BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Mafia

unreality

I made up Mass Battle and I made up The DEITY System, but I did NOT make up Mafia, so if turns out to be a sucky game, it's not my fault :D lol

The Updated, Final Rules: Click Here

There are two factions: Mafiosos and Innocents

I (Unreality) am the Host- I am neither faction, but I oversee the game

In the beginning, everyone signs up to play, then I randomly pick Mafia members- there's always more Innocents than Mafiosos. I PM all the Mafiosos, telling them who ALL the Mafiosos are, then on this topic I post the total number of mafiosos, so that the Innocents know (but the Innocents do not know who among them are Mafia members)

The game takes place in cycles of night and day. At night, each Mafioso PMs me (and only me) who they want to kill, and how. I take whoever got the most votes and mix all the methods of killing for that person, and in the morning (after all Mafiosos have submitted their vote), I announce who dies, and how, and they are out of the game.

In the day, everyone still alive in the game discusses who they want to "lynch" (the Innocents want to lynch suspected Mafia members). Once a majority consensus is reached, that person is written off the game as well. Remember, the Mafia members (secretly pretending to be Innocents) also vote who to lynch.

* If the last person standing is an Innocent, the Innocents win.

* If the Mafia members ever have a majority of numbers over the Innocents, the Mafia members win (you COULD keep playing after this, but there would be no point, Mafia would win no matter what)

Special Roles:

* The Doctor- I will secretly choose one Innocent to be the Doctor, who, every night, PMs me of one person they want to "save", which cannot be themselves. If this person is voted by the Mafia, the person lives.

* The Traitor- I will secretly choose one Innocent to be the Traitor, who only wins if the Mafia wins. The Mafia do not know who this Traitor is- ie, the Traitor has inspirations to be a Mafioso, but isn't an official member.

* The Don- one of the Mafia members will be the Don. At night, instead of voting for someone to be killed, the Don can opt to recruit one Innocent to be a Mafia member. The Don can only do this once. The Innocent is informed, but the other Innocents aren't. All of the Mafiosos know who the Don is

* The Martyr- another secret Innocent role. They can opt to, ONLY ONCE, and at any time, PM me with a suspected Mafioso. I reveal (to everyone) the role of this exposed person, but the Martyr DIES (thus everyone learns who the Martyr was, too)

RULES

No outside contact! YOU CANNOT PM PEOPLE ABOUT THE GAME! This is the most important and ONLY rule in the entire game, and if anyone breaks it, they are never allowed to play Mafia ever ever ever again on this forum.

SIGNING UP

Just put your name here, in a list:

1) Unreality

2) etc

we can have as many people, but we have to have at least 7 or 8 to play, hopefully 10+

Only play if you can play reguarly! You will need to be an active participant in the game, and if enough time goes on and you still haven't PMed/voted (depending on your position), your character will be murdered

Edited by Martini

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Unreality

2) Kingofpain

3) Thuhchris

4) Frost

5) Itachi

6) Brandonb

7) grey cells

8) pieman

grey cells: I guess it depends on how often you're on... even if different time zones, as long as you're on often enough, that's okay :D I was thinking of making each period/daynightcycle/round/whatever about 24 hours or so to give everyone enough time to do their job

Another special role: The Grim Reaper

every other night (2nd, 4th, etc), the Grim Reaper picks one person to kill. The Grim Reaper is neither an Innocent nor a Civilian, and nobody knows who he or she is (except himself or herself). The Grim Reaper only wins if he/she is the last remaining player in the game. If the Grim Reaper suspects that the remaining members are all Mafiosos other than him/her, the Grim Reaper can do a Mafia Wipeout at ANY night, not just every-other-night, and kill all the Mafiosos, leaving the Grim Reaper as the winner- but if the Grim Reaper is wrong, he or she gets Grimly Reaped

another, more in depth outline of the game:

Nighttime- nobody posts anything, the Mafiosos PM me who they want to kill. The Mafiosos can also PM each other during this time! IT IS THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THE RULE. At any other time, and any other roles, PMing ABOUT THE GAME IS NOT ALLOWED! NO OUTSIDE CONTACT! Once a Mafia majority and agreement is reached, and once the Doctor has PMed who they want to save, and once the Grim Reaper has PMed who they want to visit (every other night), or if they PM me quick enough before the Mafia decides, they can try a Mafia Wipeout.

Once I have that in, I make a little story of what happened during the night.

Then the daytime begins, and all living players decide on who to lynch, and what manner the execution should be. Once a majority has been reached, I create a little story.

Then nighttime begins again.

new role: The Ghost

it sucks to be the first person to die, so that person will now become the Ghost. They are still dead, so they cannot speculate/post in the daytime and such (NOBODY can during the nighttime, they're sleeping in Awesomeville, the town where this will take place)... but the Ghost can pick one person and see into their soul, and that person's Special Role, if any, is revealed to the Ghost. What the Ghost decides to do with that information is his or her choice (since he or she is out of the game, they can freely PM people)

That seems like it will get complicated with all of those special roles. Won't we need a lot of people to fill all of them and still have room for the mafia and innocents?

One more thing, how can the Grim Reaper ever win if it's only way of winning is wiping out all the mafiosos when there are no innocents? Won't the mafia have won already if there is no one left but them (and the Grim Reaper)?

