BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Scales

rookie1ja

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The only way for the first Solution to work is for the bottom match of the right scale to not be moved and become the right part of the balance beam. If you just move all the matches on the right side downward to straighten out the balance beam then you have moved a total of 6 matches and are over the 5 matches set in the puzzle.

The second solution would only work if asked to only move one match, but I found it funny nevertheless lol.

• 3 weeks later...

yay!untitled.GIF[/attachment:1985a]

i guess this technically isn't the same 'scale' since the design is a little different but i was proud of myself nonetheless and if you're wondering why the matchsticks are mirrored it's because that's how i edited the picture, it has no relevance to the actual solution

post-636-1183479721_thumbgif

• 3 weeks later...

Why is there no gap between the two balance arms in the first solution? I know the left arm would swing out in a slight arc as it comes down, but does it really go far enough to the right to make this work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the answer given by the by the questioner he moved six not five. The only one that looks right to me is the one that has the bent bar.

.........|

....../....

..../_ /_

well in order to really balance them, you'd only need 3.

This works, because of the way the matches were originally setup. Otherwise it may take 4 (to completely move the second basket to look like the first). Technically his answer is more correct, because it's look more like it follows the laws of gravity, but hey, at least mines balanced and yes it's done in less than 4 moves.

post-2267-1192127301_thumbgif

• 5 weeks later...

First, this site is awesome.

Second, I can fix it in three matches. :-D I'm nowhere that I can post an image right now, unfortunately, but I can explain it pretty easily...

(1 & 2) In the "right" weight", grab the flat match on the bottom & the match that slopes bottom-left-to-top-right; mirror them around the 3rd side of this weight, like it's an axis of reflection. This leaves you with a weight that looks like the left triangle but upside-down.

(3) Take a hold of the fulcrum-point match (the top one); leaving the bottom end of this match nailed down, rotate the match to the left about... whatever that comes out to... 30 degrees or so.

You now have a balanced scale which you are viewing with your head tilted slightly to the right of vertical.

...I'll try to remember to post a picture later.

• 2 weeks later...
The only way for the first Solution to work is for the bottom match of the right scale to not be moved and become the right part of the balance beam. If you just move all the matches on the right side downward to straighten out the balance beam then you have moved a total of 6 matches and are over the 5 matches set in the puzzle.

The second solution would only work if asked to only move one match, but I found it funny nevertheless lol.

Then move it 5 times...

• 2 weeks later...

whoever said the admin was wrong cuz he used 6 matches...your retarded...and thats coming from me who aint the brightest object in the kitchen

if you'd look and see, he does in fact only move 5

• 3 weeks later...
whoever said the admin was wrong cuz he used 6 matches...your retarded...and thats coming from me who aint the brightest object in the kitchen

if you'd look and see, he does in fact only move 5

Killswitch, I agree. Well, at least with the part about the admin being correct. He did only move 5 matches.

• 4 weeks later...

i believe the scale was balanced to begin with. its all about perception(like all of life). my chosen vantage is just in front of and above the left arm. so, i made them balance without moving any matches

hey how about thinking that you do not change the position of even a single matchstick and turn your mind to think that the scale is in a 3D view and is already balanced!!! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
yay!<!-- ia0 -->untitled.GIF<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:1985a]

i guess this technically isn't the same 'scale' since the design is a little different but i was proud of myself nonetheless <!-- s:) --><!-- s:) --> and if you're wondering why the matchsticks are mirrored it's because that's how i edited the picture, it has no relevance to the actual solution

Here is a solution with 5 active moves: flatten the bar by pushing the vertical, central match down.

• 3 weeks later...