BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

3 possible solutions for #1, that let the invincible conditions stay

1) Both would shatter; Probably not, in fact the bullet does not pierce the barrier

2)Time would end; Saying the world works as a computer, "Fatal Error"

3)Time would reverse, to avoid the invincible objects from meet.

What is the most probable?

We're lucky we don't have "multible"invincible objects...

5. That depends entirely on the the way the temperature is measured, i.e. Kelvin, Fahrenheit, Celsius.

Convert to another measurement, double that number, and then convert back.

7. If you are in a car going 60mph and then you throw a baseball at 30mph, then the speed of the baseball is equal to the speed of both car and throw (90mph). However, Einstein theorized that nothing can possibly travel faster than light. In other words, if you turned on a flashlight and ran at 10mph with it, the light from the flashlight would NOT be traveling at 10mph+the speed of light. If you consider Einstein to be correct, then the light will not be able to leave the bulbs of the car's headlights. However, scientists have been able to make photons move faster than the speed of light in the form of waves. In theory, if the light was somehow converted into waves, it could travel ahead of the car at a speed greater than that of the speed of light.

8. Depending of the religious philosopher you look at, you will get varying answers. Some philosophers would tell you that God is above contradictions. He can make 2+2=5. Therefore, he can make a stone he cannot lift, and yet still be able to lift it. Other philosophers would tell you that God is bound by logic, and could not create a stone too big for even himself.

Seeing as there are 36 pages already, I don't know if anyone already brought this out. In The Dark Knight , near the end, the Joker says to Batman "This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object", referring to himself as the unstoppable force because, not fearing anything, nothing will stop him, and Batman refuses to kill him. Batman is the immovable object because he's impossible to corrupt (or he won't kill anyone). So they are forever locked in combat, each refusing to stop, but also unwilling to permanently stop each other. Make sense? Probably not.

The answer is: Wait until one of the actors die, thus making it impossible to make a sequel!

Another paradox (similar to #8, but not quite the same): God has the power to do anything, so can he create an object that is impossible for him to destroy?

Okay, I'm done with ranting. Your turn.

• 2 weeks later...
Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

For number 8, He CAN pick it up. HE doesn't have to

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

These two objects cannot exist in the same plane of existance. Similar to how something that makes everything around it die instantly vs a man with eternal life.

No. But he may enter a coma-like state due to lack of oxygen (this is if the fountain does not give an instant-heal ability).

I decline. I therefore fulfill the mission and complete it without ever taking it up. If this was in a computer game I may not get credit, but I would have completed the mission.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

Whenever a choice is made, the universe splits. If she went back into the past, that's a choice. Split. Whatever she does in that universe does not affect the original universe she came from.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

0 degrees kelvin? Fahrenheit? Celcius? PS: Like myself, the weatherman knows that "twice as hot/cold" is a stupid statement, and instead uses "20 degrees hotter" and things.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

Nope.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

You see no light.

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

Yes. God (aka omnipotent being) is the creator of all. Therefore he created logic. God is not bound by his own creations (logic) and so can either disregard or change his own rules. God can lift the rock.

There are 3 ways that are possible.

1. When we go back in time to kill our grandmother we will open up a parallel universe that is exactly as ours except our Grandma is dead. ( Micho Kaku Physics of the Impossible reference)

2. You are actually fulfilling the past/ future.

3. there is this mysterious force that blocks your hand to kill your grandmother.

This is the same to the mysterious law that prevents us to go past the speed of light. and to walk on the ceiling. (even without gravity or with magnets).

#4 -- Paradoxes give me great joy; yet all time travel paradoxes leave me cold. Why? Because there is currently no promising theory or technology that will accomplish it. There are so many amazing paradoxes that populate the real world that I don't see any need to contemplate ones that apparently don't.

On the other hand, let's assume that time travel does exist. If so, then we are faced with the equivalent of Fermi's Paradox (whoa! I just searched BD and didn't find that mentioned anywhere!) Bottom line: any form of time travel that is possible must already be manifest in our world. So its effects are factored in to our reality; yet they seem to be so well hidden or deeply embedded that we don't recognize them as effects of time travel at all. Get back to me when you have some evidence that somebody in the real world can actually go back in time and do anything of consequence.

On the other other hand, I'm actively posting on the "Other" board in the thread "Is there a spiritual world?" From my perspective spirits (my own included) exist outside of time and are, in that sense, eternal. This would imply that I can have some influence at any time in the past or future; if so, as I just posited, such effects have to be deeply embedded and not (yet) explicitly recognized by any controlled scientific experiment.

[spoiler='Awesome!!

can't think now...']#3.. don't accept.

