BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

No. 4

No. 4 - Back to the Cryptograms and Algebra Puzzles

Replace the same characters by the same numerals so that the mathematical operations are correct.

SEND

MORE

---------

MONEY

This old topic is locked since solution is already provided in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

No. 4 - solution

9567 + 1085 = 10652

• 1 month later...

I created a brute-force algorithm to quickly test every possible combination, and I came up with a couple things.

Assuming leading zeroes aren't allowed and two letters can't represent the same number, you have the only correct answer. However, allowing non-unique letter values gives 155 possible answers (such as "9000 + 1000 = 10000"), allowing leading zeroes gives 25 possible combinations (such as "8324 + 0913 = 09237"), and allowing both gives 1155 possible combinations (such as "0000 + 0000 = 00000").

Is there some place that states these rules have to be followed?

• 1 month later...

I agree with fosley.

I love these types of puzzles, and so I understand the rules. However, the way you have them worded here kind of leaves room for "interpretation". Maybe something like:

For each puzzle, replace each letter with one of the numerals 0 through 9 so that the resulting mathematical operations stand true.  There can be no leading zeroes in any part of an equation.  Within a given puzzle, every instance of a given letter will represent the same numeral, and each numeral will be represented by at most one letter (not all numerals will appear in every puzzle).

It just makes the rules a little clearer for those that have never worked this type of puzzle before.

By the way, this puzzle in particular as a good one. The E was the most difficult part to solve.

Great work, and I look forward to working on more!

Mike.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

how u are assigning the numbers to alphabet.I dint get it.can anyone help me

Assigning the numbers is the challenge.

Basically you look at it from each letter represents a number 0-9. A and B for instance cannot both be the same number though, which is why they are different letters in the teaser. So you have to determine based on using the same numbers where the same letters are, which numbers make the statement true.

So for this example, if you tried to use 4 in the "e" slot from

SEND

+MORE

-----

MONEY

You would start with

S4ND

+MOR4

-----

MON4Y

And none of the other letters can be 4.

Edited by jerew

• 2 months later...

I found a second solution. The second solution is possible I think because all the digits aren't used I guess..

______

Assigning the numbers is the challenge.

Basically you look at it from each letter represents a number 0-9. A and B for instance cannot both be the same number though, which is why they are different letters in the teaser. So you have to determine based on using the same numbers where the same letters are, which numbers make the statement true.

So for this example, if you tried to use 4 in the "e" slot from

SEND

+MORE

-----

MONEY

You would start with

S4ND

+MOR4

-----

MON4Y

And none of the other letters can be 4.

• 7 months later...

I found a second solution. The second solution is possible I think because all the digits aren't used I guess..

______

You can't have the one for both Y and M.