Coins to Diamonds

17 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What is the required minimum number of coins

to produce two diamonds (regular rhombus) ?

Posted · Report post

A B

C D E

One diamond is ABCD, the other is ABDE

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, my iPhone wasn't permitted to edit my reply, so here is my answer edited for formatting.

. .A. .B

.C. .D. .E

Posted (edited) · Report post

. .A. .B

.C. .D. .E

No CaptainEd, without the lines it looks like a trapezoid

Edited by TimeSpaceLightForce

Posted · Report post

Six coins in 3x2 grid, diamonds are spaces between coins:

31178928.jpg

Posted · Report post

Six coins in 3x2 grid, diamonds are spaces between coins:

31178928.jpg

Nice coins!A square is a rhombus, but we're looking for diamonds with straight lines.

Posted · Report post

Viewing from the side, there are several ways to do it with 5 with

US coins...

...or coins of other countries...

Posted · Report post

US coins...

post-53237-0-55120700-1361167282_thumb.j

Flat face arcade coins will do. But the 3-D arrangement above looks like it has 7 triangles.

Posted · Report post

5 coins, two rhombuses (ABCD and ABDE).

post-14287-0-62180800-1361200410_thumb.p

Posted · Report post

5 coins, two rhombuses (ABCD and ABDE).

attachicon.gifrhombuses.PNG

post-53237-0-58694300-1361207371_thumb.j

If the coins arrangement above is inverted and consider the more defined points (tangents), we see a brilliant diamond but no rhombus.

Posted · Report post

US coins...

attachicon.gifdiamonds.JPG

Flat face arcade coins will do. But the 3-D arrangement above looks like it has 7 triangles.

No, you missed the "viewing from the side" part of my post. Viewed from the side, the coins look like lines ;P. Also, the OP doesn't specify the coins have to be the same coin, so you could do it easily by using 2 coins that have a diameter that is 2X and 3 coins that are a diameter of X, which, viewed in the third dimension, are lines with those lengths

;)

Posted · Report post

No, you missed the "viewing from the side" part of my post. Viewed from the side, the coins look like lines ;P. Also, the OP doesn't specify the coins have to be the same coin, so you could do it easily by using 2 coins that have a diameter that is 2X and 3 coins that are a diameter of X, which, viewed in the third dimension, are lines with those lengths

;)

Hai! That is yes..5 coins w/ 2 double diamater. Looks like a parallelogram with line in the middle.

OP should say "same coin" but i guess no one use 4 half-cut coins (or bitable coins) to make 8 diameters.

post-53237-0-18405900-1361222860_thumb.j

It seem to have 2 hexagons?

Posted · Report post

;)

Hai! That is yes..5 coins w/ 2 double diamater. Looks like a parallelogram with line in the middle.

OP should say "same coin" but i guess no one use 4 half-cut coins (or bitable coins) to make 8 diameters.

attachicon.gif2dia.JPG

My angles were more...90 degrees ;).

If you want to use the same coin, you can stagger the stacking so that there is 3 coins in 'back' in one direction and 2 coins in 'front in a different direction. Then when you look at it from a front view, it 'seems' to be a grid of intersecting lines that form two rhombuses.

Sorry if I'm going on a completely different tangent than what the OP intended, to be honest, I'm not sure what the OP intends :lol:, but seeing your response to witzar made me think 'outside the box' (or plane of the box ;)) type solutions were acceptable.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Oooh...I know this is definitely not what the OP intended, but I can't resist...

4Mon+(2).jpg

I win :D (well, until someone finds a coin with two rhombuses drawn on it :lol:)

Edit: Oh wait, it has 3 rhombuses drawn on it! Beat that...lol

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Posted · Report post

;)

attachicon.gif2dia.JPG

My angles were more...90 degrees ;).

If you want to use the same coin, you can stagger the stacking so that there is 3 coins in 'back' in one direction and 2 coins in 'front in a different direction. Then when you look at it from a front view, it 'seems' to be a grid of intersecting lines that form two rhombuses.

Sorry if I'm going on a completely different tangent than what the OP intended, to be honest, I'm not sure what the OP intends :lol:, but seeing your response to witzar made me think 'outside the box' (or plane of the box ;)) type solutions were acceptable.

Oui! congrats Y-san .. merci

post-53237-0-22975500-1361265222_thumb.j

Posted · Report post

Ohhhhh so that's what you were thinking...lol...tres ingenieux ;).