BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Trapped

Question

There is a room with no window's, doors, or any sort of opening, the walls are solid steel 10 feet thick, and you are trapped inside, left only with a saw and a table.

How do you escape? :huh: :huh:

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This fantasy logic problem where words have alternate meanings (usually related t homonyms)

You saw the table in half; but the two halves together; two halves make a whole (hole) and you crawl out through the hole.

Here is another one for you:

You only have a bat and a ball...what do you do?

Going back to the original puzzle, I would think it might be possible to climb on the table and cut a hole in the ceiling. The puzzle only states that the walls are solid steel 10 feet thick, not the ceiling or floor. If cutting a hole in the ceiling does not work, you could try the floor, but it is very likely that you are at ground level and may have to dig a bit.

I like comperr's solution and subsequent puzzles. I just took my approach due to another puzzle I have encountered. "How many sides does a sheet of paper have?"

There are really two valid answers, but each makes a statement about your perception.

If you say 2 sides, you have a fairly 2 dimensional view of the world.

If you say six sides, then you have a more three dimensional view of the world.

Of course, after hearing the puzzle, most people will answer 6 sides to any future inquisition.

I have to admit that my initial answer was just two sides.

Anyway, the relevance here is whether you consider the floor and ceiling as options or just the walls.

comperr: I am truly stuck on that one I can't think because there are so many possibitilties

but I suppose you could always click your heels three times and say, "There's no place like home", "There's no place like home", "There's no place like home".

Riddari: The cieling is too high for you to reach with the table, and try cutting through a steel floor with the ground underneeth it.

Nothing in the puzzle states that the floor or ceiling are made of steel. Not being able to reach the ceiling is a very real possibility, but more details on the room and table dimensions would be required to make that determination. Cutting through the floor may or may not be feasible, especially considering the high probability that you would need to dig a tunnel long enough to get outside the 10' steel walls. OF course, the guy in Shawshank Redemption did much more with much less. ;)

I read this puzzle in a book before and got an unusual answer when I asked someone else. They said yell once and if the walls are sound-proof, the yell would resonate and bounce around the room and eventually explode the room. I admit, I expected something like this, I thought he would make a "sound-bomb" - it works similarily. I expected this because he is a semi-scientist.

don't think so....sound proof =absorb sound; not resist sound.

But if you managed to build a device that moves at the resident frequency the matriel you can explode a room.

..resonant frequency of the material..

there, partially fixed that for you.

but there is still something wrong with that, Materials don't have resonant frequencies, Objects do. Two pieces of similar metal of different lengths have different resonant frequencies.

don't think so....sound proof =absorb sound; not resist sound.

But if you managed to build a device that moves at the resident frequency the matriel you can explode a room.

It doesn't state in the question that the room is sound proof, and if you did that wouldn't you explode also.

No, it doesn't actually "explode". The sound waves eventually bore holes and crumble the walls. Sound was used as a weapon in WW2, it destroyed whole buildings in minutes.