Just needed clarification... :D

Edited by Frost

oh yeah... shplizizzit... I'll revise my rules

If the Grim Reaper is the one to kill the last civilian OR the last Mafioso, the Grim Reaper wins.

Also, anyone can PM me with a Grim Reaper Accusation- if they are correct, then the Grim Reaper dies instead of making a kill the next night (the Grim Reaper thinks he/she will make the kill, and doesn't know that he/she has been figured out)- but if the accuser is wrong, the Grim Reaper gets secretly informed of the accuser's identity before he PMs his next kill... so, in other words, the accuser finds out that night whether or not he/she was right in his accusation

as for complications, that's the point ;D most of the Special Roles are filled by Innocents, who still pretend to be Innocents. In fact, I think in some Mafia games, every Innocent has a secret role, but in this one, it'll only be about half or so, depending on the number of people that play

I might also add a set of Lovers, or Siblings, or whatnot, one Mafioso and one Innocent, where if one dies than the other dies too (they would both know that they are and who the other person is)

nvm what I just said- 12 is ideal but we can play with 8

that being said.... we only have 7 ;D

Host: Unreality

1) Kingofpain

2) Thuhchris

3) Frost

4) Itachi

5) Brandonb

6) grey cells

7) pieman

I guess we can play with 7 :D

I'll give everyone ONE MORE DAY to join, then we play with however many people we have ;D

Edited by unreality

Some tweaking of the rules:

There are three factions: Mafiosos and Innocents and the Grim Reaper

* Mafiosos know who the other Mafiosos are- the rest are all Innocents, except one Innocent is actually the Grim Reaper

* Innocents only know that they are an Innocent, they don't know about anyone else (at least at the start of the game)

* The Grim Reaper only knows who himself or herself is, but is unsure about everyone else

I (Unreality) am the Host- I am neither faction, but I oversee the game

In the beginning, everyone signs up to play, then I randomly pick Mafia members- there's always more Innocents than Mafiosos. I PM all the Mafiosos, telling them who ALL the Mafiosos are, then on this topic I post the total number of mafiosos, so that the Innocents know (but the Innocents do not know who among them are Mafia members). I also pick the Grim Reaper from among the Innocents

The game takes place in cycles of night and day.

* At night, the Mafiosos are allowed to PM each other to decide on a victim... then they all PM me on their choice- if there are differences, I take the majority vote. Also, during the night, the Doctor PMs me on one person he/she wants to save (it cannot be the Doctor), and if that person is chosen by the Mafia, they do not die!

Also, if it is an even-number night (2nd, 4th, etc), the Grim Reaper PMs me who he or she wants to exterminate that night (if this person was chosen by the Doctor, they survive)

* In the day, everyone still alive in the game speculates and discusses who they want to "lynch" (the Innocents want to lynch suspected Mafia members or the Grim Reaper). Once a majority consensus is reached, that person is written off the game as well. Remember, the Mafia members (secretly pretending to be Innocents) also vote who to lynch, so they can try to disrupt the vote and make the Innocents lynch one of their own.

* If the last person standing is an Innocent, the Innocents win.

* If the last person standing is a Mafioso, the Mafia wins

* The Grim Reaper wins if s/he kills off the last Innocent left OR the last Mafioso left, or if s/he kills the Inspector with proof that the person s/he is killing is the Inspector

Special Roles:

* The Doctor- I will secretly choose one Innocent to be the Doctor, who, every night, PMs me of one person they want to "save", which cannot be themselves. If this person is voted by the Mafia or chosen by the Grim Reaper that night, the person lives.

* The Traitor- I have deleted the Traitor's role! THERE IS NO TRAITOR!

* The Don- I have deleted the Don's role! THERE IS NO DON!

* The Martyr- another secret Innocent role. They can opt to, ONLY ONCE, and at any time, PM me with a suspected Mafioso. I reveal (to everyone) the role of this exposed person, but the Martyr DIES (thus everyone learns who the Martyr was, too). If I were the Martyr, only use this when you REALLY need to for your team, because the cost is your life

* The Inspector- a secret Innocent role that can, every other day (2nd day, 4th, etc) get PMed by me (until their first PM from me, they do not know they are the Inspector) the role of a Mafioso. However, the Inspector must be tricky and subtle, and not flash the information around, because if the Grim Reaper learns the identity of the Inspector, the Grim Reaper can win the game next night ;D

* The Ghost- the first person to die becomes the Ghost. The Ghost, at any time, can PM me with the name of one person, and that person's Special Role, if any, is revealed to the Ghost (not Mafia/Innocent role, but special role). What the Ghost chooses to do with this information is his or her own choice

GRIM REAPER ACCUSATIONS

Anyone can PM me anytime with a Grim Reaper accusation.

* If they were wrong: the Grim Reaper gets PMed immediately who made the accusation and who they accused (so oftentimes the person that made the wrong accusation pays with their life)

* If they are right: nobody finds out until the Grim Reaper's next kill, when, instead of making a kill, the accuser tracks the Grim Reaper and kills the Grim Reaper first

This is why the Grim Reaper tries to keep their identity secret

RULES

No outside contact! YOU CANNOT PM PEOPLE ABOUT THE GAME! This is the most important and ONLY rule in the entire game, and if anyone breaks it, they are never allowed to play Mafia ever ever ever again on this forum.

Edited by unreality