BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

2 Identical Sections

2 Identical Sections - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Slice the picture into 2 identical (Edit: symmetrical jagged cut) sections.

post-2-1175348261_thumbgif

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

2 Identical Sections - solution

post-2-1175348275_thumbgif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, they are mirrored. You would need to "flip" the shape for them to be identical, not turn.

The puzzle doesn't mention you must cut along the lines either. You could cut from corner to corner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Couldn't you just cut it horizantally at the 3 and a 1/2 square? Then if you flipped one side horizantally, it would look the same as the other side, so they would be symmetrical.

• 1 month later...
2 Identical Sections - Back to the Geometry Puzzles

Slice the picture into 2 identical (Edit: symmetrical) sections.

post-2-1175348261_thumbgif

2 Identical Sections - solution

post-2-1175348275_thumbgif

rookie1ja - usually when people post puzzles like these they provide an explanation for how they came to the solution. do you have any suggestions for what rational was used in finding the solution?

rookie1ja - usually when people post puzzles like these they provide an explanation for how they came to the solution. do you have any suggestions for what rational was used in finding the solution?

well, that was years ago ... I guess I started from the jagged corners trying to find the same pattern in the other half ... played around the center ... probably not very scientific :D ... just playing with squares, tried to follow some symetrical pattern and then another one etc.

• 1 month later...

Found a loophole guys. The directions say slice so that it is symmetrical. I admit, if you slice as shown and then rotate 90 degrees to the right and slide it, it would indeed be symmetrical. But never the less, the directions only permitted you to slice, nothing else. .'. no real solution

Edited by Aericron

Found a loophole guys. The directions say slice so that it is symmetrical. I admit, if you slice as shown and then rotate 90 degrees to the right and slide it, it would indeed be symmetrical. But never the less, the directions only permitted you to slice, nothing else. .'. no real solution

this has already been picked up for another puzzle - I edited it to say "jagged cut"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I started by counting the squares, and determining there needed to be 16 pieces in each piece...then I started with opposite corners looking for the largest section of puzzle. Found that using the 4x2 section was the only way it would work and have boxes left to work with. From there you just have to guess and play with it...

It took me an hour, so I thought I would try to help out with the logic I used, but obviously not the most efficient way!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that's so cool . I think the best way to solve those kinds of problem like this is to write a program which helps us cut squares, turn them , and check them whether they are identical or not . But I don't think that is not the way satisfying those who like to solve puzzle because we just write a program and expect it do it for us - it doesn't show how smart we are. :)

• 2 years later...