BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This is a really old one..

House A owns a cockerel. However, it leaps over the fence and lays its eggs in the garden of House B. Now, House B has some eggs that came from House A's cockerel. So, who keeps the eggs?

21 answers to this question

House A owns a cockerel. However, it leaps over the fence and lays its eggs in the garden of House B. Now, House B has some eggs that came from House A's cockerel. So, who keeps the eggs?

I think this is already posted.

Does a male counterpart of a hen lay eggs??? :)

Edited by grey cells

I wouldn't know. I joined yesterday, so...

You got it. All cockerels are males = no eggs

Ok , StAnArchic. Welcome to the den(favourite line for welcoming new members ;) )

From now onwards if you are doubtful of any puzzle being posted already , use the search engine.

And anyway , not sure this puzzle is already posted on this forum. :)

Edited by grey cells

The question isn't asking whether or not they can lay eggs. It states explicitly that it did. So the question is who gets to keep the eggs it laid?

It's a trick question. Kind of like the old "Where do they bury the survivors?" thing. It isn't meant to be answered properly.

The question isn't asking whether or not they can lay eggs. It states explicitly that it did. So the question is who gets to keep the eggs it laid?

This is a puzzle , I agree. But one cannot make the impossible possible , like stating that a man can give birth to a baby.

That is completely illogical. And I guess this is given to test one's lateral thinking , i.e. , out-of-box thinking. :)

Edited by grey cells

I agree with Noct. The OP clearly states that the cockerel lays eggs. Whether it can by definition or not is irrelevant to the answer which is that the neighbors will have to make an agreement (friendly or formal) and follow whatever they decide. Maybe it's a hermaphrodite? :o

I agree with Noct. The OP clearly states that the cockerel lays eggs. Whether it can by definition or not is irrelevant to the answer which is that the neighbors will have to make an agreement (friendly or formal) and follow whatever they decide. Maybe it's a hermaphrodite? :o

Sorry . But I do not agree . Before coming to the question one has to look at the logic.If the logic fails , then there is no question of a question being raised. In this OP the question is merely a distraction and distractions are part and parcel of any puzzle. :mellow:

Re-phrase for clarity:

House A owns a cockerel. If it were to leap over the fence and lay eggs in House B's garden, who would keep the eggs?

Make any more sense?

Re-phrase for clarity:

House A owns a cockerel. If it were to leap over the fence and lay eggs in House B's garden, who would keep the eggs?

Make any more sense?

Thanks StAnArchic . But still the question cannot be completely removed. So you cannot satisfy Noct (Or) Itachi-san.

The puzzle is correct . So no need to re-phrase it. :)

Edited by grey cells

Sorry . But I do not agree . Before coming to the question one has to look at the logic.If the logic fails , then there is no question of a question being raised. In this OP the question is merely a distraction and distractions are part and parcel of any puzzle. :mellow:

What do you mean by this?

Also, please elaborate on how 'it leaps over the fence and lays its eggs' does not confirm that the cockerel is laying eggs? I'm still going with some genetic mutation.

What do you mean by this?

Also, please elaborate on how 'it leaps over the fence and lays its eggs' does not confirm that the cockerel is laying eggs? I'm still going with some genetic mutation.

What I mean is that a cockerel is not capable of laying eggs unless as you mentioned it was the product of science and it would be only a vague assumption.

For the first part , I did not say that the statement 'it leaps over the fence and lays its eggs' is the confirmation that cockerel does not lay eggs.

OK .genetic mutation is possible but then it would be an assumption and it could be the next possible answer. But this one is an oldie , and implies the straightforward logic that a cockerel is a male and hence cannot lay eggs. :)

Edited by grey cells

What I mean is that a cockerel is not capable of laying eggs unless as you mentioned it was the product of science and it would be only a vague assumption.

For the first part , I did not say that the statement 'it leaps over the fence and lays its eggs' is the confirmation that cockerel does not lay eggs.

