BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ship Ladder

rookie1ja

• 1 month later...
I think that saying #8 is third from the top is true. We're saying it's the 3rd rung from the top, not the 3rd rung from the top rung. Likewise, #3 would be the 3rd from the ground, but only the 2nd from the bottom rung, even though we agree it doesn't matter in this puzzle.

The Top is the Top Rung. So the third from the top is the 7th tave. The math is 8 hours. But that is not the correct solution as stated by many others.

• 4 weeks later...

It says the boat is anchored, but it doesn't say where or how. Some boats, when at dock, don't drop anchor. They use ropes to connect the boat to the dock, which would be floating in the water (or high enough to avoid a high tide), so even if 'anchored' to the dock, nothing would be holding the boat down. I know this is how it's usually done for small boats (canoes, etc, too small for a heavy anchor) and medium-sized boats (my ex-stepdad's 34' yacht), but neither of them could have a 6' vertical ladder, so I don't know if large boats like schooners or battleships drop anchor at dock. It seems to me that if the dock isn't going anywhere (it usually isn't) then neither is the boat if the boat is tied to it.

Just my two cents ^_^ Great riddle, by the way. Almost got me thinking back to freshman physics, before I remembered sophomore physics :P

Edited by Freerefill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok first of all you got me. And so the math I did is irrelevant, but since others worked it out too, I am confused as to how you got to the answer of 10 hours 40 minutes to reach the 8th stave. As I did the math, the ladder is 180 cm long and the distance between staves is 20 cm. 180 / 20 = 9 staves. So if we are trying to get the the third from the top our target stave would be number seven not number eight.

If the above math is correct then the target height is 120 cm (remeber the number 1 stave is at 0 cm not at 20 cm)

If the target height is 120 cm and the tide rises at 15 cm per hour then it would take eight hours to reach the number seven stave (120/15).

Just assume the tide rises and the boat doesn't is my math faulty?

it would still be the eight tave because it is 180/20 =9 but you forgot to add the extra tave at the water which would make it 10 taves total so the target tave would be the 8th tave, and thus, making the target height 140 cm which would then make the answer 9hours and 20 minutes: 140/15=9 1/3. but this is still wrong because the boat would rise with the water so the water would stay with the first tave

Edited by minkus111

to all the people arguing about which tave is third from the top let me ask this - which tave is second from the top? because in my opinion, looking at the diagram in question, the second tave from the top is number 9. which would make the third from the top number 8.

Ship Ladder - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A ship anchored in a port has a ladder (beginning and ending with a tave), where the bottom tave touches the water. The distance between taves is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the speed of 15 cm each hour.

When will the water be on the third tave from the top?

Ship Ladder - solution

If the tide is raising water, then it is raising the ship on water, too. So water will reach still the first rung.

Time to get a new ladder.

Ship is anchored to the sea bed. One assumption only- no slack in the anchor.

6 intervals from the initial water line to the third tave- times 20 cm = 120 cm- that divided by 15/cm per hour is 8 hours until the third tave is reached.

what is a tave?

funny - this word has been bugging me for ages - so far as it is not on google as far as I am able to see.

Why not PM admin if you really need to clarify, or put it in as a topic.

Not in my old oxford dictionary either!

LIS

funny - this word has been bugging me for ages - so far as it is not on google as far as I am able to see.

Why not PM admin if you really need to clarify, or put it in as a topic.

Not in my old oxford dictionary either!

LIS

well spotted, even I can not find "tave" in dictionary :lol: ... no idea where I saw it ... I have probably made it up :P

anyway, I meant rungs

So with a Rung at the top and bottom - I have 10 rungs/taves. The third rung from the top is 60 cm down. Therefore the water needs to come up 120 cm. Rising at 15 cm/hr... I get 8 hours.

The only "sticky" part I felt was determining 3rd from the top. So I felt the top was the top. Counting 3 down from there... with 20 cm between each. :blush:

So with a Rung at the top and bottom - I have 10 rungs/taves. The third rung from the top is 60 cm down. Therefore the water needs to come up 120 cm. Rising at 15 cm/hr... I get 8 hours.

The only "sticky" part I felt was determining 3rd from the top. So I felt the top was the top. Counting 3 down from there... with 20 cm between each. :blush:

*** OK I feel really dumb now... I should have known when the math was so simple.... DUHHHHH ***** Dont tell my Dad -- he's in the Navy! hahaha

well spotted, even I can not find "tave" in dictionary :lol: ... no idea where I saw it ... I have probably made it up :P

anyway, I meant rungs

My thought - may be to do with octave etc, lines on sheet music La,la.LA!

Possibly from an old poem - i have looked all over, Including Oh captain my captain... nor the Rime of the Ancient mariner

edit for rung looks good - hope to fin tave somewhere other than t'ave (to have)

*** OK I feel really dumb now... I should have known when the math was so simple.... DUHHHHH ***** Dont tell my Dad -- he's in the Navy! hahaha

Ask your dad about taves please - I'm having a migrain researching.

• 3 weeks later...

Clearly the answer is never as the ship would float with the tide. But for all you nitpickers who would argue the anchor somehow would prevent the ship from floating just to justify your math, you have made another error. From slack-tide to slack-tide (thats high-tide to low-tide or vice versa for you land lubbers) the elapsed time is under six hours [where I live, and I don't know it to be sufficiently longer elsewhere.] So if the rate of tide rise as given in puzzle is constant [and you all have assumded so in your math,] then the correct answers is still never. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another classic. As long as the ship is floating and no other factors are involved (such as loading nthe ship) then the ship will simply rise with the tide and there will e no change in the number of rungs in or out of the water.

A ship anchored in a port has a ladder (beginning and ending with a tave), where the bottom tave touches the water. The distance between taves is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the speed of 15 cm each hour.

seeing that the question is asking when, not if...

The water will be on the third tave/rung from the top when the ladder falls off!!

seeing that the question is asking when, not if...

Right, so the answer is either never, or when the ladder falls off the ship as Poore-k said.

I agree that the answer is never, but for those of you that have done the math - No one ever accounted for the width of the rungs. It never said how wide the rungs are so I would disagree that you can even come up with 10 rungs on a ladder that size. It says 20 cm between rungs, not from the center of the rungs. I argue you cannot mathmatically solve this puzzle without that information anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The captain of a big ship was telling this interesting story: "Once I saw two marines standing on the opposite sides of the ship. One was looking to the west and the other one to the east. And they saw each other very well."

How can that be possible?

<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px">

<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Spoiler for Solution: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:45px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">

</div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;">Ship Ladder - solution

If the tide is raising water, then it is raising the ship on water, too. So water will reach still the first rung.</div></div></div>

<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px">

<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Spoiler for old wording: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:45px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">

</div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;">A ship anchored in a port has a ladder (beginning and ending with a tave), where the bottom tave touches the water. The distance between taves is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the speed of 15 cm each hour.

Edit: tave = rung</div></div></div>

Something is wrong with this topic, I read the question as... (The captain of a big ship was telling this interesting story: "Once I saw two marines standing on the opposite sides of the ship. One was looking to the west and the other one to the east. And they saw each other very well."

How can that be possible?)

But the answer is for a different riddle