#4.. I assume girl goes in past with her present existence.. so if she goes back in past n if she can come back in present then whatever she does in past can not destroy her present existence.

Edited by Archana Khedkar

for no 1, i think they both will warp away, as none of them can deafeat the other. that or the bullet will hit the shield and make a hole, and then a space/time warp causes the shield to "heal". that OR the bullet will bounce back, and a space/time warp causes a hole to form in the shield...

#7 is a Steven Wright joke. I asked my chemistry teacher about it and he said, because of relativity, your headlights would turn on, as normal, and the light would come out at twice the speed of light.

However, the question is impossible anyways, because for something to go the speed of light, ALL of it's mass must be converted to energy. The spaceship wouldn't even exist anymore.

why would it have to be converted to energy?There is no atmosphere in outer space,so therefore, no friction.So if you speed the ship up to the speed of light gradually,it should hold it's shape.

HELL no!!!

PS: there is this guy who is experimenting with the "e=mc^2" relativity. He's making this machine that bends light in such a way that... warps space... idk but he says by 10 years from now he'll have something.

Simple. the armour would break and so would the bullet. :duh:

1) all reality would be shattered into pieces smaller and more numerous than the grains of sand in the world...jk, I think the bullet would go halfway through

2) well if the fountain only covers age then yes

3) nope, if my mission is to not accept that mission then my mission is a complete success! :lol:

4) Also if she goes back in time for the sole purpose of killing her grandma then she would have no purpose for killing her grandma since she would already be gone, she would have to kill her accidentally, but this is if the lady isn't really related to her.

5) that depends...where are you? are you American in a different country? or visa versa? well either way i wouldn't know...

6)here is my answer: nope :P

7) light would pool in the headlights and a bystander would see a line of light going by that would appear instantaniously.

8) well let me put it this way, God could make a sandwich that even he couldn't finish, and finish the sandwich anyway

well that's what i have to say anyway :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the 0 degrees paradox can be figured out.

Degrees Celcius/Fahrenheit aren't very well based. 0 degrees Fahrenheit signifies, well, nothing. And in Celsius, it is when water freezes. If the temperature was converted to Kelvins, where 0 degrees is known as absolute zero (when all molecules stop moving) then it can be figured out.

Since zero in Kelvins is the lowest temperature that can exist, and there are no negatives, twice as cold can always be calculated.

0 degrees Celcius is 273.15 degrees in Kelvin, half of which is 136.575

0 degrees Fahrenheit is 255.37 in Kelvin, half is 127.685

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?-----The universe would implode upon itself.

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?-------some would say to get eternal life you must die, so sure.

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?------I would say, so your saying I can't kill anyone?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.-------the instant her grandmother dies, she will cease to exist, and will disappear, and in the process Time itself will begin to go backwards and the Universe will begin to contract.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?-------probably still pretty cold.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?-------sure.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?------my battery would probably die.

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!-------sounds like he needs to hit the gym and pump some iron.

#1: Well I may not be the smartest person here but I think that the bullet would go through the armor. As Murphy's Law clearly states; If ANYTHING can go wrong, it will. Even an idiot-proof *insert random thing here* can be damaged/broken by the most ingenious of idiots.

Ok, so lets try to get some crazy points of view, crazy enough to (hypothetically) "shake" your sentences:

1 - I guess that would depend on the especific objects' specifications (ex:bullet travelling speed, or how de armor reacts to bullets), but I'd risk saying that for "standard objects" neither thing would happen: the bullet could hit it, and "semi-penetrate" it (I mean, damage it), and the armor would get "penetrated", yes, but still "block" the bullet. Lets hope this is acceptable... :rolleyes: The other option I think could be true was a "relatively big" explosion, like if it was anti-matter... ;) . There's even other thing I can think of, which would be they both would break/disentegrate. ;)

2 - Possibly you wouldn't drown, because whatever the fountain dropped, as it wouldn't be water, would have a composition which hipothetically would be composed only of "healthy-and-non-drownable" stuff. Crazy enough? ;)

3 - No, you don't accept, and you've completed it already! (Kind of contradictory still, though, but a honourable souldier would do any mission ;) ). Other way is to, before you say it, say you'll accept any mission given to you. Then, when someone asks you it, you say no, and you've got it solved.

4 - I guess a time loop would happen, if so is possible, I mean, step by step, children goes back, kills grandmother, children doen't exist, grandmother wasn't killed, grandmother exists again, children is born again, children kills grandma again, and so on...

5 - For this you use other units: as 0ºC(assuming these were yours, otherwise, simply transfer to other unit)=32ºF, 32ºF/2=16ºF, and, going back to Celsius, 16ºF=-8.88ºC, so that's the temperature tomorrow.

