BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

A Matter of Degrees

Shakeepuddn

Question

One evening, Bob, Sally, and Jim were sitting around relaxing after dinner when Sally got up to get her shawl and wondered aloud how cold it was outside. After a minute or two Bob suddenly spoke up and stated that it was exactly 71 degrees Fahrenheit. Sally asked him how he could possibly know that and Bob said, “That’s easy, Jim told me.” But there was no thermometer in the house. In fact, Jim actually had no idea what the temperature was. Nevertheless, Bob was correct. It was exactly 71 degrees outside. Explain.

14 answers to this question

One evening, Bob, Sally, and Jim were sitting around relaxing after dinner when Sally got up to get her shawl and wondered aloud how cold it was outside. After a minute or two Bob suddenly spoke up and stated that it was exactly 71 degrees Fahrenheit. Sally asked him how he could possibly know that and Bob said, “That’s easy, Jim told me.” But there was no thermometer in the house. In fact, Jim actually had no idea what the temperature was. Nevertheless, Bob was correct. It was exactly 71 degrees outside. Explain.

Arguing some semantics

You said that there is no thermometer inside the house, but either they are outside, or the thermometer is outside.

Bob has an iPhone

Might I add

The IPhone's name is Jim.

and a couple of my own possibilities

Jim has Alzheimer and forgot that he told Bob the temperature earlier, which is why he has no idea.

Jim is the name of a thermometer sitting OUTSIDE since there are no thermometers in the house and since a thermometer is non-living it cannot 'have an idea' what the temperature was.

Jiminy Cricket.

BINGO!!

"Jim" is a snowy tree cricket, which chirps at a specific rate depending on the ambient temperature. Dolbear's Law is a very basic formula for determining exact temperature where T= 50 + (N (chirps/min) - 40) / 4. Generic field crickets can be measured to within one degree F of actual temperature.