BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I don't know,if this has been posted before.I hoped not.

You are in the room without windows and hermetically closed(smooth and without clefts).The room is cylindric and covered with mirrors.How many reflections of yourself you can see?

18 answers to this question

You are in the room without windows and hermetically closed(smooth and without clefts).The room is cylindric and covered with mirrors.How many reflections of yourself you can see?

- the centre is the focal point if it is a circular (not ovoid) cylinder. So the question is where are you sanding???...

further thought... Windows can be reflective, could be glass/mirror too, hermatically sealed - so can't stay in there too long, but long enough to find out if the ceiling and floor are covered in mirrors

Maybe I miss something obvious, but is there more information??

Maybe I miss something obvious, but is there more information??

- the centre is the focal point if it is a circular (not ovoid) cylinder. So the question is where are you sanding???...

further thought... Windows can be reflective, could be glass/mirror too, hermatically sealed - so can't stay in there too long, but long enough to find out if the ceiling and floor are covered in mirrors

Yes,you missed.Stop roaming lost in space and stop for a while on the Earth to relax.Not everythink is so complicated.

Assuming you are standing in the exact center of the room, there is enough light to see, and there are a flat floor and ceiling that are both also mirrors, you see three reflections of yourself.

One streching all the way around the walls (no reflections of reflections because you're blocking the other side), and one each on the floor and ceiling.

Come to think of it, in that situation you could look up on the wall and see your reflection from the ceiling to the wall...

Perhaps I should assume only what is told in the OP. So my answer is one reflection - the one streched all the way around the room.

Edited by Seventh Sage

well, I was thinking of that too, but why go in without a light in such conditions?

Because is a puzzel.Maybe the man was forced to goes in,but doesn't matter,that's the condisions and the answer is 0.There is no light.

Assuming you are standing in the exact center of the room, there is enough light to see, and there are a flat floor and ceiling that are both also mirrors, you see three reflections of yourself.

One streching all the way around the walls (no reflections of reflections because you're blocking the other side), and one each on the floor and ceiling.

Come to think of it, in that situation you could look up on the wall and see your reflection from the ceiling to the wall...

Was written,that the room is hermetically closed and without clifts and windows-in this case from where came this "enough light to see".Under the given conditions the room is totaly dark.

so the light was on but there was nobody home - I will stay in the room till i find the switch, It is a terrifficly terrorising experience on terra firma.

knock knock!!

who's there?

LIS!

What are youd doing in there?

ash013 hermatically sealed me in, don't know how or why he put me in here!

How did you get in there?

Ask ash013 did it, he said it's a puzzle, can U ask him?

Can you tell me where the door is?

No, i can't see!

there is a switch out here, how's that!

Better thanks, hurry pls I can hardly breath

... almost in a coma I look for reflections

Edited by Lost in space

Well, assuming there is enough light to see, I would think there would be an infinite number of reflections

yep.

either infinite with light or none with no light.

What would the answer be if you were enclosed in a perfect sphere (that is lit for seeing purposes somehow) and the entire inside of the sphere was a mirror?

If no light, then 0 reflections...if enough light 1 reflection strecthing around...(ITS CYLINDRICAL MAN..and you are at the focal point)

I think that's true if only the wall is mirrored.

OP says "The room is cylindric and covered with mirrors."

that's something to think about - walls and ceiling mirrored too.

Another thought will there be infinite reflections above and below, will that be infinite x 2? (or if you take one away is it infinity x 1/2?)

A parados question comming up!