BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

An interesting paragraph.

Question

Study this paragraph and all things in it. What is vitally wrong with it? Actually, nothing in it is wrong, but you must admit that it is most unusual. Don't just zip through it quickly, but study it scrupulously. With luck you should spot what is so particular about it and all words found in it. Can you say what it is? Tax your brains and try again. Don't miss a word or a symbol. It isn't all that difficult?

At Es everyone

"Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honor got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby, walking towards that group, saw a young girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "

wasn't this origonally based from something to do with the great gatsby, i'm not up to date with all the american classics, although i've heard this is one read a lot in schools over there

Study this paragraph and all things in it. What is vitally wrong with it? Actually, nothing in it is wrong, but you must admit that it is most unusual. Don't just zip through it quickly, but study it scrupulously. With luck you should spot what is so particular about it and all words found in it. Can you say what it is? Tax your brains and try again. Don't miss a word or a symbol. It isn't all that difficult?

The paragraph is self-referential, entirely about itself. That is most unusual in a paragraph.

Good one!

Actually "J" isn't used either.

Look harder. But if there weren't any Js, it still wouldn't be "most unusual" given the length of the paragraph. It's the more common missing letter that makes it unusual.

Look harder. But if there weren't any Js, it still wouldn't be "most unusual" given the length of the paragraph. It's the more common missing letter that makes it unusual.

Oh I know that but he's saying every letter was used except E, but J wasn't used either. Was just correcting him. ;)

there are no 'e's

I know this is an old post and I know I'm new here, but aren't you supposed to hide your spoiler answers in a link, so as not to ruin the puzzle/riddle for others? Your answer was directly below the puzzle, no need to even scroll down to see it, and it ruined the puzzle for me.

I know this is an old post and I know I'm new here, but aren't you supposed to hide your spoiler answers in a link, so as not to ruin the puzzle/riddle for others? Your answer was directly below the puzzle, no need to even scroll down to see it, and it ruined the puzzle for me.

good point ... I have put the answer in spoiler

It contains all the letters of the alphabet.....