The Chromatic Witch, Ep 1: The Gate of Blue Heaven

159 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The third door capitulated with nary a contest. Captain Wraith smiled as he watched his underlings march through it. Father must be proud...

The room they entered now was very round, perhaps even perfectly round, with cornflower blue walls (or perhaps it was better to say ‘wall’). There were no paintings or displays, the wall was a pristine barren blue. The ceiling was a metallic looking dome, and In the center of the room was a round table a shade lighter than the walls on which levitated a large metallic sphere whose surface took on a bluish hue as it reflected the color of the room.

Around it were several large, translucent, wedge shaped buttons, which were vertically labeled: (0,0,0), (0,0,1), (1.0,0), (0,1,0) and (1,1,1)

Cautiously, Orin approached the table. When he was within touching distance of it, it seemed to sense it presence and the (1,0,0) button lit up for a moment, then turned back off. Orin glanced back at Captain Wraith, who nodded, and then pressed gingerly down on the button.

A moment later, the (1,0,0) button lit up again (and turned off), and a moment later, the (0,1,0) button lit (and turned off). Orin mimicked the pattern. Then it was (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,1,0). Orin continued to repeat the shown series. After the sixth installment of the series, it became somewhat difficult for Orin to remember, but with the forthcoming aid of the other agents, he managed to get each within a few tries. The sixteenth installment was:

(1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,1,0), (0,1,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,0), (0,0,0), (1,1,1), (1,1,1), (0,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,0), (1,0,0), (0,0,1), (1,1,1), (0,0,0)

But after he had repeated it correctly (yes, he and all the rest of agents were certain that it had been correct), instead of continuing on to the next installment, the buttons remained dark.

“I’m guessing we have to figure out the rest of the series for ourselves,” Wraith spoke up after a few moments. “I have an idea, but...it seems dependent on style...”

Father’s voice came. “Yes, but I believe the Witch gives beauty the benefit of a doubt.”

Posted · Report post

I'm seeing something to do with a 3-D plane, with an X,Y, and Z axis. Perhaps it created a hint to the next part?

Posted · Report post

That would explain the "vertically labeled" bit I was confused about.

Posted · Report post

I'm seeing something to do with a 3-D plane, with an X,Y, and Z axis. Perhaps it created a hint to the next part?

i thought that too, but why would you have four of the same coordinates in a row?

i did see there are 18 buttons pushed

and the sequence has 18 1

and 36 0

don't know if this helps

Posted · Report post

i did see there are 18 buttons pushed

And yet the plot says there were 16 installments. Typo, Y-san?

Posted · Report post

saw that too if it's not a type-o. i think its a reference to six also " After the sixth installment of the series,"

six is divisible by 18 and 36

sixteen is divisible by 8

6 and 8 are divisible by 24

i think there are supposed to be 24 buttons pushed by the end, that would be a string of six more buttons

but i'm just thinking out loud it could just be a type-o

Posted · Report post

That would explain the "vertically labeled" bit I was confused about.

It's a wedge shape, so that's the way it would look.

And yet the plot says there were 16 installments. Typo, Y-san?

Yeah, something weird happened with the copy-pasting. Part got repeated. Here:

(1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,1,0), (0,1,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,0), (0,0,0), (1,1,1), (1,1,1), (0,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,0), (1,0,0), (0,0,1), (1,1,1), (0,0,0)

Posted · Report post

I think this is probably more color related than xyz axis related. I think the triplets are RGB values of some sort. So the 5 buttons correspond to red (1,0,0), green (0,1,0), blue (0,0,1), white (1,1,1) and black (0,0,0). I don't have much HTML development experience, but I think the reference to "style" refers to CSS style sheets and how colors are referenced in them. I looked up "cornflower blue" and it is one of the named colors that should be known by all browsers. It's hex value is #6495ED. (Interestingly, the blue color value used to show the coordinates is not cornflower blue, but the value #6699cc). Anyway, my thinking is that since the room is cornflower blue and the sphere is reflecting that color, I think we need to figure out how the coded sequence is related to that specific color.

