BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

The following is a question from one of my favorite games (if you would like to know where I got it please pm me and I will give you all the info I have) Please remember that the name have been changed to protect the innocent....

Walt Clemson, a wealthy hermit, lives alone in a small cottage bordering the town of Proton. Being partially handicapped Walt had everything delivered to his cottage. The mailman was delivering his war veterans check one Thursday when he noticed that the door was ajar. Through the opening he could see Walt's body lying in a pool of dried blood. When inspector Shade arrived he surveyed the scene. On the porch were two bottles of warm milk, a Monday's newspaper, a local hardware store catalogue, charity flyers and some unopened mail. The autopsy confirmed Walt had been dead for a couple of days. Who does Inspector Shade suspect of foul play and why?

10 answers to this question

I'll go for the mailman just because there's unopened mail and it's possible he brought it by after killing him. Although, the newspaper thing sounds pretty convincing, as well.

The newspaper delivery person is at least guilty of something. If not murder, than of not reporting a murder to the police. He stopped delivering newspapers after Monday.

I think this is from MindTrap

The paperman is the one!

As the milkman, mailman and others still perform the delivery job as per normal. The paperman stops delivering newspaper after the Monday. Looks like he knew there is not neccessary to send newspaper anymore.

Mr Walt must be murdered sometimes around Monday afternoon or night.

I do not think the newspaper man is the culprit . This is because the newspaper on the porch is A monday's newspaper. So for all we know it could have been a week old or month old newspaper.Maybe the newspaperman could have been terminated from service by Mr. Walt himself.

On the porch were 2 bottles of warm milk. So the milkman would have placed them only recently.So he is also ruled out.

That leaves us with The mailman and Inspector Shade.We can leave out Inspector Shade safely as our task is to determine who Inspector Shade suspected . Surely he would not suspect himself , rather he would know it was himself.

So from the given information it leaves us with the mailman And Suicide.

I am sure if there is a murderer It can only be the MAILMAN. :)

I am curious to know your answer , DocBlack.

I do not think the newspaper man is the culprit . This is because the newspaper on the porch is A monday's newspaper. So for all we know it could have been a week old or month old newspaper.Maybe the newspaperman could have been terminated from service by Mr. Walt himself.

On the porch were 2 bottles of warm milk. So the milkman would have placed them only recently.So he is also ruled out.

That leaves us with The mailman and Inspector Shade.We can leave out Inspector Shade safely as our task is to determine who Inspector Shade suspected . Surely he would not suspect himself , rather he would know it was himself.

So from the given information it leaves us with the mailman And Suicide.

I am sure if there is a murderer It can only be the MAILMAN. :)

I am curious to know your answer , DocBlack.

The game states the following information, The paperboy, due to the fact that there was only a mondays newspaper.

I just know that it was the mailman. For if you read the story you will see that there is unopened mail near the front door, AND the mailman was there with more mail. That tells me that the mailman was there before. now the mailman is a very smart guy and has really had it out for Walt for a few years now, because all he does is sit there in that nice house and has everything in the world delivered to him. The mailman has been a family man for the last 12 years and having 6 kids and a large wife who let herself go 5 years ago, is a hard life. And from that kind of a life you would see someone that is great financially, AND has everything delivered to his home, I think that I would have off'ed him as well. so he brought Mondays mail to the door and left it and did not come back for a couple of days after he preformed the deed, and being that his son in the paperboy he told the kid to stay away from the house as well, and not wanting to gather suspicion to himself he went back to the house with the rest of his mail on Thursday. Any questions? LOL

Edited by DocBlack

I just know that it was the mailman. For if you read the story you will see that there is unopened mail near the front door, AND the mailman was there with more mail. That tells me that the mailman was there before. now the mailman is a very smart guy and has really had it out for Walt for a few years now, because all he does is sit there in that nice house and has everything in the world delivered to him. The mailman has been a family man for the last 12 years and having 6 kids and a large wife who let herself go 5 years ago, is a hard life. And from that kind of a life you would see someone that is great financially, AND has everything delivered to his home, I think that I would have off'ed him as well. and by the way he is a very smart guy so he brought Mondays mail to the door and left it and did not come back for a couple of days after he preformed the deed, and being that his son in the paperboy he told the kid to stay away from the house as well, and not wanting to gather suspicion to himself he went back to the house with the rest of his mail on Thursday. Any questions? LOL

The game states the following information, The paperboy, due to the fact that there was only a mondays newspaper.

Yes . I agree with you on the culprit being the

Mailman.

Again the newspaper is A monday's newspaper.So it could have been an old one.

:D:D
I definetly think the culprit was the mailman. He could not have commited suicide because as it stated he was handicapped, and I would imagine that it would be particularly hard to kill yourself when you are handicapped. So, I am going to stick with my mailman thery unless anyone has an extremely good reason as to why it is not the mailman. lol.
Edited by courtney ohlmann