The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

232 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

When does the next thread start?

Edit: Does the fact we have unlocked the Banquet means that this thread is over?

Edit 2: Wait, no. With the Witch the thread is never over! (dramatic music)

How many personalities do you have anyway? ;)

The original Sapphire Witch is dead. Whether posession of the ring of Red Truth grants the title of Sapphire Witch is as yet unconfirmed...

I have firm suspicions as to who the 'Sapphire Witch' and the Witch of Secrets are though...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I suspect that Molly Mae simply recognized that Thalia found out that the Witch and the Sapphire Witch might not be the same in post 118, based on the boy's comments. Molly used that in a blue statement to challenge the Witch because the question was dodged in the reply on post 119.

I have other questions in mind that I don't think are yet meant to be answered. But one that does face us now is, whatever became of the sound of a sliding tile that was heard when the button to reveal the Witch's Epigraph was pressed?

(Good question.)

A Red cylinder rose from the floor around the Sapphire Witch, a final shield against the repeated strikes of the Blue Truth. But even that wouldn't help for long, and the boy seemed torn about what to do in response to this.

Then Aziraphael made a speculation - not in the Blue, but loud enough for the boy to hear :

The original Sapphire Witch is dead. Whether posession of the ring of Red Truth grants the title of Sapphire Witch is as yet unconfirmed...

I have firm suspicions as to who the 'Sapphire Witch' and the Witch of Secrets are though.

The boy stared into space. "The title. So you weren't lying at all..." He shut his eyes, and the room went absolutely dark.

"What are you doing?" snarled the Witch of Secrets, her face lit an eerie red by the glow of her scythe.

Slowly, the contents of the room - the table, the typewriter, the cabinet, and even the Sapphire Witch - glowed with dim auras of gold. The halos brightened and coalesced into will-o'-the-wisps, which rose from their places and danced around the boy, circling closer and closer about his head. One by one, they dove inside his mind and vanished, and when the last was gone, a new person stood in the boy's place, a Witch clad in a conical hat and an iridescent cape. He had defected from the Human Side. Seeing this, the Sapphire Witch smiled, and focused harder on holding off the Blue Truth.

With the new danger apparent, the Witch of Secrets swooped in to end this fight for good:

Our host is not the Sapphire Witch!

In response, the new Witch raised his staff. "I am the Opal Sorcerer," he said, "the Witch of Promises." Then, in a flash, he enveloped the Sapphire Witch in a mantle of Golden Truth!

And our host truly is the Sapphire Witch!

------

Congratulations! You've solved all of the puzzles necessary to find the Witch's Epigraph, dispelled the illusion of the locked room and the stolen ribbon, and revealed something of the Witch's true nature. Will you join us again when the next chapter begins?

Chapter Two: The Helix and the Rose

(or, The Legacy of the Sapphire Witch)

----

(

)

Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks,

or, The Courtship of the Sapphire Witch

Puzzles, Art, and Writing:

WitchOfDoubt

Inspired by:

"When the Seagulls Cry" (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni)

Ryukishi07

Playtesting:

A. B.

Cast:

Cast of 2011:

Guests:

Kenichi Nakamura,

Ocean Zweidler

Alicia Tressler

Nat Foreman

L. V. Ford-Seaton

Walter Sexton

Batsheva Ellis

Otto Rinaldi

Staff:

Lana Rodriguez

Margaret Ye

Samuel Clayton

Bill Jackson

Maria Brand

Sal Lucas

Jaime LaSalle

Celia Marquez

Others:

Mark Ye

Unknown Person X

Cast of 2021:

Aziraphael

The boy

Cavenglok

Molly Mae

Morningstar

Plainglazed

Plasmid

rvc113

SeaCalMaster

Thalia

TheChad

Wilson

Witches and Animates:

Witches:

Annabel, the Sapphire Witch, Witch of Doubt

Thalassa, the Crimson Witch, Witch of Secrets

????????, the Opal Sorcerer, Witch of Promises

Animates:

S. C. Dudeney

Ms. Cox

Rathvon

Music (in order of appearance):

"Witch's Chess": "Golden Sneer", Umineko soundtrack

"Never Stop Thinking": "Hope", Umineko soundtrack

"The Remains are Discovered": "Dead Angle", Umineko soundtrack

"First Duel": "Liberated Liberator", Umineko Chiru soundtrack

"Victory": "Golden Nocturne (instrumental)", Umineko Chiru soundtrack

"Second Duel": "Fake Red Shoes", Umineko soundtrack

"Rain and Reminiscence": "Fall", Umineko soundtrack

"Scarlet Scythe": "Executioner", Umineko soundtrack

"End Credits": "Birth of a New Witch", Umineko soundtrack

Thanks for playing!

Edited by WitchOfDoubt

Posted · Report post

When will you start the next thread?

Posted · Report post

Now I feel like a jerk (like the overzealous bullied kid who ends up killing a puppy... =/ )

Sorry, Ann. *Hug*

Your narrative gives me chills, WoD. It makes me feel funny, since I've got the flu, as well. I'm also on drug medicine now. I hope that's not obvious.

Posted · Report post

(Morningstar: Soon - likely this weekend, perhaps a little sooner.

Molly Mae: I hope you feel better soon!)

Posted · Report post

:thumbsup:

Posted · Report post

Where is everyone?

Posted · Report post

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

Posted · Report post

Anyone aware of a new thread yet?? Am missing this rather a lot!!

Posted · Report post

Anyone aware of a new thread yet?? Am missing this rather a lot!!

Not sure how many users will be back after the crash. Don't think WoD has been back yet. :(

Disregard this post.

Edited by Molly Mae

Posted · Report post

registered there yesterday and sent a friend request. wouldn't let me pm until establishing myself with "some posts" and am not that adventurous. similar issue at one other site. let's hope.

Posted · Report post

registered there yesterday and sent a friend request. wouldn't let me pm until establishing myself with "some posts" and am not that adventurous. similar issue at one other site. let's hope.

Gah, you got me. I was going to play "mysteriously creepy person attempting to suggest he return to a former residence" or something.

Posted · Report post

Gah, you got me. I was going to play "mysteriously creepy person attempting to suggest he return to a former residence" or something.

You could still do that. . . :lol:

The Sea of Fragments

This is the void between worlds, where the Fragments of tales finished or untold float like crystalline stars, shining through the endless expanse of possibility. Human minds do not survive long in this immense space - they lose the will the breathe or scatter into their component thoughts.

One such Fragment has floated far from the others. It bears the form of a wine bottle with a blue crystal stopper, slowly spinning in oblivion. The vintage is 2011. This is the gameboard. Frozen in time, it drifts to the void, consigned to oblivion.

(

)

A gloved hand reaches through the void to grasp the bottle. Gently, it pulls out the stopper. Gently, it slides the Fragment, a roll of parchment from inside. It is an entire world, bound at its equator in golden thread.

A sickle materializes in the voyager's other hand, its blade bright and terribly sharp.

"Finally, the tale of the Sapphire Witch," says the Witch of Secrets, who has journeyed far through the Sea of Fragments to recover this gameboard. "Come. Your teller despaired of ever rediscovering you, and attempted to recreate you from the start in another place, in another world. But you are not finished!"

With a single swipe, she slices through the thread that bound the story in darkness, and the pages come free.

"Remember what you once were. Remember. Remember."

The gameboard flickered to life...

? ? ? ? ?

Now there are two stories, told in parallel. How fitting!

I imagine that some of you have already 'peeked' at that other Fragment. I discourage such cheating, but I can hardly stop you. But if you assume that what holds true in that gameboard is likewise true here, you may be in for a shock!

I am not the Sapphire Witch you know so well. I am neither as kind nor as patient. My scythe cuts truth from lies; my sickle cleaves delusion from reality.

This board is under my protection now, and if you seek a Truth that is palatable to Humans, you must fight for every shred of it.

The tale will resume soon enough. I look forward to our confrontation.

With fond regards,

The Witch of Secrets

? ? ? ? ?

Edited by WitchOfSecrets

Posted · Report post

Oh how welcome your return is, WoS. We too look forward to the resumption of our duel... May the golden truth prove no more defense than the red truth before it.

*bows*

Posted · Report post

Is it too late to join?

Posted · Report post

All I say is, let's get started.

Posted · Report post

Is it too late to join?

Not at all, everybody's welcome.

Posted · Report post

This. Is. Awesome. The tone is phenomenal, even better than the CRY anime I've seen. I look forward to the next chapters. :D

And I hope that there's a second season of Umineko that explains wth was going on as well as the second season of Higarashi did.

I absolutely love the concept of a puzzle/adventure/story. So much I'm inspired by it. Hmm...

Posted · Report post

The new chapter will begin with an opener that requires absolutely no knowledge of the previous threads to play! This will definitely help get new people involved. After that, I will index relevant posts with notes so that people can get up to speed on the most vital details.

Yoruichi-san: Thanks! It's good to have an Umineko watcher here!

If you want to know what was going on in Umineko, I recommend playing the translated sound novels! I never watched much of the anime because (I was told) it omitted the clues that were needed to have any chance of solving the story. The Witch Hunt translation group did a phenomenal job of translating the novels, with translator's notes and everything.

I'll be posting the new thread pretty soon, I think! I just need to check up on a few things.

Posted · Report post

How come you made a new account, WoS?

Posted · Report post

How come you made a new account, WoS?

New account?

The Witch of Doubt and Witch of Secrets are different people!

Posted · Report post

New account?

The Witch of Doubt and Witch of Secrets are different people!

She uses the Red Truth! She's a witch! (Sorry, I just had to use gold.)

Edited by Morningstar