6 - "Yes, it will, but only after I finish this sentence: no". Kinda works no? Hope so...

7 - I guess the headlights would have no effect, as they would only go at the same speed the car, so, wherever the car was, so were the lights, and only and exclusively there. But then again, this is a hard concept to deal with... I guess we will only have a definitive answer when we are in ways to "pratically" test it...

8 - This is a famous paradox by Bertrand Russel, if I'm not mistaken, which only shows there can't be a God capable of EVERYTHING, but I guess he would still be able to care of our everyday needs, heh? ;)

Lets hope all this writing was worth it, but if you have any ideas against my theory, let them in, and I'll think of something else!... ;)

Edited by Amazong

3 possible solutions for #1, that let the invincible conditions stay

1) Both would shatter; Probably not, in fact the bullet does not pierce the barrier

2)Time would end; Saying the world works as a computer, "Fatal Error"

3)Time would reverse, to avoid the invincible objects from meet.

What is the most probable?

We're lucky we don't have "multible"invincible objects...

I like your ideas mate, and I personally favor 2 (while thanking the same you did ;) ), because, i don't think time would "self-reverse" because of it (though we'd want it to :P ), and your 1st, although likely, seems to be missing something (don't ask me what... :s ).

Besides, the 2nd has more action :P xD

Edited by Amazong

to #1 interestingly there is a chinese proverb that goes something along those lines where a weapons sellers tells people that his lance can pierce any shield and that his shield can deflect the blow of any lance. Then someone asked him what would happen when the lance struck the shield?

The obvious answer is that one would break and lose its falsified name simple as that.

These are not Paradoxes but finely tuned puzzles that, once solved will bestow the answerer with the magical powers beyond their wildest dreams. So here is my shot at answering these so-called paradoxes:

knock you down or better yet transfer all of its momentum into you and the armor plastering you against the nearest wall. While shaken and out of breath you will be surprised to find both the bullet and the armor quite intact and functional! (well at least that is what happens to me when ever I shoot this type of bullet at this type of armor...except once when the bullet was supposed to be the special shoot through any barrier type but actually ended up being the shoot through almost any barrier type and it turned to powder when it hit the armor)

strangely enough a fish can.

maybe.

fool me. From the moment that you when back in you would be initiating a new branch of the multiverse so what ever you do it would not jeopardize your current existence.

on whether it is zero in Fahrenheit or Celsius. If it is Fahrenheit then 0 degrees is 273.15 Kelvins. Twice as cold is the same thing as half as warm. So logically the temperature tomorrow would be 136.575 Kelvins. If it was 0 degrees Celsius then today it would be 255.37222...Kelvins and tomorrow it would be 127.686111...Kelvins.

no.

(The next word I said was "Uhm")

That you can never go the speed of light. But let's say for tha sake of argument that you are going 99.999999999% the speed of light and you turn you headlights on. You would measure the speed of the light coming out of your headlights as the speed of light and out side observes watching you would also measure the light from your headlights as the speed of light, also. In order to resolve this paradox, you would see the outside observer moving incredibly fast (99.999999999% the speed of light) and they would see you as practically still. That relativity, baby!

Let me answer this paradox/riddle with another paradox/riddle:

The universe certainly exists.

If GOD exists then he created the universe.

GOD is all powerful.

GOD could create the universe no matter what obstacle or handicap that we would assign to him.

In fact the more powerful GOD is the greater the handicap we can assign with no ill effect felt by GOD.

The greatest handicap of all would be the lack of existence.

GOD is so powerful that he/she/it was able to create the universe even though he/she/it did not exist.

poof...looks around

Is it still here? Phew that was a close one. :ph34r:

#7...i think its all wrong..relativity dosent affect speed of light..actually...... the light will still look at the same speed to you(in the car ) and the bystander outside the car...however they will be seeing it at different frequencies...hence different colours( if it still lies in visiblity range).......and thats correct

#7...i think its all wrong..relativity dosent affect speed of light..actually...... the light will still look at the same speed to you(in the car ) and the bystander outside the car...however they will be seeing it at different frequencies...hence different colours( if it still lies in visiblity range).......and thats correct

You must be kidding. Relativity has everything to do with the speed of light.

The light will always be the same speed no matter who measures it but the different relative speeds of the car and the observer would make time slow down for the person in the car. That is how you account for the sameness of the measured speed of light in multiple reference frames.

The frequency shift that you are talking about would also happen but not how you describe. As the car approaches you it would be "blue-shifted" to you. As it moves away from you it would be "red-shifted". It would appear unchanged from the point of view of the car.

Edited by hugemonkey