BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

me and Alexander Hamilton

Question

this is a classic (aka easy), but one of my favorites . Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton were in a duel. Aaron shoots and killed his opponent yet 3 days later a witness swears Hamilton was walking though town. Is the observer mad ?

After hearing two eyewitness accounts of the same accident, you begin to wonder about history.

9 answers to this question

the funeral

No Alexander was in fact alive and walking around town, sorry if that was unclear. Although i must commend you, a funeral is a clever answer barring my one stipulation.

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh

Writersblock: I thought that was the solution at first. and it could too, be cause he does state that

this is a classic (aka easy)
. However they were in duel so they had to be shooting at each other, that makes Hamilton an opponent. ... so is that easy? or is it tricky?...

So if we must assume they were in a duel against each other, the answer must be:

As in real life, Hamilton didn't die immediately. As in many gun wounds of the day, the muzzle velocity was low but the mass of the projectile was high, causing horrible wounds that didn't result in secondary trauma deaths. Hamilton died later, thus the phrasing "shoots and killed" not "shoots and kills." Where present tense/past tense refers to two different moments in time, rather than the present/present phrasing that would indicate two events close in time.

Or, if we are using metaphor and obfuscation, Seeing Hamilton walking around town could refer to the impact he had on society of the day - but I like my other answer best.

You say Burr killed his opponent, but fail to call the opponent Hamilton. I propose that Hamilton wasn't the man killed in the duel.

this is the answer i had in mind, however i like your latter answer much better. I may use it

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door