BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Impossible Paper

Question

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope I am putting this in the correct section.

This is one of my favorite puzzles.

You MUST refer to the attached images.

Challenge:

Create what you see using ONLY ONE sheet of paper and ONLY THREE cuts.

No glue, no tape, no magic, no photoshop.

Nothing is used except a single piece of paper and a scissor to make the three cuts.

The pictures are real and this is not a trick.

(But it is a solvable puzzle - I hope it is not too easy for the crowd here)

post-50258-0-85684900-1322012261.jpg

post-50258-0-65208000-1322012276.jpg

post-50258-0-33297400-1322012291.jpg

post-50258-0-50995700-1322012306.jpg

post-50258-0-18466600-1322012321.jpg

Enjoy!

Juggernaut

Edited by rookie1ja

20 answers to this question

Don't feel like actually taking out a piece of paper and taking a photo of it, so I'll do my best with text:

|_ _ _ _------------|

|--------- _ _ _ _ _|

|_ _ _ _------------|

|_____________|

note: short dotted lines are just spacers since the spoiler doesn't recognize spaces.

then fold the paper half-mountain, -half-valley folds perpendicular to the cuts, where they all line up.

Edited by Akariass

didnt get it ...... how to do it?? someone pls explain...... and good wrk juggernaut evnthough it ws too simple for evry1 else..

I will use labeling to assist so start by labeling the 4 corners of the paper A, B, C and D. Fold paper in half so that A is under D and B is under C, to form crease, then straighten paper. Locate a point X in the center of the crease and points E on crease half way between X and edge AD and locate point F half way between X and edge BC. From side AB, All tree cuts are made perpendicular to the crease. First cut, from side AB to point X, next 2 cuts from side CD to points E and F. The cuts have formed additional corner, on A side, call the corner nearest B as G and point on CD nearest C as H and we can now take BG and fold downward, while swinging CH upward until the sides reverse and we are now looking at the bottom side of the paper on the BC edge while still top side on AD edge. Easier to do than explain so actually perform the steps and I think it will be obvious.

didnt get it ...... how to do it?? someone pls explain...... and good wrk juggernaut evnthough it ws too simple for evry1 else..

To explain what Akariass said:

Assume this is the piece of paper with some labels on it for explanation.

A-----B-----C-----D
| |
| |
E F G H G
| |
| |
H--------I--------J

Make cuts as BF, CH and IG. Now hold the paper from points E and G and twist from the right hand (point G) by 180 degree. Thats it.

Edited by robo

To explain what Akariass said:

Assume this is the piece of paper with some labels on it for explanation.

A-----B-----C-----D
| |
| |
E F G H G
| |
| |
H--------I--------J

Make cuts as BF, CH and IG. Now hold the paper from points E and G and twist from the right hand (point G) by 180 degree. Thats it.

Couldn't draw better :(

For some reason my images got moved to a "spoiler" section on my original post - anyone who did not see the original pictures needs to look there to know what the puzzle is about - it is not a spoiler in my post.

Juggernaut

looks like a banana skin in 3 of Juggernaut's photos (first post)...?

LOL!

I guess you are referring to the felt protectors on the bottom of the filing cabinet in the background?

Must protect those hard-wood floors!

Perhaps I can take another picture as a "guess what this is" type of puzzle - it does have the effect of looking like a banana skin (although a tiny one).

Thanks!

Edited by Juggernaut1

LOL!

I guess you are referring to the felt protectors on the bottom of the filing cabinet in the background?

Must protect those hard-wood floors!

Perhaps I can take another picture as a "guess what this is" type of puzzle - it does have the effect of looking like a banana skin (although a tiny one).

Thanks!

Im sure your response would have been much different if that was in fact a banana peel e.g 'big deal!! there's a banana peel on my floor! Wow you opened your eyes! ' lol.... :) im patiently awaiting your next 'spot the....' puzzle. :-)