BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Photograph

rookie1ja

He's obviously looking at his son. It amazes me that so many people can think that he is looking at himself, when so many others have explained the riddle in a way that any person could presumably understand. :mellow:

Edited by The Coolest Person Ever

Admin...your solution is incorrect. The man is looking at himself. The man in the photo is his father's son, with no brothers or sisters, the only son the man would have, is the one looking at the picture!

the father of the man in the photo is the son of my father. so there are three generations. fisrt the man in the photo, then his father, and then your father. then the second man has to be you in order for his father to be your father without any siblings. then you are the son of the photographed boy, so he is your son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Poor nevilledevil, never doubt rookie1ja. I thought it was the same as you at first then when i read through, but when it was explained i read it as "son of my father; is me and i am the father of the man in the photo which in turn means my son" never read through one way take it apart and read it all ways

• 2 weeks later...

say it was my dad speaking...my brother's father is HIS father's son...so my grandfather's son is my father...my father's son is my brother!

so plainly speaking, it is the speaker's son.

Photograph - Back to the Logic Puzzles

I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?

Photograph - solution

I am looking at my son.

This works even if you do have sisters.

This whole brainteaser is impossible. The father of the person on the picture is the son of my father. That is saying I am my own father and unless I went back in time with the girl who killed her grandmother and had sex with my mother I can't do this.

• 2 months later...

It's his son, but couldn't it be also his mother? Son of the man on the photo (me, son of my mother) is a son of my father. It says "man" but it can mean it s a human, no metter what sex ^^

It's his son, but couldn't it be also his mother? Son of the man on the photo (me, son of my mother) is a son of my father.

That's not what the riddle asks for. It doesn't say say "the son of the man on the photo", it says "the father of that man on the photo".

It says "man" but it can mean it s a human, no metter what sex ^^

"Man" can be used to mean mankind, but not in the context it's used in the riddle. Describing someone in a photo as a man means he's male.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a classic logic problem. As I recall the original puzzle was

"Brothers and sisters I have none, but that man's father is my father's son"

Think about it folks, the ONLY answer is that he's referring to his own son, not himself.

Edited by Bill47

I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?--------

he's looking at himself people....he doesnt have sibblings.....think please.....

lol.. where do we get these people?!?!

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?

READ IT without the Parts that are Meaningless - It says -

"I am looking at my son". It is meaningless that you have no siblings; it is also meaningless if you are a man or a women - it is your son you are looking at.

As with most riddles - there are so many words that are only there to throw you off the track don't you agree? :D

Melanie

Edited by privateye

"I am looking at my son". It is meaningless that you have no siblings; it is also meaningless if you are a man or a women - it is your son you are looking at.

Neither caveat is meaningless. If I have a brother, the man in the photo can be my nephew.

If I'm a woman and the photo is of my son, his father could only be the son of my father if my son's father is my brother. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case. :unsure: