Don't go toward the landing strip hospital roof

Wasn't in a rush to have sent

That type of compliment is unsupported

Storm shelter escape pod - or - Moved downwind from the beans

Collapsed in a heap, barely alive

Nullify John's advantages

The business end of a gun

A startling covert affair

Each line describes with synonyms/short definitions, two different words and some kind of direction that one of the words should be subtracted from the other. The answer then remains with each of the ten fitting a general theme hinted at in the title. Like Somethings Fishy Here

Also: the answer is present in its entirety within the main word and only separates the subtracted word in two i.e. there is no need to rearrange letters.

Exorcise a man of the cloth

Wig out in haste

Don't go toward the landing strip

Wasn't in a rush to have sent

That type of compliment is unsupported

Storm shelter escape pod

Each line describes with synonyms/short definitions, two different words and some kind of direction that one of the words should be subtracted from the other. The answer then remains with each of the ten fitting a general theme hinted at in the title. Like

Run away / runway

Subtracting gives the letter A.

Is that the idea?

Run away / runway

Subtracting gives the letter A.

Is that the idea?

wellll, yes and no. you picked a poor one am afraid. come to think of it, put these together fairly late last night so i'd better check them all. see this one has potentially two directions to subtract, the "don't" and "strip". A different "landing strip" is needed then subtracting ("don't") the word for "go toward" leaves the answer.

STOCK ?

makes sense from the perspective of a typical cryptic clue but not what's intended here you big ham ^_^ .

makes sense from the perspective of a typical cryptic clue but not what's intended here you big ham ^_^ .

You know you're having a bad time when the nicest-man-in-the-world starts calling you ......And why didn't I read the last paragraph? No, I don't know, either.

garment-gent=arm

shipped-sped=hip

Nothing on the rest, I keep getting things that are, like close (like worchester, but no cigar :( )

yes and yes, Y-san. well done. as to the rest, suspect your example might have come from one of the clues? if so (or not) will say the rest of the answers come from general synonyms vs examples/types/associations.

le-GUM-e

am glad you stuck with that one fp, right on.

Exorcise a man of the cloth - garment - gent = arm by Yoruichi-san

Wig out in haste

Don't go toward the landing strip - helipad - head = lip by fabpig

Wasn't in a rush to have sent - shipped - sped = hip by Yoruichi-san

That type of compliment is unsupported - backhanded - backed = hand by fabpig

Storm shelter escape pod / Moved downwind from the beans - legume - lee = gum by fabpig

ps - i see you there Y-san

ps - i see you there Y-san

Yeah...I was attempting to log on to post the answer to 2 but my netbook decided that was too many programs to run simultaneously and died. Oh well...

Question: For the 7th one, am I right in thinking "collapsed" is the indicative word? I don't like to assume (unless it's going to be followed by a rigorous math proof ;P)...you know what they say about 'when you assume...' that is somewhat similar to this puzzle...

ru-SHIN-g

you got it. down to the last four.

Yeah...I was attempting to log on to post the answer to 2 but my netbook decided that was too many programs to run simultaneously and died. Oh well...

Question: For the 7th one, am I right in thinking "collapsed" is the indicative word? I don't like to assume (unless it's going to be followed by a rigorous math proof ;P)...you know what they say about 'when you assume...' that is somewhat similar to this puzzle...

guess you could say fabpig cut you off at the knees... as for your question, the direction to subtract is "collapsed in" as a(nother word for) heap is not a verb. okay, not an adjective either. being fairly generous with the hints as the synonym for "barely alive" is not the most common word but think well within the vocab of your average BrainDenner. - Ich bin ein.... umhhhhh donuts. sorry, not a clue. just some train of thought rambling.

This one is definitely stimulating my mind.

Thanks for the post!

and thank you for the compliment. welcome to BrainDen, maSkraP!

guess you could say fabpig cut you off at the knees... as for your question, the direction to subtract is "collapsed in" as a(nother word for) heap is not a verb. okay, not an adjective either. being fairly generous with the hints as the synonym for "barely alive" is not the most common word but think well within the vocab of your average BrainDenner. - Ich bin ein.... umhhhhh donuts. sorry, not a clue. just some train of thought rambling.

*Shrugs* actually it's probably more accurate to say my CPU cut me off at the knees...

And the word I was confused about was "barely", which I know is not taking away, but to me, neither really is "collapsed"...the matter is still there, just in a scrunched up fashion...but that's probably just me. :blush:

moribund-mound=rib

Nice :thumbsup:

I'm running into the 'as I try to do these, I keep coming up with more of them syndrome'... ^_^

Edited by Yoruichi-san

*Shrugs* actually it's probably more accurate to say my CPU cut me off at the knees...

And the word I was confused about was "barely", which I know is not taking away, but to me, neither really is "collapsed"...the matter is still there, just in a scrunched up fashion...but that's probably just me. :blush:

moribund-mound=rib

Nice :thumbsup:

I'm running into the 'as I try to do these, I keep coming up with more of them syndrome'... ^_^

shinless either way, eh? and the barely/collapsed issue i get, too. maybe collapsed as in fell apart or better perhaps - disintegrated. still a stretch i agree. a little riddling license to make the clues somewhat sensible is sometimes in order (as is punctuation, etc.). and am of course thankful for your munificent vocabulary. nicely figured, Y-san.

Firearm-firm=ear *doh* I should have seen it earlier but I was caught up in the fact the word had 'arm' in it and we already used arm.

:duh:

and correct again, of course. the two r's kept me thinking i had messed up this clue.

Only two left.

this has nothing to do with the solicitation of a ********** and punctuation/capitalization are just to make the clue read better so can be disregarded

Starting to toss out

Exorcise a man of the cloth - garment - gent = arm by Yoruichi-san

Wig out in haste - rushing - rug = shin by fabpig

Don't go toward the landing strip - helipad - head = lip by fabpig

Wasn't in a rush to have sent - shipped - sped = hip by Yoruichi-san

That type of compliment is unsupported - backhanded - backed = hand by fabpig

Storm shelter escape pod or Moved downwind from the beans - legume - lee = gum by fabpig

Collapsed in a heap, barely alive - moribund - mound = rib by Yoruichi-san

The business end of a gun - firearm - firm = ear by Yoruichi-san

A startling covert affair or Starting to toss out

Starting to toss out

My theory was that "affair" was 'fling', due to the gerund, and this seems to support, but I still can't figure out the corresponding word for startling/starting...as 'ash' is not a body part (well, I don't see you as the morbid type, at least)...nor are 'it', 'inch', 'utter', 'ar', 'uster', 'abbergast'...or any other word I can think of that would possibly fit...

:wacko:

As for the other one...I have a thought related to your name, but it seems not quite PC...