but this character comes out as something of an inspector/squeaker hybrid. It also sort competes with the Beggar and TwoADays suggestions. What do you think?

* Mole - is an Innocent who begins the game knowing the identities of all mafiosos. However, if lynched, the Mole will reveal the identity of one important character (ie. Defender) and if killed at night, reveals the role of two players selected by the faction who killed him [possibly, as an alternative, the faction can request the identity of one role instead of two players.] (The character identification thing would be done entirely through the host of course, the person playing the mole only knows the mafia.) If one of the requested players is a baddie, then ID is "Baddie" because the Mole only recognizes innocents and the mafia, not the GR and QAs or other baddies.

I'm not sure of the balance of the character, but as the Mole, you definitely have to play your cards carefully or the baddies will kill you quickly and gain a large advantage over the Innocents. One thing missing from the Mole compared to the Inspector is the double-edged sword of the Special Mafia Wipeout. If anyone other than the Ninja kills the Mole, it's bad news for the Innocents and there's no risk for mafia trying to kill the Mole...

As to the Beggar, that is an interesting mix and the player would have to figure things out very carefully to prolong the game long enough to win. It's a strategy intensive character, which adds a different feel to the game of some other characters (like the Defender and the saving throws) who need primarily to keep a low profile so as not to attract the attention of the baddies.

Have to think on some of the other roles still...

love love love the policeman idea - but only if I get that role. ;) I'm already daydreaming of strategies for use (can anyone say Mafia addict?). :D:D But with a 1 in 20 chance of being the policeman (if its even adopted), perhaps my mental abilities would be better focused elsewhere....

Edited by Cherry Lane