BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Classic puzzle: .9999..... AND 1

BMAD

Question

11 answers to this question

hmm. there's a mathematician on youtube, norm wildberger, whom i kinda like who would disagree.

the problem being that we cant actually "know" infinity. try writing infinite 9's. you can't.

so at best we can say 0.9999999 or wherever you care to stop approximately equals 1.

to prove this point, accurately calculate pi +e +sqrt(2). if you're being honest, you would calculate it as pi + e +sqrt(2).

hmm. there's a mathematician on youtube, norm wildberger, whom i kinda like who would disagree.

the problem being that we cant actually "know" infinity. try writing infinite 9's. you can't.

so at best we can say 0.9999999 or wherever you care to stop approximately equals 1.

to prove this point, accurately calculate pi +e +sqrt(2). if you're being honest, you would calculate it as pi + e +sqrt(2).

The notation convention 0.999 ... denotes an endless string of 9's.

You can't write the decimal representation of 1/3, but you can write 0.333 ...,

Thus, given the meaning of that notation, one can meaningfully write 1/3 = 0.333 ...

Similarly one can meaningfully write 1 = 0.999 ...

well, not entirely sure i agree. for example, how would you denote 1/13?

you need a consistent way of denoting any rational number, not just ones that repeat the last digit.

personally, i like the bar method, where the repeated values have a bar over the top over the length of the repeating part.

so

_
0.9 = 1

would be more accurate (although more cumbersome.)

you need a consistent way of denoting any rational number, not just ones that repeat the last digit.

personally, i like the bar method, where the repeated values have a bar over the top over the length of the repeating part.

so

_
0.9 = 1

______

1/13 = 0.076923

The bar covers the part that repeats.

here's my challenge for you.

accurately add 1/13 to 45/89 in decimal representation.

This can be done, but would be rather tedious (particularly as the decimal expansion for 45/89 has a relatively long repeating digit string). The sum will also have a repeating pattern, of some size less than or equal to the LCM of the repeating digit string lengths of the two operands.

so

_
0.9 = 1

I might have missed the gist of this question the first time around...

Another way to express 1/13 is 0.076923076923076923...

It is clumsy compared with the bar method in this example (unlike .999...), but still understandable.