BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Key

rookie1ja

Key - Back to the Matchstick Puzzles

1. Move four matches so that three squares are created.

2. Move three matches so that two rectangles are created.

3. Move two matches so that two rectangles are created.

post-2-1175349957_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Key - solution

1. three squares

post-2-1175351536_thumbgif

2. two rectangles

post-2-1175351561_thumbgif

3. two rectangles

post-2-1175351673_thumbgif

• 1 month later...

It's not a perfect square. The upper-left and lower-right sides form the hypotenuse of a 43 x 43 x ~61 pixel triangle, while the upper-right and lower-left sides form the hypotenuse of a 46 x 46 x ~63 pixel triangle. However, I'd say that's close enough for a hand drawing that's just meant to show the idea. Also, there are technically gaps between the matches and the edges don't perfectly line up. But if you discount that, it's a rhombus, square and rectangle as well as others:

-- If you draw straight lines along the outside edges of the matches (or the inside edges, or the centerlines):

1. It's a polygon because it's a closed area with straight lines as boundaries

2. It's convex because no interior angles are greater than 180°

3. It's a quadrilateral because it's a polygon with 4 sides

4. It's a parallelogram because it's a quadrilateral and opposing sides are parallel

5. It's a rectangle because it's a parallelogram and all adjacent sides form right angles

-- If you discount the 2 pixel difference in side lengths:

6. It's a rhombus because it's a parallelogram and all sides are equal length

7. It's a square because it's a rectangle and a rhombus

• 2 months later...
It's not a perfect square. The upper-left and lower-right sides form the hypotenuse of a 43 x 43 x ~61 pixel triangle, while the upper-right and lower-left sides form the hypotenuse of a 46 x 46 x ~63 pixel triangle. However, I'd say that's close enough for a hand drawing that's just meant to show the idea. Also, there are technically gaps between the matches and the edges don't perfectly line up. But if you discount that, it's a rhombus, square and rectangle as well as others:

-- If you draw straight lines along the outside edges of the matches (or the inside edges, or the centerlines):

1. It's a polygon because it's a closed area with straight lines as boundaries

2. It's convex because no interior angles are greater than 180°

3. It's a quadrilateral because it's a polygon with 4 sides

4. It's a parallelogram because it's a quadrilateral and opposing sides are parallel

5. It's a rectangle because it's a parallelogram and all adjacent sides form right angles

-- If you discount the 2 pixel difference in side lengths:

6. It's a rhombus because it's a parallelogram and all sides are equal length

7. It's a square because it's a rectangle and a rhombus

STOP YOU MAKE MY BRAIN HURT!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

• 2 months later...

So, Fosley, you're kind of an idiot, huh? Since the matchsticks in the image don't form a perfect square to the pixel we must assume it's on purpose, correct? It couldn't possibly be a forgiveable offense by an author who assumed their readers would have the common sense to recognize the puzzle was a brain teaser, not an exercise in 6th grade math, right? In fact... come to think of it... since we're not assuming anything here... what gives - we weren't provided with an equation for shaping the head of the match in two dimensions - let alone three (everyone knows a real match couldn't possibly exist in only two dimensions)! Crazy! And, wait, are we to assume that the shaft of a matchstick is perfectly straight and true? No curvature? I mean, it would be completely reasonable to assume at least a 2-3% deflection in poor quality wood, right? I mean - go to Lowes and check out a typical 2x4! Them things are like bent in half, goshdarnit (I "spoke" like a hick there on purpose, grammar nazis)! But wait! What kind of matches are these?!? They might be from a matchbook and thus not possessing a wooden shaft! It might be cardboard! In which case, we have to wonder if they're placed with their longest side parallel to the surface or perpendicular (as viewed from either end of the match, you little technical bugger, you)! And are all of the matches arranged with a similar orientation to the surface? Certainly having some placed perpendicular and others parallel would present a whole slew of challenges in the third dimension (see previous matchhead curvature questions). But wait, you said it was a matchbook? So was the matchbook in my back or front pocket when I sat down before arranging the puzzle? That would certainly impact the curvature! I'm not a portly fellow, but I can bend a cardboard match with the best of 'em when I sit on it!

This is all so confusing! I wish I could safely assume that all matches were uniform, not drawn to scale, and offered as a representative figure aiding in a simple exercise to pass the time somewhere between your 9th and 14th beer!

At some point you'll realize the real brilliant kids are the ones who can hide the nerdy questions deep down inside (where they belong 97% of the time) and function like normal people, when necessary, instead of trying to induce respect by spouting bullsh*t.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
That was pretty well said Jayp.

XD

Hey, Fosley, have you looked at the matchstick cow yet? Maybe you shouldn't... you might be up all night with those old text books of yours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

in the first picture there were already 2 rectangles, so assignment 2 and 3 were already fullfilled

(a square is also a rectangle)

• 1 month later...

:huh:

when i was looking at the second puzzle of the matchstick key ( Move three matches so that two rectangles are created ) i came up with a solution that worked but when i checked the spoilers to see what the answer to number three was it wasnt there. so here you go, have a solution. what do you think?

post-8421-1214411810_thumbgif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For numbers two and three...don't you already have two rectangles

/\___

\/ |_|

The top diamond and the lower square are both squares, and both rectangles

(I hope that symbol-drawing looks like its supposed to)