Posted · Report post

I think this is probably more color related than xyz axis related. I think the triplets are RGB values of some sort. So the 5 buttons correspond to red (1,0,0), green (0,1,0), blue (0,0,1), white (1,1,1) and black (0,0,0). I don't have much HTML development experience, but I think the reference to "style" refers to CSS style sheets and how colors are referenced in them. I looked up "cornflower blue" and it is one of the named colors that should be known by all browsers. It's hex value is #6495ED. (Interestingly, the blue color value used to show the coordinates is not cornflower blue, but the value #6699cc). Anyway, my thinking is that since the room is cornflower blue and the sphere is reflecting that color, I think we need to figure out how the coded sequence is related to that specific color.

Well, following this, I see Cornflower Blue as (100,149,237) and I'm not sure how it relates here.

However, I don't think this is the correct path, since any of the given sets of numbers all give you the color black in hex code.

Here:

http://www.color-hex.com/color/010000

http://www.color-hex.com/color/000100

http://www.color-hex.com/color/000000

http://www.color-hex.com/color/010101

I'm still think about ordered trios, here, since every one of those sets of numbers looks exactly like they were plotted on a graph.

Posted · Report post

The sphere also suggests 3 dimensions.

Posted · Report post

Well, following this, I see Cornflower Blue as (100,149,237) and I'm not sure how it relates here.

However, I don't think this is the correct path, since any of the given sets of numbers all give you the color black in hex code.

Here:

http://www.color-hex.com/color/010000

http://www.color-hex.com/color/000100

http://www.color-hex.com/color/000000

http://www.color-hex.com/color/010101

I'm still think about ordered trios, here, since every one of those sets of numbers looks exactly like they were plotted on a graph.

I tried to use hex code on a previous puzzle and got this response

The agents continued to concentrate. A few of them thought it might have to do with hex values.

"Perhaps," Father responded. "But the Witch has no particular interest in the computational. She likes to play."

Posted · Report post

I tried to use hex code on a previous puzzle and got this response

The agents continued to concentrate. A few of them thought it might have to do with hex values.

"Perhaps," Father responded. "But the Witch has no particular interest in the computational. She likes to play."

And yet she used a hexcode in another previous puzzle, so the quoted clue probably had more to do with that specific puzzle than all of them.

Posted · Report post

two thoughts i had were spherical coordinate system and binary code

but i can't get binary code to work and not really sure how to use a spherical coordinate system

Posted · Report post

She was bemused at the latest pack of new toys Father had sent to sniff around her gateway. They seemed clever enough, and they had gotten past the first few rooms, true, but they would never get past this room. Creatures like them, so entrenched in the computational, would never be able to see the beauty around them, to understand it and its import. No, this was why she was what she was, why she must be what she must be and must do what she must do. Father had failed before, and here he would fail once more.

Posted · Report post

Again, a mention of "beauty." Also remember the room is a perfect circle and has a metallic sphere in the middle. The walls are a sky-blue-like cornflower blue. The ceiling: a metallic dome.

Hmm.

Posted · Report post

i think PI is going to fit in some how...Maybe

Posted · Report post

A rectangle is pretty, I'm sure you'll agree,

But that a square is better is plain to see.

While isosceles is firmly in the race,

For the triathlon, equilateral takes first place.

On such beauty you may want to reflect,

Or rotate them around with your intellect.

Posted · Report post

Reflect, Rotate, all leads to a coordinate plane.

Posted · Report post

I don't know, but the number of times the buttons have been pushed could have something to do with it

001= 1 time

100= 2 times

111= 3 times

010= 5 times

000= 5 times

Posted · Report post

as for coordinates her it is in 2-d and 3-d

Posted · Report post

Still way too cryptic for me. Sorry folks.

Posted · Report post

I'm seeing a star, so maybe the final answer is the connecting line that makes it a star?

Posted · Report post

I'm seeing a star, so maybe the final answer is the connecting line that makes it a star?

to make the star you need to start at (0,0,0)(because that is the last point in the sequence) and then connect points (0,0,1) and (1,0,0)

post-52216-0-36858400-1341852409_thumb.j