Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Brief Exchange of Letters

18 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A short puzzle, as I take a break from Epigraph writing. To get each answer, remove a letter from the one before, then add a letter. Doing this to the last answer can also get you the first answer.

1. Soft drink brand

2. Metal cylinder

3. Hunger Games character

4. Brownish-grey color

Posted · Report post

Are we allowed to rearrange letters?

Posted · Report post

I am thinking the first is Coke and the third is Cato but still figuring out the others.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hint: You don't have to anagram. You only add a letter to the beginning or end and remove a letter from the beginning or end.

Hint two: you are all going to hate me so much. I blame a bit of sleep deprivation on my part. I do not know if this is a fair puzzle but I expect that someone will figure it out eventually.

Edited by WitchOfSecrets

Posted · Report post

I don't know any Hunger Game characters.

I also feel as though your soft drink brand will be obscure.

Posted · Report post

It is not an obscure soft drink brand at all. It is about as major as they get. Not Coke, though.

None of those three.

Hint: Seeing as 3 relies on unfair pop culture stuff, I'll say that it's either PEETA or GALE. The first two are totally common knowledge; the fourth is a somewhat obscure, but not really totally obscure, color.

Edited by WitchOfSecrets

Posted · Report post

pepsi, pipe, peeta, taupe

Just to clarify if i get it right:

Since 3 is either PEETA or GALE, 4 would have to be xEETx or xALx, where x is either a letter or an empty space ? (we only remove one letter and add one?)

edit: yea i googled taupe aswell, but you need to anagram to get to it

Edited by Potok

Posted · Report post

Peeta and Taupe some days back, but

It doesn't follow the criteria:

Hint: You don't have to anagram. You only add a letter to the beginning or end and remove a letter from the beginning or end.

Hint two: you are all going to hate me so much. I blame a bit of sleep deprivation on my part. I do not know if this is a fair puzzle but I expect that someone will figure it out eventually.

Posted · Report post

ah, but you can drop the first letter and add to the end or vice versa, as well.

Posted · Report post

To get each answer, remove a letter from the one before, then add a letter. Doing this to the last answer can also get you the first answer.

to get from PEETA to TAUPE, you're removing a middle letter and inserting a middle letter. Or adding a letter U to the end ,and then moving the first 3 letters PEE to the end and removing E. First way it's not "the end or beginning". second way is more than "one letter"

Posted · Report post

But you did anagram, you didnt only do that ... PEETA can only result in ?EET?, cant it ? With anything else you're removing non_first_or_last letter or anagraming

Posted · Report post

It's been solved! Explaining the solution will result in my death by lynch mob, so I think I will run away now.

(Compare PEETA to PEPSI. What was lost? What was added?)

Posted · Report post

Nah, don't run. Just me being exceptonally slow (even for me) especially after peedge had more-or-less spelled it out....... :duh:

Posted · Report post

Damn that's pretty brilliant WoS :D

Posted · Report post

Damn that's pretty brilliant WoS :D

agree wholeheartedly. used to think the mark of excellence in riddling was that :duh: when all is understood and seemingly so simple after the answer is revealed. but the delayed headslap adds yet another level of excellence all together. very nice WoS!