BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Brandonb

Question

This is the office, I sit and I wait

I'm not going anywhere, not at this rate.

I don't have a choice, I need to be here

Come on I'm waiting, call me this year.

When I get called for, it doesn't seem real

but my friend next to me, he knows the deal.

First I begin, I feel so far away

Then my friend next to me joins in the gray.

I flip through a magazine, and watch lives go by

like turning a page they look up at the sky.

If all goes well I may get a new heart

If I am quick, and if I am smart.

What am I?

22 answers to this question

This is the office, I sit and I wait

I'm not going anywhere, not at this rate.

I don't have a choice, I need to be here

Come on I'm waiting, call me this year.

When I get called for, it doesn't seem real

but my friend next to me, he knows the deal.

First I begin, I feel so far away

Then my friend next to me joins in the gray.

I flip through a magazine, and watch lives go by

like turning a page they look up at the sky.

What am I?

a kid in college?

I would have to guess.
I'm a person playing cards waiting for a heart to give me a good hand sitting next to the dealer.

It does kinda sound alot like a card game.

except it doesn't explain "I don't have a choice, I need to be here"

eh, you get (as itachi called it) 1/2 kudos for that one, it fits very well.

I can give a hint if needed

I know this isn't the answer, but still:

This is the office, I sit and I wait - easy

I'm not going anywhere, not at this rate. - never leaves the printer (except when changed or filled), even when it moves

I don't have a choice, I need to be here - printer need ink

Come on I'm waiting, call me this year. - it waits for you to call on it to work, "this year" means a long time I'm guessing,but it also means this year.

When I get called for, it doesn't seem real - the image it prints isn't the real thing

but my friend next to me, he knows the deal. - there's usually another cartridge, one black and one color

First I begin, I feel so far away - starts at the top of the page, could feel far from the bottom, especially if it's a slow printer

Then my friend next to me joins in the gray. - the other cartridge joins it to make gray

I flip through a magazine, and watch lives go by - a magazine of paper in the printer (like a magazine in a gun, I actually think the term magazine is used for a pile of paper put into a printer sometimes), the lives are tree lives

like turning a page they look up at the sky. - the pages turn up-side down while in the printer and the cartridge "watches" them face up toward the sky

If all goes well I may get a new heart - if the cartridge is functional it will be all used up and then can get a refill = new heart

If I am quick, and if I am smart. hopefully it's in a quick and smart machine, then it will get used a lot

Had to defend that one ;)

Had to defend that one ;)

I know this isn't the answer, but still:

This is the office, I sit and I wait - easy

I'm not going anywhere, not at this rate. - never leaves the printer (except when changed or filled), even when it moves

I don't have a choice, I need to be here - printer need ink

Come on I'm waiting, call me this year. - it waits for you to call on it to work, "this year" means a long time I'm guessing,but it also means this year.

When I get called for, it doesn't seem real - the image it prints isn't the real thing

but my friend next to me, he knows the deal. - there's usually another cartridge, one black and one color

First I begin, I feel so far away - starts at the top of the page, could feel far from the bottom, especially if it's a slow printer

Then my friend next to me joins in the gray. - the other cartridge joins it to make gray

I flip through a magazine, and watch lives go by - a magazine of paper in the printer (like a magazine in a gun, I actually think the term magazine is used for a pile of paper put into a printer sometimes), the lives are tree lives

like turning a page they look up at the sky. - the pages turn up-side down while in the printer and the cartridge "watches" them face up toward the sky

If all goes well I may get a new heart - if the cartridge is functional it will be all used up and then can get a refill = new heart

If I am quick, and if I am smart. hopefully it's in a quick and smart machine, then it will get used a lot

Oh man, not bad not bad. Ok, 1/2 to that explanation.

not just because it was a good answer, but because part of it was on the right track for the real answer. :excl:

maybe?

soldier in the reserves?

the heart being a purple heart...

You got it! you get the Kudos Steve :lol:

Not that there weren't other great answers that suited the OS very well. I need to figure out how to make these things air tight and bullet proof like some other members can (Itachi).

A purple heart is received for being injured in battle. I wouldn't necessarily call that going well. Nor does one need to be particularly quick or smart to receive one.

I do like the idea of the riddle, though. Had me thinking for a while.