OK .genetic mutation is possible but then it would be an assumption and it could be the next possible answer. But this one is an oldie , and implies the straightforward logic that a cockerel is a male and hence cannot lay eggs. :)

Point taken and I agree. I would say that the riddle would benefit from making this an 'if statement': If the cockerel leaps over the fence blah blah blah.

Oh, StAnArchic already posted that, my bad.

Edited by itachi-san

But if we are going to have to analyze the correctness of the OP, then so many puzzles already posted would fall apart. Should we deny any post because of a typo? In my opinion, I think that the puzzle is more about the question, then picking apart the wording or factuality.

"A rabbi, a priest, and a minister walk into a bar." Are you going to make me show proof that they actually did walk into a bar? No, because it's not part of the question.

What if I said I hav two coins that make $.30, one is not a nickel. Would you say this riddle is unsolvable because "hav" isn't a word? My opinion is that we can't analyze truthfulness in these riddles, just try to take what's given as truth, and use it to answer the question presented.

Edited by Noct

What if I said I hav two coins that make $.30, one is not a nickel. Would you say this riddle is unsolvable because "hav" isn't a word? My opinion is that we can't analyze truthfulness in these riddles, just try to take what's given as truth, and use it to answer the question presented.

In some puzzles your argument holds true. But in this one , the fact that a cockerel cannot lay eggs is already established. So we need not analyze the truth. :)

In some puzzles your argument holds true. But in this one , the fact that a cockerel cannot lay eggs is already established. So we need not analyze the truth. :)

I think this tangent about analyzing the truth has raised the real problem here. If it's inherent in the question that the cockerel laid eggs, which it is, is this an established truth or not?

Also, about Noct's post concerning typos, etc.. I totally agree, and would never hold a typo against someone unless the question was totally illegible or didn't make sense because of whatever typo, mis wording, etc.. to which we all should simply ask for a re-phrasing or explanation. But, looking deep into the heart of riddles is what makes these long discussions fun. It can be silly at times, but it can also unearth totally new and reasonable answers or help to create new riddles that branch off of the discussion.

I think this tangent about analyzing the truth has raised the real problem here. If it's inherent in the question that the cockerel laid eggs, which it is, is this an established truth or not?

Also, about Noct's post concerning typos, etc.. I totally agree, and would never hold a typo against someone unless the question was totally illegible or didn't make sense because of whatever typo, mis wording, etc.. to which we all should simply ask for a re-phrasing or explanation. But, looking deep into the heart of riddles is what makes these long discussions fun. It can be silly at times, but it can also unearth totally new and reasonable answers or help to create new riddles that branch off of the discussion.

Yeah . Totally agreed about the discussions being fun. But in this question the OP , according to me , did not contain any serious errors. And tha fact(in OP) that the cockerel laid eggs is really the root cause for the argument. :rolleyes:

But I will stick with the original answer , i.e. , the oldie's answer. :)

Yeah . Totally agreed about the discussions being fun. But in this question the OP , according to me , did not contain any serious errors. And tha fact(in OP) that the cockerel laid eggs is really the root cause for the argument. :rolleyes:

But I will stick with the original answer , i.e. , the oldie's answer. :)

Yea I completely understand what you're saying. But still to me seems like cheating. To me it's like asking "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" And the answer be woodchucks can't chuck wood. But this is just my opinion and I might be standing alone here.

Yea I completely understand what you're saying. But still to me seems like cheating. To me it's like asking "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" And the answer be woodchucks can't chuck wood. But this is just my opinion and I might be standing alone here.

Yes . It is a matter of one's own opinion.Nobody can argue that point. :lol:

ok..i think the neighbour should keep the eggs...supposing the cockerel lays eggs :P it is because even if the former owns the cockerel,the cockerel by his own will laid eggs in the neighbour's house :lol: so the neighbour has a right on the eggs....moreover the neighbour can claim that the eggs were laid by his cockerel/s..since the question says that there were only some eggs laid by that cockerel. B))

Edited by Nayana