BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Suggestion

Question

When new puzzles are set, if you wish to view a puzzle, you are automatically shown the puzzle and all the solutions as-well. It would be better, if possible, to go to a page that just has the puzzle, then give an option to see all solutions / posts once you have had time to study the problem.

8 answers to this question

should be up to each visitor ... resist the temptation and think for a while ... without looking at solution (which is on the same page) ... I guess you could post a topic with puzzle (lock it) and then post another topic with solution and discussion (which will be linked from the original puzzle topic) ... but to me it seems much easier to have it all on 1 page and not reading the solution too soon

There is a spoiler BBCode that you could make in the admin panel if you want that would allow you to hide the answers. Sometimes I see the answer when I do not want to.

The solution only adds up to 14 minutes. Please explain?

Sand-glass II. - Back to the Water and Weighing Puzzles

A teacher of mathematics used an unconventional method to measure time for a test lasting 15 minutes. He used just a sand-glass, which spills in 7 minutes and a second sand-glass, which spills in 11 minutes. During the whole time he turned sand-glasses only 3 times. Explain how the teacher measured 15 minutes.

Spoiler for Solution:

Sand-Glass II. - solution

When the test began, the teacher turned both 7min and 11min sand-glasses. After the 7min one spilt its last grain, he turned it upside down (the 11min one is still to spill sand for another 4 minutes). When the 11min sand-glass was spilt, he turned the 7min one upside down for the last time. And that’s it.

The reader should be knowing to this, after merely one time. If the reader does not wish to see the answer, he can simply stop scrolling down when he is finished reading the puzzle. If the reader wishes to see, than he may see the answer. Why is this difficult?

To Admin:

I really appreciate what you've put together and that there are no advertisements!

All the riddles are great for summer camp and I often show new optical illusions to my fellow art students. My only suggestion is that you organize the text a little better... maybe if you choose a certain general font???.... I like "Tahoma" myself, but anything easy to read would be a nice touch!

I would also set up the menu on the home page so that it appears on every page (including forums) and that you make a special colored or design backround - for a real "signature" look!

Tkz 4 good laughs, confused craniums, and fascinating concepts!!!

love always,

~Elli~

To Admin:

I really appreciate what you've put together and that there are no advertisements!

All the riddles are great for summer camp and I often show new optical illusions to my fellow art students. My only suggestion is that you organize the text a little better... maybe if you choose a certain general font???.... I like "Tahoma" myself, but anything easy to read would be a nice touch!

I would also set up the menu on the home page so that it appears on every page (including forums) and that you make a special colored or design backround - for a real "signature" look!

Tkz 4 good laughs, confused craniums, and fascinating concepts!!!

love always,

~Elli~

thanks for the suggestions ...

re advertisements - I might test some ads in the future (just to see if it has more pros than cons)

re font - I think the current fonts are easy to read ... which part in particular was hard to read for you?

re left menu on forum - I thought about it when setting up this forum and decided not to include forum in the layout of other pages (there are several reasons for that) ... but if there is enough people would want that I might reconsider my opinion

re special background - send a link to phpbb css file that you like (that's where the look of this forum is defined) ... check http://www.phpbb.com/styles/db/

if you have any other comments, just let me know